Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 kingpin Ford 60 I want to run in my TJ. I want to leave it fullwidth. The problem is the pumpkin (driver's) side upper coil bucket and lower control arm bracket will have to be placed on the cast housing due to the very short side axle tube on this year model. The upper coil bucket isn't really a big deal. I have a good idea how to do this with a combination of welding to the cast and tapping the cast for bolts to hold the coil bucket in place. However, the lower arm has me perplexed?:confused:

I am looking for ideas of how you guys are getting around this problem. Is welding to the cast the only solution? I am aware there is a process required to weld mild steal to cast(control cooling, nickel rods, etc.) but even if done correctly I have heard some say it is still not real strong. Anyone doing anything besides this, or am I the only one trying to run this year model axle fullwidth in a TJ? :flipoff2:

I am thinking maybe some combination of widening the bracket so part of it is on the axle tube and then using a leaf spring u-bolt around the part on the cast. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I just went to air shocks on mine... Fixed all that mumbo jumbo coil bucket stuff....

How about coilovers?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went to air shocks on mine... Fixed all that mumbo jumbo coil bucket stuff....

How about coilovers?
I WISH! That is just not feasible right know. It is a cash flow problem. Really the coil bucket mount does not worry me. the lower control arm mount does!

How did you mount your control arms? PICS?

·
Registered
35 Posts
UCTJ, it looks like maybe he shortened the long side? Do you know? Cisco, I'm about to start the same project, what are you doing about the pinion offset or are ya just gonna leave it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
UCTJ, it looks like maybe he shortened the long side? Do you know? Cisco, I'm about to start the same project, what are you doing about the pinion offset or are ya just gonna leave it?
I have the 86 HP60 in my TJ. It's a tight fit, but I am happy with the outcome....

It is still full width....pulled it out of the junk yard, slapped some brackets on it and I have been happy ever since.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am leaving it. I think everything will clear.

The best solution I have found to the bracket on cast is in P&T's jeep build thread in the hardcore FAQ'S. He incorporated the coil bucket bracket and lower arm bracket into one. I am going to do it this way. He still welded to the cast and it eventually cracked on him. I think I am going to weld to the mild steel tube, weld to the cast, and even drill and tap the cast and bolt the bracket to it. seems to be a good solution

1 - 7 of 7 Posts