Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like to know who is running home brew steering arms, who is running aftermarket (abs knuckle) arms, who has broke what, etc. i'm sure a lot of people here would run this axle if it weren't for the steering arm issue.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Id be in for some. Slee's are expensive but i would of still bought them but mine is the non ABS. My axle has just been sitting on jackstands waiting for me to put something together

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'm in the process of building one. I'm planning on some homebrew Slee knockoff unless someone comes out with something first. I pumped about putting it under my rig.

I know the guys at Slee and know they don't make much money on them, but I'm still a cheapass mini- truck guy at heart, not a big-baller fj80 guy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a set of fj80 elockers sitting in the shop waiting to be beat on, just have to decide on what setup I want (leafs vs coils).
Would be interested in a hi steer setup also...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Forget the steering arms.... I want knuckles with hi-steer figured into their design. And THEN some steering arms.
Something at least 4 studs on top, 5 or 6 even better.
Hell, even a keyway figured into the design. for the hydro guys.

I have an fzj80 front axle (with elocker) and It's just sitting stricktly because of the steering issue.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I would rather see knuckles setup for regular mini high steer too. There was talk around about someone making them but I havent heard anything definite yet.

They already have the castings and testing into the 6 shooters, they just need to make them alittle larger for the 80.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, I kinda want to run an 80 front.

It looks like the pluses are bigger knuckles and birfs, with the drawbacks being trunions don't break that much and minitruck Longs are stronger than stock 80 birfs anyhow. The next weak point is probably the ring and pinion, which you can stick in a minitruck housing anyhow, yet you gain lumpy high steer solutions.

What breaks in minitruck axles?

Birfs - Longs (and hub gears)
8"r&p - same

If you go to a 9.5" center, what's next after the r&p? I'm not guessing trunions, not that you can't break them if you try.

I hope this isn't a hijack, this thread got me to ask the 8"HP breaking thread. I'm thinking about flipping 80 knuckles left and right, and upside down. You get the stock steering arm mount on the top while retaining kingpin angle. Now mill a pair of steering arms and we might just be back to breaking 8"HP gears.

I don't really know if the above regarding knuckles is true, I don't have an 80 front to go muck with. Besides, while it may be Miller time in CA, it's been way past that for a while on the right coast, and I am sufficiently "into my cups".

Cheers

·
Registered
34,219 Posts
Forget the steering arms.... I want knuckles with hi-steer figured into their design. And THEN some steering arms.
This.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well, I kinda want to run an 80 front.

It looks like the pluses are bigger knuckles and birfs, with the drawbacks being trunions don't break that much and minitruck Longs are stronger than stock 80 birfs anyhow. The next weak point is probably the ring and pinion, which you can stick in a minitruck housing anyhow, yet you gain lumpy high steer solutions.

What breaks in minitruck axles?

Birfs - Longs (and hub gears)
8"r&p - same

If you go to a 9.5" center, what's next after the r&p? I'm not guessing trunions, not that you can't break them if you try.

I hope this isn't a hijack, this thread got me to ask the 8"HP breaking thread. I'm thinking about flipping 80 knuckles left and right, and upside down. You get the stock steering arm mount on the top while retaining kingpin angle. Now mill a pair of steering arms and we might just be back to breaking 8"HP gears.

I don't really know if the above regarding knuckles is true, I don't have an 80 front to go muck with. Besides, while it may be Miller time in CA, it's been way past that for a while on the right coast, and I am sufficiently "into my cups".

Cheers
-The birfs are a lot bigger and Longfield makes chromo 80 axles
-There are a good width 63"ish and let you run big tires on your Toyota axles without running stupid backspaced wheels and STILL getting into your leafsprings :homer:
-If I was going diamond front, Id run a 9.5" there, but stock HP is cool too

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

I have an fzj80 front axle (with elocker) and It's just sitting stricktly because of the steering issue.
funny you mention this. i thought about this today while picturing the top of a 80 knuckle. a new knuckle with a large area flat top would be ideal. and no need for 6 studs. 4 studs would be plenty if they are spaced 2" away from the kingpin. mini knuckle studs are only 1-1/4" away, putting a shit ton of leverage on them, even with a 35" tire.
the only drawback to casting new knuckles is the cost. i couldn't pull that off these days. if a company with sufficient funds put this kind of set-up on the market, it would most likely cost enough to put you into a built 60 market. that is of course after you factor in every part for a nicely built 80 (which still has the 8" r&p). food for thought.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Id be in for some. Slee's are expensive but i would of still bought them but mine is the non ABS. My axle has just been sitting on jackstands waiting for me to put something together
Same here. Pile o parts, no steering solution.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Amen. I've always thought if TG can make a six stud mini-knuckle, why can't someone make a four or six stud FZJ knuckle?

45612‑60070

·
Registered
346 Posts
Amen. I've always thought if TG can make a six stud mini-knuckle, why can't someone make a four or six stud FZJ knuckle?
Yup.
I'd buy them.
Not for a grand, but for a reasonable price, absolutely.
An fzj80 e-locker front with longs and leafs is what I want.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have my 80s sittin on the shop floor also. Its complet bs that you can get 60 arms for what u can and can''t get anyone to make an 80 arm. I bought ABS axles and gonna machine some arms and try to incorparate the grease fill plug into it for more support.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The guy at ruff stuff has already done alot of the leg work on making new knuckles. If a bunch of people were really serious and were willing to put up money he might be in more of a hurry to get something produced. I think it is kind of a back burner project for him as he is very busy running a buisness. He is a great guy do deal with and is very helpful over the phone.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i talked to dan about this today, he said the guy who was to do the casting is out of business. the casting and machine work is very difficult and therefore expensive. if anyone can pull off this knuckle and arm kit for a reasonable price, dan is the man, but it will still cost more than any 6 shooter kit. in the mean time, i think arms that grab the abs hole along with the 2 studs (which will need to be arp's) will be good. i'll bet there's more people out there than anyone thinks who are standing by waiting for fj80 steering.

1 - 20 of 1193 Posts