Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shoping around for carbs a found a good deal on a edelbrock performer from jegs . How will this carb be on angles

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
unless it's the q-jet it's going to suck, plain and simple. I tried one and had zero luck.

-Scott

·
Registered
124 Posts
these guys are right they suck offroad even with the springloaded needles. had one on my old bronco with a 429 and the stock motorcraft was better.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've had decent luck on mine. It's not a hard core rock crawler by any means, but it does okay on hills and it hasn't flooded or stalled out on me yet. gotta do some tuneup work on it, but otherwise I like it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Q-jets are great, but I don't think they ever made a squarebore. I would go with a Holley Truck Avenger, I had an Edelbrock and I hated it-loads up easy,PITA to tune, and it will never work well at angles.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
i have a performer 750 on my dodge and i have practically had that on its side driving through a canyon that was barely wide enough for a four wheeler, it was running rough but as long as i kept my foot on the gas a little bit it stayed running.

This is about how steep it was-----\

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Performers work great for a carb if tweaked properly. I had one on my first buggy and I was able to run quite a few hardcore trails with it. Once I got into competing it got swapped for FI but here are some mods that worked for me. You may find more improvements with additional tweaking.

1. put in the offroad needle/seats
2. adjust the float level to 9/16" from bottom of lid to top of float.
3. plug the transfer port between the bowls with JB weld or that gas tank repair epoxy. This open port is the main cause of flooding on sidehills.
4. some people have luck with a fuel press reg. set at about 2# but it starved mine on steep climbs so I took it off.
5. keep the carb clean, and use 2 fuel filters- the first a standard inline and the second a fuel inj. inline.
6. I like to use an electric fuel pump (like the nippondenso style from a mid 80's nissan pu. mounted near tank.

FYI my buggy (460) was faster with the carb than w/ projection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts