Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering why you chose the axles you guys did. I'am not trying to turn into a dana vs toy. Thanks Eric

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I couldn"t have said it better Fatkid.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i got dana but it will cost you. if you wanna wheel and have fun get some toy axels and bolt them in and go play. you go from 3.73 to 4.10 and you get bigger axels. if you go with dana you would have to get gears maybe shorten it or make a costom chev housing my 2

:massey:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Toys 4.10 with 6.1 in t-case with 35's gets it in my '94 EFI 1.3 on the road as daily driver 70-75 mph and even better at 90 to1 on the trails.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i see you fawkers. Post up :flipoff2: but you guys with toys is it b/c of parts are easy to get ? Only reason i go with danas like fatboy said is width. But turns me away from danas is getting spares and that ctms ($150)and warn shafts(around 800).

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
if you wanna run dana do it. i have stock shafts and they have been good so far and i have rodded the holly sh!t out of them. under a zuk they would be fine hell the toys would be fine to it just what you want and what you can get ahold of in your area i know where i can get the waggy stuff for $300.00 and the toy for $400

:massey:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
fatkid said:
Better yet, who running one of the new Hybrids? Kick 3rd with the 44 outers... Is that whats out on the market right now?
Yep I went the custom route, yea i know kinda expensive...wanted to be different Toy axles are readily avaiable here on Guam and wouldve been alot cheaper for me to build. plus i know how much everyone loves there toy axles on this board:rolleyes: I read all the posts about the Sidewinders/Big Suz Ana's on how you dont like how the axles taper down to the side gears and there only 26 spline but i do got the newer cro- moly shafts that they just started offering plus im only running 35's so i think they will hold up fine... anyways Birfields suck:D i think the bottom line is Build what you like....and like what you build:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Islandzuki said:

plus i know how much everyone loves there toy axles on this board:rolleyes: I read all the posts about the Sidewinders/Big Suz Ana's on how you dont like how the axles taper down to the side gears and there only 26 spline but i do got the newer cro- moly shafts that they just started offering plus im only running 35's so i think they will hold up fine... anyways Birfields suck:D i think the bottom line is Build what you like....and like what you build:D
:rolleyes: Or bust the bank and BUY somthign bling bling....... I'm sure you have advantages with your set up like clearance and weight (maybe) but when you roll and shave a diff its not too shabby....

I just cant see how a stock toy axle with 31 splines is any worse than a chromo 26 spline?

Having had a TJ in the past I think a d30 throw away would be super under a zuke. Set up for coils, good gear selection, 297 joint etc... Cant see a need to run ctms with any thing under 37s on a zuke ? ? dono...

Then their is the DS mating task... flange vs yoke....

-yag

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I went Toy...

Becouse I compaired strength, weight, cost and repairability of all the axles.

the Toy axle is light, strong, and easy to repair on the trail (just try and change out a R/P on your Dana on the trail).

I can shave the housing, it has a great choice of gears, and I can get almost any part easily (except here in the Detroit area....go figure).

the downside is the Birfields on the front...I am investigating running Dana 44 outers Like scwafish has (old AllPro axle), but Longfields are priced cheeper than the conversion, and on 2500#ish zuki, I'll keep the Birfs till I decide I dont like them anylonger.

That about sums it up for me. :D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
currently i'm running D44's they were the width wanted, lug patern i wanted (6lug) and i despise birfield's with a passion!

however in the next 2 months i will be going up to D60's! (scored a complete front for $75)

i want axles that i can hold the rig on the rev limiter in 3rd gear bouncing it off the ground and just alugh about it :D

and no... i don't have a zuk case :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
i chose land cruiser axle because the pumkins were already off set .i could put the spiring pads where i wanted them with out cutting factory pads off the top of the axles. the land crusiers are some HEAVY ass axles that are great for a low center of gravity .

land crusier axle are offten compared to dana 60's in strength. factory 4.10 gears + 6 to 1 gear set should comp for my 36's very well. 3rd member are removeable, and i just plain dig jap scrap.

oh and they were 200 bucks aswell.

zukikid .;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts