Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a blazer, found one fully loaded with cold AC but it has a chevy 305 v8. It will be driven to the trail and back, about an hour, and for the time being will be stock except for some 31 or 33's. How bad will it be with the 305, Im not heavy on the skinny peddle.

Who wheels with a 305 v8 and what are you wheeling.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Looking at getting a blazer, found one fully loaded with cold AC but it has a chevy 305 v8. It will be driven to the trail and back, about an hour, and for the time being will be stock except for some 31 or 33's. How bad will it be with the 305, Im not heavy on the skinny peddle.

Who wheels with a 305 v8 and what are you wheeling.

Thanks
well from what i hear from old timers the 305 is a dog compaird to a 350. that being said i imagin youll be ok in the bush with it and they claim a 305 is hard to kill. thats all i know about chevy's

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
itll work. my first k5 blazer had 273 gears and 38 inch tires with the 305. also the part time np203 with its 2:1 low gearing didnt help. i wheeled that truck for about a year like that. very underpowered but i still had loads of fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnbwcQR2oio for the lazy forward to about :29 that truck was floored :p

·
Registered
402 Posts
the 305 really is not that bad had one in mine till the i spun a bearing. like said earlier if it just ant enough for you just up grad to the 350 for a Little of nothing.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
Just get a little more aggressive on your timing & it'll be okay. It's not a 350, and certainly not a 400 (my fav), but it's still a Chevy Smallblock V8. You'll have more grunt than the stock Jeeps do. And as mentioned, if the power bug gets to you, more cubes will bolt in relatively easy down the road sometime.

TEX

·
Registered
27 Posts
The previous owner of my CJ5 put a 305 into it, I have ran it long and hard through much abuse and is running fine. I am only running 32"s on stock axles/gears and I have never had a problem with it, always seems to have enough power.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I had a K10 with a 305 in it years back. Ran good. When it was rebuild time, i ended keeping it. I did a performance build on it and it ran like a raped ape. I'd build one again. Not a bad motor at all.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
My vote is for a 454.

Everything will bolt right up. Mmmmm.....big block power....:homer:

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can build them pretty bad ass if you want something that can spin 8-9000 RPM. Typicaly you wouldn't want a motor like that for what we do, but those short stroke motors sure can be fun.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
you will have plenty of power to have fun with 33s.
agreed. my s10 is running blazer axles with 373 gears and 33s and has more then enough power and im only running the 4.3

·
Registered
242 Posts
I only said it CAN, not that it should or how long it would last when pushed to those extremes:D:D. I wouldn't mind seeing a piston eject its self through the hood though:flipoff2:. Edit: and if you try those shenanigans I REALLY hope that you would have done a lot of work to the bottom end.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I only said it CAN, not that it should or how long it would last when pushed to those extremes:D:D. I wouldn't mind seeing a piston eject its self through the hood though:flipoff2:. Edit: and if you try those shenanigans I REALLY hope that you would have done a lot of work to the bottom end.
hahaha well i was trying to blow it... it was mostly stock just bummed it dented my hood... I had already bought a suburban as a doner that had a 454 and th400 so i figured.. who uses the p.o.s. 305 anyway so lets go have some drunkin fun... just wish i had taken some pics

1 - 19 of 19 Posts