Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background: Last trailer I towed was a tilt bed trailer with a YJ on it with no brakes. My guess is that it was in the 6k lbs range. The truck was slow as all heck, and the brakes wernt the best, but it worked OK at best. Other than that, the truck towed great. I just finished getting my tow bar on my 4runner, and I can barely tell its back there. Brakes work great, still have plenty of power. Only probelm is when I come to a stop and the 4runner isnt directly behind me, it pushes the truck around sideways as the rear brakes lock up. Is there a reason why I have this problem with a 4k 4runner, and not a 6+k trailer with no brakes?

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
axle spacing and tounge weight.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,194 Posts
Axle spacing makes a huge difference. I flat towed a cj5 with a Dakota and towed a TJ on a dual axle trailer with the same truck. The TJ and trailer were much heavier, but towed much nicer. I jacknifed the pos on making a right hand turn towing the CJ a few times.

Flat towing blows. :barf:

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
No tounge weight - less wieght on the rear axle - easier to push. Also, flat towing you have another piviot point, so it's easier to bend.

Imagine it this way - Take a stick and push it against something that doesn't move. It doesn't tend to move sideways much, does it? (assuming you push striaght) Now, put a hinge in about 1/4 of the way back from the wall. Now push on it. It'll tend to bend there, and the hinge will want to move sideways, da? Well, same affect flat towing, exept that the area of the hinge (front axle on the towed rig) can't go dieways easily, so it trys to push the back of the tow rig around. And in most cases, you have no trailer brakes, so the towed rig is pushing alot harderon the truck.With a trailer, most the force required to stop the trailer should come from the trailer brakes, so there's not alot of force on the truck. Flat towing, the towrighasto provided that force, which translates as the towed rig pushing forward on the tow rig.
-John

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I also think that the fact that the tow rig has a 117" WB, and the towee has a 105" WB has something to do with it.

And dont be dissin the half ton. It'll still out tow a few trucks I have towed with, including that POS 3/4 ton GMC I towed with a month or 2 ago.

And I dont think its gonna change either... when I sell this one, I think I am heading over and getting a tundra :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
is the tow bar uphill or downhill? just like the big trucks that haul gravel uphill will offer the best control and prevent your problems...people have towed fj40's with a toyota without problems....granted 5th gear is usless but still....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts