Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking... Why do we only get a small fraction of what we put into our vehicles when we sell them? When you figure in the cost of the base vehicle plus the parts we add in it's incredible how much we let these things go for. O ya.. I'm not even talking about the time and labor we put into the vehicles... just parts themselves.

Like I said.. Just thinking.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
two main reason.
1. once you pay retail, its only worth half of that.
2. these vehicles are very specialized, and only a specialized market and/or type of person is interested.

specialized rigs/cars can and do sell for near what people have in them. street rods for example, but you have to think those kinds of rigs sell for those prices, to people who are looking for that exact thing.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
depreciation.

You buy the shiny bling bling part.
6-mos later it looks like it was used as a speed bump on I-77

That's why

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
suspension, gears, and lockers are bling bling now? Cool.. I can cruise the mall now. :D

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
If you want a hobby that appreciates in value may I suggest talking to your local philatelic shops :flipoff2:

seriously the things we buy have no collectors value and a short lifespan. Used they depreciate rapidly.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Run it till it rots!!!!!! Hell I like the fact that you can keep building and changing off the same basic platform, my rig changes yearly its only a matter of time before it turns into a big mess of tube I can take the wheels off and donate to the local park and recreation board to use as a jungle gym! LOL

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if I were in this for the money I would have built a hot rod instead. Which may be down the road... but that's a different topic for a different time for a different board.

:D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Pdaddy said:
......my rig changes yearly ........
Unless you are a hell of a salesperson, your used vehicle is old. The hightech stuff you put on is yesterday's news. 33" wow that's big, better get dana44's, yesterdays news, 35" tires are the bomb, better ge 60606060's, You need 37's at least! better get CTM's an40 spline, if you want to compete then you need 40's, better get the 2.5 tons. Now there is the push for portals.

So on one end you have the weekend camper/wheeler (me) who thinks he'll start out stock and doesn't want a beater, and on the other end you have the comp guys that want to build their own.

Most people that can't fix their own rigs, need to stay close to stock.

Most that can fix their own rig don't want someone elses booty fab.

It is much worse in the world of racecars, much much worse.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Combination of 4 things:

1 - this stuff is used hard. It's not like a rarely driven car. Anyone interested in buying it, knows it has likely been run hard.

2 - What someone else said about yesterdays bling becoming tomorrow's *yawn*

3 - The market is very small and specialized; and

4 - most people in that market have very specific need/wants/likes/and dislikes - and there's virtually no 2 people that would ever do exactly the same things on a buildup - so the "perfect buyer" simply doesn't exist. This as opposed to something that appreciates like a perfectly restored muscle or sports car...lot's of people lke them exactly that way. On he other hand - 16,000 POR members and no 2 rigs alike.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
gnob said:
two main reason.
1. once you pay retail, its only worth half of that.
I wish more people understood this. The classified ads here on POR are fawkin hilarious sometimes!;) :D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
so, honestly what's it worth..

It's true, cool thing about owning a rig is how you can keep changing it which is why in reality I will probably never sell either of mine :)

my jeep info and pic

On that topic, since Hightoy started this - what is his worth?

Hightoy

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Old Scout said:

I wish more people understood this. The classified ads here on POR are fawkin hilarious sometimes!;) :D
ebay has some dumb ass as well. i emailed a guy today that had his snap on tool box for 10k buy it now. i pointed out to him i could get a brand new one deliver to my house from snap on for 7k. i asked him what made his so valuable. he told me his snap on dealer ttold him it was a limited edition box that was certian to raise in value. what ever. i offered him 5k

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Brandon said:
so, honestly what's it worth..

It's true, cool thing about owning a rig is how you can keep changing it which is why in reality I will probably never sell either of mine :)

my jeep

On that topic, since Hightoy started this - what is his worth?

Hightoy
your jeep $3500 to $4200 or so. if it was a flatty,i'd say $5500 on e-bay.

hightoys rig,as i scrolled through the specs i said $7000. but in reality,probably $5500 to $6000.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I came to terms with this YEARS ago, when I first started wheeling. Because my rig is a daily driver, it's even easier to justify expenses, since not only is the rig taking me through the trails and back, but also to work and back, to the store and back, etc...

I don't really care if I never get back what I put into this, when you play golf you don't get back the green fee, do you? This is my hobby, my passion, it's what keeps me (in?)sane.

Therefore, it pisses me off to no end when people ask me one or both of these two questions:

1. So, how much money do you have in it?
2. Hmm...what kind of mileage does it get??

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bastards, that's like asking someone how much money they make....and the mileage? If I gave a fawk about the mileage I'd drive something else, and no econobox is going to give me the satisfaction that my old Cruiser does.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I try and sell my crap every 2 years. So far i have had good luck. First truck i broke even on. Second truck i made money on. and the third truck. well lets just say i went alittle overbored, and i hope i get close to what i have in it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My zuks are the best therapy I've ever had! There were times this last summer that I wished I had mine to help me cope with real life! lol. When I'm haven a bad day all I need is to go out and beat up on my truck and enjoy the great out doors.

Oh yeah.. one of my zuks is the one I built my Dad so I should say ours :).. And every year during EJS we get to spend some good time with my dad with out my step mom.. It's alot of fun.

So it's priceless.. if someone offered me enough I might sell it to build another one.. but until then It is worth alot more than I invested ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
BillaVista said:

4 - most people in that market have very specific need/wants/likes/and dislikes - and there's virtually no 2 people that would ever do exactly the same things on a buildup - so the "perfect buyer" simply doesn't exist. This as opposed to something that appreciates like a perfectly restored muscle or sports car...lot's of people lke them exactly that way. On he other hand - 16,000 POR members and no 2 rigs alike.
I think that the above is key when you add it to the fact that most of us take a lot of pride in saying, "I built that rig." If I had the money to go out and buy the most bling bling rockcrawler ever and drove it, I probably wouldn't feel as satified at the end of an obstacle or trail as I do now - when I can look at my truck and say, "I put that together and it worked:)".

Now, if anyone wants to give me the most bling bling rockcrawler ever, I'll try to overcome my disappointment...

Jackie

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Most of the rock crawlers I know build their own stuff and have a definate idea what they want in a rig. There are only a small number of people in this sport who have the cash laying around to plunk down on a complete used rig. Some of those people can afford to go to Cambell or Avalanche or someone and buy the trickest, coolest latest rig new exactly built the way they want. (I am jelous too). So, out of that small number of remaining people, you need to find the guy who thinks your rig, that you built the way you wanted, is what he wants in a rig. Pretty small market. I just make sure I got my money's worth of fun out of my rig and use it up.

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
Also depends a lot on where you are and what time of year it is. Here in the Farmington, NM area it is not uncommon for a fairly clean CJ-7 that is somewhat modified but still pretty stock appearing to fetch around 7K, if sold in the spring.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
landuseorc said:
Also depends a lot on where you are and what time of year it is. Here in the Farmington, NM area it is not uncommon for a fairly clean CJ-7 that is somewhat modified but still pretty stock appearing to fetch around 7K, if sold in the spring.
that is what I was shooting for for my jeep, highly modified but not to everyones liking (225/420/toy tcase toy axles fnr, glass body, etc..)

Until I get atleast that I'll keep dumping money into it ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts