Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Century 131b cordless rechargable wire feed welder:D:D:D:D
Been waiting to get one of these for a year now. Got it at www.harborfreight.com ITEM 39443-2VGA for $300:D:D.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
I thought you were gonna say "Howe steering system"!

I was thinking, "DAMN! That was FAWKING FAST!":eek:

Nice welder BTW.

:flipoff2:

Hef

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That is awsome! Forget the premire power welder!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
desertoy said:
A Century 131b cordless rechargable wire feed welder:D:D:D:D
Been waiting to get one of these for a year now. Got it at ITEM 39443-2VGA for $300:D:D.
A friend of mine broke the steering arm off his knuckle last summer at Sluice. Another friend brought one of those welders along. Damn, what a nice easy repair that was. :D

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
not to bag on the product...or rain on the parade.......but I think Sillyneck tried to use one of those when he broke at sluice and it sucked......but then again sillyneck was welding :flipoff2: (j/k)

have you fired it up yet and tested it to hte home welder, I'd like to hear the diff.

but it might get you home...good buy

·
Registered
636 Posts
i hate you, thats another thing i have top buy. I just got a Lincoln Electric mig welder whith gas bottle for $800.
That thing looks like it could be fun, but untill i have another $300 ill just use my spare battery and jumper cables...:eek:

·
Registered
148 Posts
How do some of you experts think something like this compares to a Ready Welder? I had decided that was the route I was going to go for a portable.

-Bart

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
john that is the same one that i have.. another guy had one out at tds and welded up re:todd's pitman arm.. bender also used it to weld up jeeprecoveryteams frame.. said it works awesome

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
bart1 said:
How do some of you experts think something like this compares to a Ready Welder? I had decided that was the route I was going to go for a portable.

-Bart
I have used both. The ready welder will burn hotter (24v) and is much smaller and lighter to carry around. (I carry one) But it costs $200.00 more! The Ready Welder is also more of a PITA to set up. The nice part about the Century is you just pull it out and start welding. I don't remember if the Century can run gas sheilding like the ready welder can, but have always just carried flux core on the trail anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I've had one for about 2 years now(maybe 3, I forget). I think I paid $250 for it then

It is a mixed bag.

The quality on it sucks big time. I had problems with the MIG wire sleeve popping off and going up the trigger bunch. It has happened soooo much, I've pretty much left the entire case unbolted so I can fix it:p

The battery life for me was VERY short... 15" on 3/16" tubing was VERY lucky... then it was charge it for 6-8 hours.

The other issue is has only one power setting: WFO. You can only control the speed of the wire. This made handing thin gauge stuff almost impossible. The only way I got to do any thing thin guage(14 guage metal) was to wait for the battery charge to be VERY low, then it would do fine.

The good news is it is portable. Fairly light. And I got it to do 3/16" tubing with no prep and 1/4" angle with light beveling.

Granted, when I was using it, it was my full time welder so it got some EXTREME duty out of it... I did a full flat bed on my Tacoma but it took me a week because of the constant stopping/charging issue.

As a trail tool, it'll work fine for a VERY short while. You might get one to two repairs out of it before it is useless. I'd rather have an onboard welder though... in fact, I've got the Ford alt waiting to go.:p I might take the time and try to convert my old Century welder to work with the alternator instead:D

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have checked out all of the other ones and though they all work good, I chose this one because it's soo portible. I can use it when i'm rock crawling and I can also use it for the off road race team that I am on.
I was talking to Dave Ashley and Dan Smith (Duralast sponsered Trophy Truck) and they got rid of all of their Premier Power welders on their chase trucks and went to the century unit because it is so handy. The key word is "trail fix" I wouldn't use it for anything else. This model is supposed to hold a charge alittle longer than the previous ones also:D.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
ZUK has been using the 131 for a few years now and likes it a lot... The machine says something to the effect that it's only set up to run .030 wire. He experimented with .035 a month or so ago and says he wished he'd tried it right after he bought it. He stated the wire feed is much smoother with less wire misfeeds in tight situations (feed cable is REALLY FLEXY on those machines) and it runs a smoother bead with better penetration for that power level. Just some things for you to goof with if you get bored. :D

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crashinaz said:
ZUK has been using the 131 for a few years now and likes it a lot... The machine says something to the effect that it's only set up to run .030 wire. He experimented with .035 a month or so ago and says he wished he'd tried it right after he bought it. He stated the wire feed is much smoother with less wire misfeeds in tight situations (feed cable is REALLY FLEXY on those machines) and it runs a smoother bead with better penetration for that power level. Just some things for you to goof with if you get bored. :D
Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I have one as well and while I'm not much of a welder, I have had several others use it and every one of em was impressed with how good it worked... :D

On another note, in transport I somehow broke (lost) the trigger for the gun. Can't find it anywhere so now the freakin thing won't work at all... :mad: Anybody know where I can get a new trigger for it?? Or a new gun even?? :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts