Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I went from a pusher and a puller flexalite and ran hot to a single spal with a shroud and have not had a problem since. As said, go to a good fan ie; not from vatozone and a shroud.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
there are 80 relays out there for 10 bucks or less... i don't have a link handy... but i have been running them for years in my setup...

dump that flex a crap fan.. either get a taurus or a good mechanical.. you need air flow... make sure you have a fan shroud that covers the entire radiator..

i would still move the tranny cooler and set it up with it's own small fan..

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
One more with a tbi 350 with a taurus fan and no problems overheating. It runs on the low speed and cools just fine even in 100* texas heat.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Its a Ford and the car is a Taurus. I think the years are 87 or 88-95. Its the fan that came in the cars with the 3.8L V6.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my lt1 and have gone threw everything

Only thing I can think of from what I have read is that my 16" flexalite fan sucks ass not air and I need a better fan

I am on my way to the junk yard now, How to you wire the 3 wires on the taurus fan so its on high, i was going to run 8GA wire and just put it on a switch rather than deal with the relay. I do have a cooling fan relay in my LT1 harness with 8GA wire, i could use that, can anyone tell me how to wire up the 3 wires on this fan.

Is one a ground and the other 2 are high and low speeds?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
there are 80 relays out there for 10 bucks or less... i don't have a link handy... but i have been running them for years in my setup...

dump that flex a crap fan.. either get a taurus or a good mechanical.. you need air flow... make sure you have a fan shroud that covers the entire radiator..

i would still move the tranny cooler and set it up with it's own small fan..
Ok. The Flexalite fan will be scraped. I am hitting up the junkyards tomorrow. I will keep the relays from the Flexalite and make them work. The tranny cooler already has a fan setup on a switch.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Here's how I wired mine. 40A and 80A relays. Found it in another thread on Taurus fans on pirate.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Spal makes a great fan. i think they are about $160 though. Ran mine with a 185 stat ans a griffin aluminum radiator. also check your timing too much advance can cause extra heat. BTW pullers flow more air than pushers.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think the general range for the fan is the 91-95 Taurus with the 3.8 V6. However you find many people that have gotten then outside of that year range. I know that the one that cools the 3.0 is NOT the one you want. Stay with the 3.8.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Can Someone tell me what the three wires on the fan do

So I can wire this thing up today. I am guessing from what i have read that these are a 2 speed fan.

There are 3 wires, Black, black/w red stripe and black/w Yello stripe.

I am assuming black is ground and the other 2 are high and low speed? Any thoughts on this

I just want to wire the High speed. also why do you have to run a relay? why cant i put it on a switch in the cab, with an inline fuse and control it myself

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
ok.. here is the relay i have been running for the high side... it's an 80amp relay for under 10 bucks....

http://www.newark.com/durakool/dg85c-8021-76-1012/automotive-relay/dp/30M9206

3 years on the same one with no issues..

i also run fan relay kit with a 185 degree on and 175 degree off which controls the low speed.. it's around 50 bucks for this kit from autozone..

both of these with a 3 position switch gives me the control I want.. so the low comes on automatically... i can turn it off.. or to high if it starts to warm up..

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well i got the taurus fan at the junkyard for 22 bucks, and wired it on high setting today and holy shit that thing moves some air!

I did not get a chance to test drive it yet but i let my rig Idle at 2k for about 20 minutes and it never got above 195. Now i need to figure out why my rig is idleing so dam high

and i will road test it tommorow

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
I just want to wire the High speed. also why do you have to run a relay? why cant i put it on a switch in the cab, with an inline fuse and control it myself

You don't want to run that high of a current through an in cab switch...

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Well i got the taurus fan at the junkyard for 22 bucks, and wired it on high setting today and holy shit that thing moves some air!

I did not get a chance to test drive it yet but i let my rig Idle at 2k for about 20 minutes and it never got above 195. Now i need to figure out why my rig is idleing so dam high

and i will road test it tommorow
The problem you are having sounds kinda odd to me. If you can wheel for an hour or so with no issue, then it starts to overheat kinda throws me. If your engine is at a high idle, it possibly has a bad temp sensor telling the computer its still cold. I have always felt that removing the stat completely is a bad idea due to not having the temp in the range the engine was designed to run in, also if the water has no restriction, it could possibly flow too fast through the radiator giving you no cooling transfer. Causing a slow rise of temp that will cause an overheat the cooling system cannot recover from. I kinda am leaning toward reinstalling the stat that your engine computer calls for and your original problem was just the fan setup.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts