Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before you all start flaming me, i'm not bashing the winch just tryin to get info so i can decide what i wanna buy. From what i've read everyone seems to think the 8274 is the end all be all of electric winches, fast, strong, reliable, etc. I'm just wondering what makes this winch so kick ass. And why is it so much better than say a M8000 or XD9000 (the others i'm lookin at). From what i've read its only rated for 8000lbs which seems kinda small for some of you guys that are runnin fullsizes, yet everyone still swears by em. Is it just because their fast and hold 125' of line? also what makes it more reliable than the others? I dont know a lot about winches, and i'm trying to educate myself before emptying the bank. Any other features the 8274 has that make it the :nuke:? Thanks.

Dallas

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Simple.. the popular people talk the winch up. So in order to feel in people just follow along like sheeple and get the 8274. people on this board INCLUDED!

Biggest advantages of the 8274 over the low profile winches on warns product line are:

Larger drum (can load up cable on one side more)
Different brake design (or so I heard, haven't confirmed)
Can hold 150+ feet of cable
Yeah.. its fast, but a 9500i is right in the ballpark with it.

drawback
Its $$$ compared to the others of higher capacity
blocks a lot of radiator area if you mount it on the frame of a vehicle. (vs. mounting it between the frame rails)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
They are a good winch, but far too heavy and block too much of the radiator IMHO.

Get any of the curent Warn 8k or 9k winches with the faster motor and you will be just as happy.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Re: Re: Why does everyone love the 8274?

twaldher said:

Biggest advantages of the 8274 over the low profile winches on warns product line are:

Larger drum (can load up cable on one side more)
Different brake design (or so I heard, haven't confirmed)
Can hold 150+ feet of cable
Yeah.. its fast, but a 9500i is right in the ballpark with it.
And it flat out pulls, period end of discussion. When I bought my winch I went with an 8000 Warn, low profile, simple because I did not have another $500 to buy the 8274.

My long ago heep had an older 8274 that would out pull my new 8k winch 2:1.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Why does everyone love the 8274?

jdjanda said:

And it flat out pulls, period end of discussion. When I bought my winch I went with an 8000 Warn, low profile, simple because I did not have another $500 to buy the 8274.

My long ago heep had an older 8274 that would out pull my new 8k winch 2:1.
They are tough as shit too. A couple guys in my club have really old ones they got for like $200 or $300 and they still pull like new.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
DRM said:
They are a good winch, but far too heavy and block too much of the radiator IMHO.

Get any of the curent Warn 8k or 9k winches with the faster motor and you will be just as happy.
Gotta call a little BS here David. According to Warn, the 8274 is 110 pounds and it holds 150 feet of wire rope. and the HS9500i is 86 lbs with 125 feet of wire rope. The m8000 is 74 lbs and holds only 80 feet of wire rope. So the weight dif is only 36 lbs and there is 70 foot difference in the wire rope. Now it definitely covers the radiator...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
They are a proven design and they last forever. I bought mine used for $250, I cleaned it up and it pulls like new. No problems, no worries, these thing just dont let you down

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres my issues, I have always had a thing about electric winches being unreliable in my head ever since my first trail run when we burned up 2. I know most winches will run hard for a long time, but i still have it in my head that they are unreliable. I cant afford a brand new winch unless its an M8000 and I'm wondering if i buy an old 8274 off ebay for $300 thats been around for a while and rebuild it will i still be happy with its performance? I've heard about people buyin 20 year old winches cleanin em up and havin em run like mad, but is this more a rarity than the norm? I'm also leanin towards an old 8274 because i like to take things apart and learn how they work. Are parts for these things real expensive or could i get one and replace most of the little shit pretty cheap?

Dallas

·
Registered
941 Posts
If I had to choose a new one now...I'd go with the HS9500i instead of an 8274. Don't get me wrong...I like my 8274 but I want a lower profile winch that doesn't quite weigh as much.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I've run a 1974 Warn Belleview on my Cruiser since I purchased the truck in 1991. Dealer installed winch, cable operated. DAMN nice unit, still works awesome to this day....and 100% original, sans a motor clean and cable replacement. Just installed a new 8274-50 in June, paid $906 to my door brand new in the box - new ones have a power out feature, which mine did not.

- Oil Bath - long life
- EXTERNAL brake - others use internal brake and rely on cable to help dissapate heat, using it as a heat sink. BAD for poly cable. (potential melt)
- 150' easily on there
- Mounts behind the bumper - only slightly more height than a integrated solenoid winch, and the pull is THRU the frame rails rather than sitting on top of them
- Their 8k rating is VERY conservative...I once pulled free a 34k# truck/trailer combo loaded with starter cores. Bent my frame on the cruiser, but the winch didn't stop. (guy paid me $50 and I made him weight it afterwards)

IMO, all the Warn's are nice...but for serious duty, the 8274 is hands-down the one I chose. I've got friends with 9000i, 9500i, m8000, and others....they have not had problems either with theirs, but they also admit they don't get into the sillyness I do and only need their winch a few times a year. It's a rare ride I don't use it a lot because of the place I like to wheel.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
StinkBug said:
Heres my issues, I have always had a thing about electric winches being unreliable in my head ever since my first trail run when we burned up 2. I know most winches will run hard for a long time, but i still have it in my head that they are unreliable. I cant afford a brand new winch unless its an M8000 and I'm wondering if i buy an old 8274 off ebay for $300 thats been around for a while and rebuild it will i still be happy with its performance? I've heard about people buyin 20 year old winches cleanin em up and havin em run like mad, but is this more a rarity than the norm? I'm also leanin towards an old 8274 because i like to take things apart and learn how they work. Are parts for these things real expensive or could i get one and replace most of the little shit pretty cheap?

Dallas
I think chances are that it would probably work great with just a little tlc. Mine was pretty old when I got it and I have talked to many other people that have had the same expierencs as I have.
Just my .02

·
Registered
19,421 Posts
Tankota said:
If I had to choose a new one now...I'd go with the HS9500i instead of an 8274.
Those fawkers are fast :eek:

Stink, if you're looking at the M8000, also check out the X8000i. Not much more $$ and you get 100 ft of cable.

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
StinkBug said:

Dallas
It is relatively cheap. Check out http://www.dsiwarn.com You can download exploded diagrams and parts lists for Warn winches. Then type the part # of the part in on the search on http://www.carparts.com and you can get an idea of how much you will spend on some of the parts. Most likely if you buy a used one all you will need to replace are cable, a couple solenoids, and possibly some brake parts.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh one more question, i've seen a bunch of references to 8274 and 8274-50, is there a difference or are they the same winch and people are just abbreviating the #?

Dallas

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think the -50 is faster

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The -50 is their current new model. It changed when they updated to the higher-power/speed motors (ie: HS9500i and all those)

If you are searching used, don't worry about it. My ancient Belleview was impressively fast with it's 25 year old motor on it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
StinkBug said:

Dallas
I bought mine for $300, Changed the oil and bolted it on. Mine was made in 1976 and works perfectly...

1 - 20 of 112 Posts