Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
One of my clients recently pulled an office space. Went through and let go of a bunch of top level/pay people. Most were there for 10 years or better. Hired new folk or shuffled within for less pay.

I see two options for careers:

Government or self employed. The private sector is fucked.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The devil you know may be better than the devil you don’t. Why would your company want to match a new offer given you seem to like working there, comfortable, trusted—when they know you will have to re-prove yourself and work harder at the new place, and it might suck?

Maybe you’re not all that—above average, but not great—and they don’t want to rock the boat. They pay you more and promote you and your peers think, why not me—I’m better than him? And, they all want raises and promotions because they know what you suck at. This happens all the time in my business. Kids get the grad degree and want a premium and we see, he’s good but not great, not the guy I would pick first for promotion and his peers know it. Sorry, not worth the drama.

There’s nothing wrong with either of these points. You want the promotion and raise and willing to bust your ass to deliver, take a new job. Your current company not willing to match means they don’t think you are all that and they know you.

I match offers and even go above, but only for the very best. Otherwise, it leads to a Lake Wobegone business culture.
All good points. I promise you I am the very best of the best but I understand your scepticism. You don't know me. Also, to be absolutely fair to my company, they probably will give me the job and title I want because I am the best. The problem is they should be moving fast to lock me in and they just aren't. By the time they get off their butt, I will likely have had to accept an offer from another company and they will have lost me. I would need something in writing to be able to turn down an offer that will be in writing.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
One of my clients recently pulled an office space. Went through and let go of a bunch of top level/pay people. Most were there for 10 years or better. Hired new folk or shuffled within for less pay.

Publicly traded private sector, I 100% agree. If I can help it, I'll never hear the words "shareholder value" in the workplace ever again.

Currently working my ass off trying to get my own business up and running. Just landed distribution for all of Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona so fingers crossed I can get this thing going strong enough soon to step away from the day job and make my dream side project the full time bread winner.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Take what you got or go for more. It's not your current employer's problem to try and keep you from leaving. Sounds like it won't matter to them either way soif you feel you deserve better take the risk and go for it instead of wanting your current employer to cough up.
I have no problem leaving. If I get the offer I feel like I will get, leaving is probably the right call. My rant is mainly on why companies would want jumping ship to be the norm? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I have a side hustle. It doesn't make all that much money but the IRS taxed me for 47k of income off it last year. If things go South with my current day job (say they found out I have already accepted another job in November that starts in the summer but am biding my time until May to actually quit) it might become my main source of income for a few months. :D

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
All good points. I promise you I am the very best of the best but I understand your scepticism. You don't know me. Also, to be absolutely fair to my company, they probably will give me the job and title I want because I am the best. The problem is they should be moving fast to lock me in and they just aren't. By the time they get off their butt, I will likely have had to accept an offer from another company and they will have lost me. I would need something in writing to be able to turn down an offer that will be in writing.
I get being confident, but make sure confidence doesn't cross over into cockiness. This post seems like it's well into cocky territory. You're not currently holding any of these amazing offers you're certain are soon to be piling in so I wouldn't overplay my current hand just yet.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Publicly traded private sector, I 100% agree. If I can help it, I'll never hear the words "shareholder value" in the workplace ever again.

Currently working my ass off trying to get my own business up and running. Just landed distribution for all of Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona so fingers crossed I can get this thing going strong enough soon to step away from the day job and make my dream side project the full time bread winner.
Awesome! I wish you the best. Being your own boss will feel very liberating.

I get being confident, but make sure confidence doesn't cross over into cockiness. This post seems like it's well into cocky territory. You're not currently holding any of these amazing offers you're certain are soon to be piling in so I wouldn't overplay my current hand just yet.
Great point. Of course I am saying things on an anonymous forum to my e-friends that I would never say in a professional setting. Am I the best? No doubt in my mind. Would I ever say that at work? No way.

Also, you are right. I don't hold any of these great offers. If I did this post would read "why I decided to leave my company today". I am definitely not counting my chickens before they hatch. I am simply lamenting my company's inaction, or even negative action in some cases, in regards to my future there.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
They know your skills. You want more, they have not delivered. You consider another offer, they match or not. It’s called negotiation. If you’re as good as you say, you should leave because they have a lower assessment of your value than you. It’s business.

I just rehired a woman who left for more money and big position. I countered for a bit less $ and position, told her she’s good, but this is the job and salary that I have, and would miss her. She was good not great. That was 4 months ago. She called two weeks ago asking if coming back was an option. I said yes, and she’s getting what I offered before she left.

I’ve promoted staff and given big raises without being asked, because I don’t want them shopping—they are that good.

I’ve been relieved when asked for me to meet an offer, saying “no” knowing I could easily find a better replacement at the same price.

Sometimes the devil you know... Having to perform annual reviews on close to a hundred staff a year, most everyone thinks they’re better than they are and can’t be replaced without a lot of pain.

Also, sometimes it’s hard to break the mold of what you do in a firm where you’ve been a long time. People don’t see your potential, rather your day-to-day. Oftentimes the grass is greener at a new firm, but you will have to prove your value. And, sometimes it will suck worse.

Try to be honest with yourself regarding your potential. If you are that good, get another offer, and see if they match. If they don’t understand you will be starting over with more money.

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
I have no problem leaving. If I get the offer I feel like I will get, leaving is probably the right call. My rant is mainly on why companies would want jumping ship to be the norm? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I have a side hustle. It doesn't make all that much money but the IRS taxed me for 47k of income off it last year. If things go South with my current day job (say they found out I have already accepted another job in November that starts in the summer but am biding my time until May to actually quit) it might become my main source of income for a few months. :D
how the fuck is 47K of income a 'side hustle'? That's damn near my paycheck :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,256 Posts
how the fuck is 47K of income a 'side hustle'? That's damn near my paycheck :eek:

Well that's because your not the absolute best of the best making a thread about it

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
So what is it that you do that you're so awesome at, and don't say 'everything', our POTUS has that wrapped up.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well that's because your not the absolute best of the best making a thread about it

:laughing: And don't you forget it!

Seriously though, that was not the point of this thread. I make plenty of money and will be just fine regardless of how all this plays out. The point is that companies don't handle this well. It isn't just about me and my situation. I see it all over. If people go to school to better themselves but then have to leave their companies to get what they are worth (which by my estimation is over 90% of my classmates), that seems backwards.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So what is it that you do that you're so awesome at, and don't say 'everything', our POTUS has that wrapped up.
Trump is just copying me. No, in all honesty I would rather not say. I want to keep some level of anonymity. Also remember that being the best is relative and frankly not terribly difficult given my competition. Am I super good at what I do? Absolutely. Does the impressive laziness of my coworkers make it relatively easy to be the considered the best? Oh yeah...

I was offered a job at $48 an hour. The cheapest house I could find in that town was $750k. I didn't move there.

$47k a year in certain parts is poverty. In flyover states, you're the richest guy in town.
Very true. Median home price in my town is like $450k. Not Cali pricing by any means but certainly far and above flyover pricing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
:laughing: And don't you forget it!

Seriously though, that was not the point of this thread. I make plenty of money and will be just fine regardless of how all this plays out. The point is that companies don't handle this well. It isn't just about me and my situation. I see it all over. If people go to school to better themselves but then have to leave their companies to get what they are worth (which by my estimation is over 90% of my classmates), that seems backwards.
Maybe the company doesn’t value what you went to school for. Great example, starting salary of mechanical engineer with a masters is less than one with a bachelors. It provides no value in most jobs.

No offense, but from what I just read, I would move on as your employer. Nothing ruins a successful business environment than a I am the greatest attitude. Trust me, if you leave tomorrow, they will be fine. If you stay, they will also be fine. Never understood why people thought they were so special. Everyone is replaceable.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Maybe the company doesn’t value what you went to school for. Great example, starting salary of mechanical engineer with a masters is less than one with a bachelors. It provides no value in most jobs.

No offense, but from what I just read, I would move on as your employer. Nothing ruins a successful business environment than a I am the greatest attitude. Trust me, if you leave tomorrow, they will be fine. If you stay, they will also be fine. Never understood why people thought they were so special. Everyone is replaceable.

This. I’d much rather have a team player with a good attitude over a self-glorifying badass. A leader isn’t trying to simply assemble the best players, but trying to assemble the best team. Maybe you’re a team player, OP, or maybe you think you’re above your team. By the way—moving up higher in management and being successful means being more of a team player than the individual contributors. You often lose more autonomy the higher you go through the first few rungs of leadership.

·
Registered
871 Posts
This. I’d much rather have a team player with a good attitude over a self-glorifying badass. A leader isn’t trying to simply assemble the best players, but trying to assemble the best team. Maybe you’re a team player, OP, or maybe you think you’re above your team. By the way—moving up higher in management and being successful means being more of a team player than the individual contributors. You often lose more autonomy the higher you go through the first few rungs of leadership.
Bam, spot on! Are you the whole team! Kinda sounds like you think you are. Best of luck in your new job.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts

I can agree with most of that. I do think a lot of companies undervalue some of thier employees. Finding good workers is the biggest problem at every company I've been a part of in my working career.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts