Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

In the past i've run rose joints on my hydraulic steering links. But since then we've been looking at the big 4x4 tractors.

A lot of them run a joint like :

In terms of size, they are the same as the rose joints we'd use.
The big tractors have wheels bigger than what we use on offroad trucks.

So have people used them, and if so what are the feelings ?

Thanks

Gordon

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I'm going to guess that the advantage of the Heim/Rose joint is greater range of motion.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
EMF has a similar looking ball and cup style joint for hydraulic steering I believe. I just looked on their website and unfortunately it's down to let them catch up on orders so couldn't find pictures. They are a high end company with teh price to match, but from what I've heard their products just flat work, and do it for a long time.

*edit* MNorby nailed it :D

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,694 Posts
This does bring up a good point though, if there are tractors and equipment out there using similar parts, is there one that will work for us at a lower price point then say the EMF joints? Anyone in the industry with any direct knowledge on this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Over here, they cost £40 to £50 per joint. M20 - M22 x 1.5 ram end and a few different rod end threads from M18 - M24.

My last rose joints I used were M20.

G

·
Master of none.
3,644 Posts
That same joint is used on a lot of rough terrain for lifts, (cat, skytrak, ect) seems the biggest issue with them is they wear out pretty fast, on my old diffs I was running a set of the EMF joints, they took a beating & never loosened up, but if they ever do they can be tightend up, & even fully rebuilt,
I understand a guy looking for the best deal, but it won't take many worn out tractor joints to pay for a set from EMF,
As for the original question, yes that style joint can & is being used in the off road world,

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Same deal for me. I really like the idea of the EMF joint, people talk highly about them, but I have stacks of 3/4 heims and they are getting easier to find local too

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gordon,

I am planning/have bought these. There appears to be 3 sizes no matter if you look on tractors, JCB's (back hoe excavators), etc. I talked to a JCB mechanic - he had never had to replace one on JCBs, they lift big loads on the front arms, then steer on dry concrete, etc - high steering loads. They are also connected to hydrosteering rams - JCB, John Deere, etc, would not stick a joint on the end of the ram that couldn't take worst case loads.
Worst case they will wear out - fit another - you would have had to with a rose joint....

Only other observation - by a decent one. Cheap track rod ends are shit, so will be cheap in line ends. I bought John Deere as they sold them desperately. They are quality kit. I then didn't follow my own advice with the track rod ends (off a Renault Vineyard tractor) and bought pattern parts - they are rough in comparision.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts