Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

An appeal to someone more knowledgeable than myself.

I have a 1988 bronco 2, that I swapped in a 1995 351 punched out, stroked out to 392 cu and 10:0 compression.

I didn't like my E4OD/Atlas 2 combo, so I swapped the E4OD for a 1989 AOD transmission.

I have it in the truck, and I start the motor. I put the transmission into gear, but nothing happens. Reverse, Drive, Nada.

I disconnect my cooler lines, and no fluid is going through them at neutral.

This is the AOD, not the AODE. I only have one electrical connector in the side, and it has two wires for starter, two for back up lights, and one for neutral sensing.

What could be up? I can bang through those gears like nothing is connected. Who knows what might be up? The torque convertor went in smoothly, but the tranny is a junk yard find from a local known yard.

Could the pump be completely dead? The fluid was bright red and the filter clean...

Adam

·
Registered
701 Posts
well i dont know what your problim is but i can tell you the E4OD
is a better tranny ive gone tru 3 AOD's one built by a shop the other i built . they are junk ive now got a C4 in my bronco2

and my 90 F150 has a C6 in it that replaced the Aod when OD went .

ya i know someone's goin to say the aod can handle blah blah blah but they are not 4x4 friendly :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
The AOD went out at 8,000 miles on my dads 1988 FS Bronco when it was new in Canada.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
did you ever remove the pump? if so the alignment of the pump is critical and fluid may not be circulating. also you may have stacked the pump.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You didn't use the E4OD flex plate with the AOD did you, I made that mistake and immediately fried my pump on my AOD and a fresh rebuild as well, I lost all line pressure before I could even take it for a test drive and I also had no fluid coming out my cooler lines.
You’ll need a 28oz. balance flex plate for the 351W unless you’ve changed that with the build, I found that the Early Bronco C-4 flex plate and the AOD flex plate where exactly the same except the E.B. C-4 is a 28 oz. balance flex plate that’s what I ended up using on my recent 5.8 swap into my E.B.
I don’t know if you are aware of the AODominators on Yahoo join and ask all the Ford OD tranny ??? you like.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
flexplates

I did bolt the aod torque convertor to the e4od flexplate.

I did this because the stroker 351 was balanced to my E4od flexplate.

Should I get an AOD flexplate to make this work?

WHY can't the e4od flexplate be compatible with the AOD torque convertor if the bolt holes line up?

I'm missing something here... How could the flexplate kill anything if:

The starter bolts up and works, and the torque convertor bolts up and works?

Adam

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
how do you know if the torque converter works if the vehicle does not move? Tow it to a trans shop and let them do a pressure check on the trans. There is 2 or 3 pipe plugs on the cooler line side of the transmission and I do not remember which one you check the pressure with. if there is no pressure then the clutches will not engage, and the pump is probanly fried or misaligned. if pressure is to high then then it will fry the trans within under 4 miles. I do not have my tech book for the aod. if I did I could tell you which plug to pull and tap into.

·
Registered
254 Posts
if you dont have the correct depth on the flex plate, when you bolt up the converter it can pull out of the pump, therefore the pump wont work:rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I pulled it...

And I have it in the back on my truck.

The improper flex plate/torque convertor story sounds the most plausible of all.

Which flexplate would you guys have me use? Right now it is the stock one off of a 1995 351 W.

As for the line pressure, I don't think I could test it, since I think I have none. When I pull the cooler lines and start it up, nothing circulates from there, in any gear. I done tried that.

So, I think I'll bring it near to a tranny shop monday.

I don't mind getting that flexplate, though. Which one should I use? Should I go for the stock one off of the 1989 302 that this AOD was originally bolted too?

Adam

·
Registered
318 Posts
If the E4OD flex plate is the one that came with the 351w than it is a 28 oz. imbalance and is .100 to thick and forcing the snout of the torque convertor against the pump destroying the gear and pump and creating a ton on metal debris jamming up your valve body, the exact same problem I had 8(, like you I also thought if my torque convertor bolt pattern matched it must be O.K. to use, WRONG, the distance from where it bolts to the crank and where the T.C. bolts on is thicker than the AOD flex plate.
I checked the AOD and Early Bronco C-4 flex plate with a depth gage and they are with in .005 of each other and same bolt pattern for the T.C. and it’s a 28oz. imbalance like all 351W so that is what I used, also found one at NAPA I could’ve ordered off a early 80’s car with the 5.8/AOD combo for approx. $60.00, might have the P.N.# if you want that.
Trust me on what I say, I’m $700.00 *2 rebuilds and $300.00 * 2 T.C. and I fried my 2nd gear drum and clutches which may have warped my case, had to use another case after all this because there was no logical reason why my AOD wasn’t working after my bone head mistake was figured out, tried out another case and it worked fine again, if it was a street transmission I would probably never have discovered after all this at 60^ inclines climbing in the rocks it drops out of gear after stopping and idling, so now I have it out again and in the shop for another rebuild. Good Luck, Francois.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OH

Wow, you said a mouthful. Where werew you when I was starting this project?

Okay, I think I'll run down to Napa tomorrow morning *after* I get this AOD into the tranny shop to be checked out. I never knew that teh flexplates were any different.

I never knew that less than an eighth of an inch could cause so much trouble. Sheesh. My AOD wouldn't even pump any fluid out along the cooler lines, I wonder if the flexplate position was jamming the torque convertor up in there, preventing it from turning at all?

No fluid movement=no gears?

Anyway, I'll go hunt down that flexplate thomorrow morning. What kind of car did you use? A crown vic would be my first guess..

Anyway, I'll hit the NAPA and the transman shop tonorrow, and let you know how it goes.

Take Care,

Adam

·
Registered
84 Posts
would a flex plate from an 88' mustang work with an 89' AOD. Now I'm wondering if I have the right flexplate. I was going to be putting fluid into a freshly done conversion and now I won't be till I find out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: OH

Adam McLaughlin said:
Wow, you said a mouthful. Where werew you when I was starting this project?

Okay, I think I'll run down to Napa tomorrow morning *after* I get this AOD into the tranny shop to be checked out. I never knew that teh flexplates were any different.

I never knew that less than an eighth of an inch could cause so much trouble. Sheesh. My AOD wouldn't even pump any fluid out along the cooler lines, I wonder if the flexplate position was jamming the torque convertor up in there, preventing it from turning at all?

No fluid movement=no gears?

Anyway, I'll go hunt down that flexplate thomorrow morning. What kind of car did you use? A crown vic would be my first guess..

Anyway, I'll hit the NAPA and the transman shop tonorrow, and let you know how it goes.

Take Care,

Adam
Oh yeah, it was turning but with a lot of pressure against it from the snout on the T.C., I guarantee you ate your pump and filled your AOD up with metal debris from it. A test is to be able to push the T.C. stud around freely in the hole in the flex plate after you bolt the bell housing down with out the nuts on the studs of the flex plate.
Lesson learned will cost you a complete disassembly of your AOD and cleaning of everything, I know I saw how much crap was in the valve body when my tranny builder took it apart.
Yeah your on the right track, I think it was a carbed 351W/AOD combo, I'll see what I can find on it and post it.
I found that flex plate by doing a search on NAPA's website.
Well I'm sorry to here someone else is having the exaxt problem I had. Good luck, Francois.

·
Registered
318 Posts
blown66 said:
would a flex plate from an 88' mustang work with an 89' AOD. Now I'm wondering if I have the right flexplate. I was going to be putting fluid into a freshly done conversion and now I won't be till I find out.
Yeah as long as it was an AOD flex plate I can't think of another auto tranny Ford put in that year Mustang.
Pull the nuts off the studs on the T.C. and see if you can move the stud back & forth in it's hole if so you should be o.k. if not you have bind and thats a problem.
Sounds like you used an AOD flex plate what I noticed was the AOD flex plate actually has a stamping on some of them that says AOD and the wrong flex plate I used was stamped E40/C-6 both stampings are in a little Ford oval on the T.C. side I think.
Good Luck, Francois.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Aplication:1981 LTD 351 CI/5.8L V8
NAPA P.N.# 600-5012
Quoted: $58.19
After serching in the garage and my car glove box for this note for about a 1/2 hour when I got home in the wee hours in the A.M. I found it under my keyboard just now :p
Good Luck, Francois.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same problem when I swapped a 351W into my Bronco where the 302 used to sit. I went and bought a 351W C-6 flexplate and bolted it to the AOD. I burned up TWO AODs before I found out the AOD flexplate is different. I'm running a C-6 for the time being 'til I can get my AOD apart and fixed. Any Crown Vic Police Interceptor package thoughout the 80s should work as they had 5.8s and AOD.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay,

This morning the AOD and torque convertor went into the tranny shop. Looks like the pump is froze, but not shredded and the tranny is clean throughout. The torque convertor is deformed where the snout meets the input shafts. Doh!

I did go to the wreckers and find a flexplate for a 1990 302 which is stamped AOD inside an oval. Picked it up for $26.88.

Looks like I am going to be getting a new TC at $160, a new pump at $75, and I need to get a new Tv lever since I broke mine off earlier and just welded the throttle lever to the broken shaft the last time the tranny was in the truck. All told it might be up to $300.

BUT, later on in the week I should have the truck running...

if only I can sneak it in between my full time job, my 16 units and 2 midterms.

To those of you (francoise maybe) who swapped an e4od out for something else, what did you do for your computer issue? I am thinking of changeing my computer to a stick shift computer, but I want to know if the performance gain is world the $200 and week's wait from dearborne, michigan...

Is there anything else you guys can suggest for my swap project?

Adam

·
Registered
318 Posts
Adam McLaughlin said:
Okay,

This morning the AOD and torque convertor went into the tranny shop. Looks like the pump is froze, but not shredded and the tranny is clean throughout. The torque convertor is deformed where the snout meets the input shafts. Doh!

I did go to the wreckers and find a flexplate for a 1990 302 which is stamped AOD inside an oval. Picked it up for $26.88.

Looks like I am going to be getting a new TC at $160, a new pump at $75, and I need to get a new Tv lever since I broke mine off earlier and just welded the throttle lever to the broken shaft the last time the tranny was in the truck. All told it might be up to $300.

BUT, later on in the week I should have the truck running...

if only I can sneak it in between my full time job, my 16 units and 2 midterms.

Is there anything else you guys can suggest for my swap project?
To those of you (francoise maybe) who swapped an e4od out for something else, what did you do for your computer issue? I am thinking of changeing my computer to a stick shift computer, but I want to know if the performance gain is world the $200 and week's wait from dearborne, michigan...

Adam
302/5.0 = 50oz. imbalance, 351W./5.8=28oz.maybe you can still get your $$$ back

I'm running a 91 Mustang, auto tranny, 5.0 MAF computer with a 5.8/AOD combo, I'm not aware of the performance gains with with a manual computer.
I'm not sure on this but I think you can run an auto comp. with a manual tranny but you can't run a manual comp. with a auto tranny, I don't think it knows how to compensate when you come to a stop in gear with the auto tranny and tends to stall, like I said I'm not sure on this

Good Luck, Francois.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh come on. Do you mean to tell me that the motors are diferently balanced?

Crap. I think I'll take my flexplates to the machine shop tomorrow morning and see what they can suggest or do.

That stroked and balanced 392 is going to love the imbalance.

Thank you for informing me. I never would have known that until it was too late...

How does your 5.8 like the 5.0 computer? What kind of codes does it prop up on you when it's running?

Adam

1 - 20 of 20 Posts