Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been covered, looked and didn't find anything. If this isn't supposed to be here, then move it. Seems cage design and theory should not be in the softcore area.

But the question is this....

I see a bunch of cages built with the upper bar over the front windshield that are bend down in the middle. I also see about an equal number, or more that are not bent there. Is there a reason some bend theirs down?

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
The only reason it is done is for looks. The people who do it think it makes their cage look angry, like the "No Fear" eyes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would this not create a weak point?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Would this not create a weak point?
yes, it is not as strong as a straight bar. mine has the down turned bar with two support "A" bars to the lower dash spreader. i like the look so i made it that way and realize that strength was sacrificed however i tilted it forward so it would at least not come down into the driver compartment.. mines the one on the right, the other is a friends cj5 that wanted the same look to his cage.

little different angle.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I personally don't like the looks or the strength. Amazing how these buggies are popping up all over the country with all this fancy tube work. I know everyone wants to be different, but whatever makes you sleep at night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Downturned with the "A" I can understand from a looks point of view but I know I'd much prefer a hoop front tied down and into the chassis with a single driangulation to the dash bar with a boxed x config over me back to the "B pillar" hoopbehind me with stays tieing into the rear of the tub (in a 2 seat config)

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Forgive me if this has been covered, looked and didn't find anything. If this isn't supposed to be here, then move it. Seems cage design and theory should not be in the softcore area.

But the question is this....

I see a bunch of cages built with the upper bar over the front windshield that are bend down in the middle. I also see about an equal number, or more that are not bent there. Is there a reason some bend theirs down?
fad

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Skinning the roof becomes more difficult if you have that bend in the top windshield bar. You could do it out of two pieces I suppose.

I also don't like the look, but I'm sure a ton of people don't like my cage either. Build it the way you like it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
An eyebrow windshield bar with a properly constructed roof panel produced exactly .0000000001% increase in downforce when put into Nasa's wind tunel. I wasn't there, but it came from a good source. This is a very important issue as every rig built today is going to race in KOH. We must take advantage of everything we can in order to be competitive. Sorry, that's it, my creativeness just ran out! Get on with the build and show us some pictures!

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
^^I think the term you were looking for is "ANGRY" :flipoff2:
Travis..

·
Registered
564 Posts
It is defintely a cool look. I would just caution everyone, do not put a bend there unless you can run a vertical bar from there to your dash bar. By putting a bend in that tube you are sacraficing quite a bit of strength!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts