Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Job hopping has already been in general media as the best way to increase incomes. It's not the 1970s, no one is going to reward you for being loyal.

Job hopping is not a red flag anymore. Companies get tax credits for educating you, so you going to college already made them money. They don't need to waste paperwork moving you around, as you have already demonstrated you are willing to work even harder for the same exact pay.

Why should they pay you more when you have nothing to offer them? They already have people doing things, they are already making money. Companies don't become more efficient promoting people. They become more efficient conducting a downsizing bloodbath and letting the scared peasants fight for the remaining positions when opportunities do open up.

When you leave the company with the tens of thousands in education in your pocket, the rest of us get to pay for that by making up the tax liability the company is excused from for 're-educating' you.

It's funny that you have a graduate degree and 16 years experience and don't even know this basic Corporate dick-pulling. I'm not even being remotely cynical about this.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
Job hopping has already been in general media as the best way to increase incomes. It's not the 1970s, no one is going to reward you for being loyal.

Job hopping is not a red flag anymore. Companies get tax credits for educating you, so you going to college already made them money. They don't need to waste paperwork moving you around, as you have already demonstrated you are willing to work even harder for the same exact pay.

Why should they pay you more when you have nothing to offer them? They already have people doing things, they are already making money. Companies don't become more efficient promoting people. They become more efficient conducting a downsizing bloodbath and letting the scared peasants fight for the remaining positions when opportunities do open up.

When you leave the company with the tens of thousands in education in your pocket, the rest of us get to pay for that by making up the tax liability the company is excused from for 're-educating' you.

It's funny that you have a graduate degree and 16 years experience and don't even know this basic Corporate dick-pulling. I'm not even being remotely cynical about this.
I know you are right. I have known it for a long time. I think there was a small part of me that thought if I worked really hard I could change the way the game is played at least where I am concerned (super naive I know). The other large part of me didn't have a whole lot of options because my wife just plain would not move out of the area and I couldn't find another job that would pay even close to what I was making. Working hard worked really well for a while until I stalled out and decided to go back to school to see if I could add some extra differentiation to the mix or at least allow myself to jump ship and get paid the same or better. But far from not being able to change the game for myself, I have now seen people that are smarter, harder working, and just all around better than I in this large group of smartie pants people I go to school with dealing with the EXACT same garbage I am dealing with. Once again, I knew this was an issue but it is alarming to see how prevalent it really is.

Lighten up sally, I never called you anything; just shared a general observation about a group of people, whom you have the potential to become.

... Although a little self eval/ inventory may be in order Since in your own description, your current employer is 'Far from making an effort' to capitalize on the offer you have 'made clearly to be your first choice' of parties to have the opportunity to give you a promotion and pay bump. ( and 'you weren't kidding either!' ) , But yet it seems like they have chosen not to use much of the 'all the resources in the world' to have the opportunity to 'make you happy' by giving you the job that you're 'easily the most qualified person in the company for' so that you can 'have a positive impact' and 'Showcase your new & improved value'.

I'm not sure how I got the impression that an ego-check may be in order. :rolleyes: :flipoff2:
I never said I wasn't a prick, just that it was ironic to be called one by you... :flipoff2:

·
Banned
69 Posts
I know you are right. I have known it for a long time. I think there was a small part of me that thought if I worked really hard I could change the way the game is played at least where I am concerned (super naive I know). The other large part of me didn't have a whole lot of options because my wife just plain would not move out of the area and I couldn't find another job that would pay even close to what I was making. Working hard worked really well for a while until I stalled out and decided to go back to school to see if I could add some extra differentiation to the mix or at least allow myself to jump ship and get paid the same or better. But far from not being able to change the game for myself, I have now seen people that are smarter, harder working, and just all around better than I in this large group of smartie pants people I go to school with dealing with the EXACT same garbage I am dealing with. Once again, I knew this was an issue but it is alarming to see how prevalent it really is.
Demoralizing shit, seems like you're on the well-trodden path of starting your own enterprise.

How good would it make you feel paying your employees a dignified wage while making boatloads of money? Imagine if you could promote that guy who is you.

There are other heartbreaks running your own business but just think, you could definitely fix that for a while. Until you get too successful and the stock buyout is too attractive and you let a bunch of inhuman Chinese investors come in and swamp everybody in a Coolie-labor replacement scheme for your $10 mil you quite obviously deserve for being a good, smart, hard-workin' man.

What's the best line in the film Unforgiven?

No really you should go into business with your idealism and hard work and shit.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
In the past, I got to watch a company play this game... going from keeping 'the best' to 'we have to meet diversity goals'. I was lucky to get out but the company started having issues meeting milestones since they started the 'not even the same ballpark but diverse' game.
Same reason I left my last job. The HR lady was doing everything she could to promote diversity with zero regard to actual ability's and performance. She got the axe shortly after I left :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Highlighting is “doctoring?”
Highlighting is not all you did. You removed words.

Your quote:

No I didn't. In fact just the opposite. I never once equated getting a degree to being the best and brightest. You made that leap all on your own.
The ACTUAL quote:

No I didn't. In fact just the opposite. I started this thread by saying I am actually getting a lot of recognition for it. Just not from the company that you would think would be the easiest for me to get recognition from. I never once equated getting a degree to being the best and brightest. You made that leap all on your own.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Bosses could feel threatened by you. Unfortunately, many base their decisions on themselves instead of what’s best for the company.
I have heard this theory more than once. I didn't used to think it held up. I think there is actually some truth to it now that I have learned more about how things work. That being said, I don't *think* it is a factor in this particular instance but I could be mistaken. Either way there is nothing I can do about it if it is the case.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
All bs aside, does your company have a need to transport those components?
No. We just make 'em and fill up our warehouses till they are full, then to make room we throw away the oldest products in the worlds biggest dumpster.

WTF?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The race to the bottom.

I drove big rigs for years. A million and a half accident-free miles plus. Trucking companies hire training school graduates and suffer much from accidents and court costs. They have a 100% turnover rate. A wealthy friend pointed out that if the trucking companies just paid a decent wage. Many drivers would want to work there, they could pick from experienced drivers with good records. I hate to say it but many truck drivers are the same angry immature person you seeing road raging in a car. The original post, Your company is cheap and being stupid about what saves money. Time to find a better job, work for yourself. I wonder if the same job with a different company would have the same results? Pay and treatment wise.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts