Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm stupid tired and got to thinkin'...

Most people are interested in having the strongest or the coolest but I want to know who makes and sells the cheapest beadlock wheel out there (no $hit)...

1. Must be complete and ready to go (no DIY kits and such) made by a company that's trying to sell a serious product (not your next door neighbor who had an extra roll of aluminum foil and an old set of stock Yota wheels).

2. Can be bare (no paint 'er powdercoat)

3. Must be new...used hummer wheels and ones found down at the dock inside an abandoned boat don't count.

4. Must be for a 15, 16, 16.5, ++ size wheel (trying to exclude all you who will post something about a midget roundy-round type beadlock that only had 4 bolts) :flipoff2:

I've seen Eatons for like $120...

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Eaton beadlocks are more for dirt track racing, kinda like the Bart ones. They don't have as many bolts and have a thin ring.

I'm going to be buying some beadlocks here shortly, right now I'm looking at the Blue Torch wheels. They're custom made any backspacing, 32 bolt ring, etc.

They don't have them on their page anymore, but they were around or slightly under $150, I can't remember.

However, if anyone else has found another good candidate chime in.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
cheap or inexspensive sp? ;)

i have frankies beadlocks.....around the same $$

Attachments

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
BJ On Roids said:
try the vendor section, I know longfield and rockstomper both sell weld in kits, at competitive prices.
re-reading rule 1
lilscorpion said:

1. Must be complete and ready to go (no DIY kits and such)...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Whos got it?

I've got the cheapest beadlocks:p

hmm... and I got just what you need. 15x8 / 8 lug / 3.5 backspacing $135 each wheel, got a set of 5 of them...

[EDIT]

OH YA, There all shiny and stuff, which means there brand spankin NEW!:flipoff2:

how you like them apples?:D

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Another low dollar option.

Cheap used Bart 16 bolt beadlocks, redrilled for 32 bolts and upgraded to 3/8" hardware. Stoppes the two common complaints about these wheels, rings flexing between bolts and popping bolts.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Rolled edge and a lil bit thicker than that. Ya get what ya pay for, I know they aint walkers bling bling locks, but for about $80-$85 a wheel for 2" backspaced 15x10 beadlocks I'll see how they hold up. Lots of people run em because of price, havnt seen anyone else try to make em hold up better tho. Easy project with hand tools to modify them.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
those bart type locks suck. i have seen several of them fail. the rings are just too thin and they will not take much abuse.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If youve already got steel wheels, you could also get a DIY kit. Bobby Long sells one as well as RBS and some others. mine were 75 / wheel, shipped to the door.

Here is one of my AR767's with the bobby long beadlock kit.

Heres my cheezy writeup:

Bobby Long Beadlocks

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can't weld, anybody know how much a competent shop should charge to weld on a set of DIY beadlock rings?

KarmirXJ, are those ones you sell, or a set that you have that you are trying to get rid of?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
High5 said:
those bart type locks suck. i have seen several of them fail. the rings are just too thin and they will not take much abuse.
On the ones you've seen fail, how did they fail? Just wondering what I have to look forward to. Rings just bend too much to hold air? Break bolts? Wheel fall apart? Dont care much about bent rings as long as they hold together til the end of the day.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Must have not been clear enough...

I'm not looking to buy, I'm looking for information.

As per #3 in my original post: I don't care about used (which means that if you have a set, you're price doesn't count UNLESS what you paid for them new was what you're posting about).

As per #1 in my original post: the DIY kits are cool but not what I'm after. I'm looking for information about the cheapest, completed and ready to go, bolt-on beadlocks out there.

This is like a poor boys market survey that will be used for absolutely nothing as soon as the results are in.

Quality is important in almost all cases...I don't care about quality because I don't intend on buying...I just wanna know which are the least expensive out there.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
Godzilla said:
If youve already got steel wheels, you could also get a DIY kit. Bobby Long sells one as well as RBS and some others. mine were 75 / wheel, shipped to the door.

Here is one of my AR767's with the bobby long beadlock kit.

Heres my cheezy writeup:

Bobby Long Beadlocks
Ok, lets try this again.. Can you not read either?????

Rule #1. 1. Must be complete and ready to go (no DIY kits and such)

And for those of you with really THICK skulls... DIY stands for DO IT YOURSELF. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh.. as far as complete beadlocks, I know that Scott at rockstomper sells complete beadlocked wheels, unpainted.. at least from what I could gather from his website.. I think they run about $150 each complete.
Scott
Scott

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
unixkid said:
Hmmm - sounds like we have another happy go lucky fabber with sweet tools (CNC perhaps) that might start building his own cool ready to go beadlocks.

Am I correct there sparky?

:flipoff2:
Here's the scoop for you forever skeptic types -

John @ Staz Works is selling beadlocks right? We'll he's turnin' out very nice. Now for what he's charging for a set of custom (you get to pick the darn design of the centers - who else does that?) wheels it got me to thinking that the cheap ones aren't exactly that much cheaper than the good ones. Sure there's an upper end and that tends to be way upper end. But the Average beadlock wheel cost is only about $75 more per wheel than the cheapest out there.

This got me to thinking that maybe there are cheaper out there so I wanted to find out if there were...

This kind of thinking comes around when you're sitting around drinking beers and you find yourself in a group argument about which locked-wheel gives the best bang for the buck.

And since the Rags won't tell us if theres a great beadlock out there available for $50, this would be the only way to find out...

For the arguments sake, I asked.

Doubt if I could be considered happy-go-lucky...based on your geographic location I'd guess you might be someone I know passin' gas.
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
kwrangln said:

On the ones you've seen fail, how did they fail? Just wondering what I have to look forward to. Rings just bend too much to hold air? Break bolts? Wheel fall apart? Dont care much about bent rings as long as they hold together til the end of the day.
i have seen one that the outer ring folded back and it would no longer hold air. i saw another that got dinged in the bolt flange area and it would not hold air. i have seen two others that lost the bead even though they are bead locks. i think these style locks my work great drag cars or whatever they were origionally designed for but they can not take hard cantact with rocks. i'm not an expert but i am just telling you what i have seen on the trail.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
lilscorpion said:

John @ Staz Works is selling beadlocks right? We'll he's turnin' out very nice. Now for what he's charging for a set of custom (you get to pick the darn design of the centers - who else does that?) wheels it got me to thinking that the cheap ones aren't exactly that much cheaper than the good ones.
You have to remember that johns wheels are a DOUBLE beadlock, Thats inner AND outter beads. INCLUDING the locking insert, any backspacing, any bolt pattenr, and design. DUAL 1/4" plate centers.

His rims are very well priced IMHO.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i payed ~130 for 15x10 eatons from national tire. only ran them for a few months and 2 wheelin trips though. no complaints, they did well in their limited use.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts