Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on this page: http://www.state.tn.us/safety/cve/forms/trailerinspectionrequirements.pdf

It states that any trailer with a gross weight of 3000lbs or more MUST have brakes on ALL wheels.
any trailer with a gross weight of 1500-3000lbs or more must have brakes on 1 axle.

So much for the discussion of having brakes only on one axle could help if the brakes lock up, blah blah blah

·
Premium Member
25,825 Posts
Eskimo said:
on this page: http://www.state.tn.us/safety/cve/forms/trailerinspectionrequirements.pdf

It states that any trailer with a gross weight of 3000lbs or more MUST have brakes on ALL wheels.
any trailer with a gross weight of 1500-3000lbs or more must have brakes on 1 axle.

So much for the discussion of having brakes only on one axle could help if the brakes lock up, blah blah blah
Iowa law is same: Brakes on both axles
Nebraska law: Brakes on one axle.

;)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
co has same law. oddly the dealers sell em with brakes on one axle only all the time

·
Poseur SUV
23,699 Posts
Eskimo said:

I'm pretty sure that rule is the same here too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I guess I will break the TN law. Brakes on one axle only. Trailer
is 7500 GVW. When I build my next trailer going 12000 and brakes on both axles. Hope they don't shoot me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
James_Fendley said:
I guess I will break the TN law. Brakes on one axle only. Trailer
is 7500 GVW. When I build my next trailer going 12000 and brakes on both axles. Hope they don't shoot me.:rolleyes:
As long as it's legal in the "home" state that it's plated in then it's legal everywhere else.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
70~K5 said:
As long as it's legal in the "home" state that it's plated in then it's legal everywhere else.
Ummm, I doubt that HIGHLY. Maybe the cop will be nice and let you off with a warning, but you are subject to the laws of the state you're driving in.

The window tint law comes to mind...

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
Fryman, check out http://www.roadmasterinc.com/laws.htm

Oregon does not require break-away brakes or trailer brakes. In Washington both are required over 3K. I just looked at some new trailers and the dealers in PDX put on break-away brakes if it's going to be registered in Washington.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Now ain't that some shit? I'm just going by what I was told at the State Patrol office when I went to have a used trailer inpsected.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
70~K5 said:

CHP is cracking down hard on hobbiests, and race teams coming over Donner Pass with insufficient brake power, on either trailer or tow vehicle. I have an uncle who works at a trail fab shop here in Sacramento. He told me CHP has been turning away out of staters who are not in compliance.

It is the same for window tinting, emissions, mudflaps, brakes. You must comply with the state you are in.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
FYRMAN said:
Now ain't that some shit? I'm just going by what I was told at the State Patrol office when I went to have a used trailer inpsected.
Maybe he just figured you needed more brakes because your from Washington :flipoff2: .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts