Pirate 4x4 banner

481 - 500 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Where did you buy that pump?
we bought couple from fellow offroader from sweden couple years ago,
orginaly it might be spare for Volvo BV202 tracked vehicle and i think he got them from military surplus store or auction.

but vickers vtm models are aviable from any hydraulic store in here.

serpentine pulley from chevy steering pump fits right in to it only needs keyway cut to it

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
after blowing up two cardon pump I read this thread and pulled the trigger on one of these pump. built a super ghetto mount :shaking: new resi and put a pressure relief in line and works great and will never go back to a stock pump. had a buddy machine me an adapter to fit the key way shaft and then press my stock serp pulley on

pic of pump in my ghetto rushed mount.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been thinking about this for awhile. Could you run one of these pumps off a electric 12v motor kind off like a electric water pump. Then you could remote mount it any where you wanted.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #485

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Been thinking about this for awhile. Could you run one of these pumps off a electric 12v motor kind off like a electric water pump. Then you could remote mount it any where you wanted.

you can calculate power demand to run hydraulic steering.

like in my case 200cc steering valve.

to get steering speed in area of 60-100rmp i need pump sized
200cc X 60rmp-100rmp=12000cc/min-20000cc/min from pump

lets say your pump gives 100bar(1450psi) of pressure

for 12000cc/min you only need 2.0kw
for 20000cc/min 3.3kw

so 2000wats divided By 12v is 166amp draw
3300wats 275amp draw

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
You can already buy them like that. People use them for intermittent rear steer.

but the power demand for aggressive steering is basically like running a winch at full load.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
update to vickers vtm27 5gmp pump install.

got the other stuff done to buggy and made test drive.

didnt perform good. took the relief valve out and raised the pressure to 1500psi.
re tested had more power but still was lacking steering speed.

drilled the pump housing outlet port to 8mm size and it feels now pretty good.

pump and steering valve combo orginally gave steering speed of 90rmp/min but it wasnt fast enough.

buggy has 60mm ram with 30mm rod and steering valve is 200cc

has 2.2 revolutions lock to lock with 40 degree steering angle

here is test drive after i got it running right:D

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
buddy found a pic from when he built my pulley adapter for the real hydro steering pump. can see the two set screws and key way for the pump then other end is press fit for the stock serp pulley

How did that hold up without the overhung load bearing?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
How did that hold up without the overhung load bearing?
only have one day of wheeling on it but so far so good, will let you know if it fails. was talking to the buddy that built it about making one that would be longer and run a pillow block if this set up kills the pump from being unsupported.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
In case anyone wondered, the rotation of some gear pumps can be changed. This is how it is done:

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Bringing this back to the top, let's talk reservoir stuff.

What is the best way to keep fluid available to the pump? My battery has been moved from above the drivers fender and that's the closest empty spot to the pump. If I build a tank there, it would taper down towards the front with the pickup on the bottom. Only issue I see with this is when climbing the suction port would be able to suck air.
Plus it would only be 3 gallons or so.

Or I can put one in the bed or under and potentially starve the pump again when climbing due to the long run from back to front.

Another option is a closed system with a pressurized tank to help the suction.

I also searched but couldn't find any electric boost pumps or feed pumps that could shuttle fluid to the pump.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Haha, all these years later I'm coming back to this idea:

Modified a shitty old PSC reservoir that exploded on me in a previous build to mate directly to that pump:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Hmm... A long time ago I said this:

You all were talking about how the hydraulic pumps aren't designed to take side loads on the input shaft and it made me think of the setup on my Cummins:

The pump itself is a Vickers V10NF. It has an SAE A mounting pattern with an 11 spline input. The piece it is bolted onto has it's own shaft with a female 11 spline on the pump side and a straight shaft on the other that the drive gear presses onto. It has it's own bearings to handle the side loads imposed by the drive gear without putting any side load on the pump input. I have no idea who makes it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a pulley vs a gear drive...
And you replied:

FYI, those are called "overhung load adapters."

I've found some here: Model 200 SAE A Mount Overhung Load Adaptors

But they are twice the price of the pump itself and long, making the pump difficult to package. I'm trying to find an alternative. I think I'd rather just replace the pump every now and then to be honest.

J. J.
And now here you are, using a hydraulic pump that probably costs 5 times what a Saginaw pump costs :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
im running 6 rib serpentine and when the oil is cold i get small belt squeal sometimes .

how big is your resi looks very small.

and one thing i have noticed in my set up when rmp drops from over 1000rmp to idle (850 in my 1:1 ration) output of the pump drops like rock.
with my non engine braking transmission i just have to keep it in mind when driving fast in thight places

and remeber to get steering valve with pressure adjustment or you have to run external one:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
And now here you are, using a hydraulic pump that probably costs 5 times what a Saginaw pump costs :flipoff2:
Don't know where you are getting pricing but I can normally find gear pumps for about $100, which is cheaper than any aftermarket pump I've seen. I'm not using an OLB because this is experimental and I didn't want to spend the money. I'm aware that the life of the pump may suffer but I'm not sure by how much. Internally these pumps are supported better than a Saginaw pump so we'll see. If it works I may invest in a OLB. But knowing I may scrap the entire idea I don't see the point in a bearing right now. I'm not even sure what displacement I really want so even if everything works out I might still replace the pump.

im running 6 rib serpentine and when the oil is cold i get small belt squeal sometimes .

how big is your resi looks very small.

and one thing i have noticed in my set up when rmp drops from over 1000rmp to idle (850 in my 1:1 ration) output of the pump drops like rock.
with my non engine braking transmission i just have to keep it in mind when driving fast in thight places

and remeber to get steering valve with pressure adjustment or you have to run external one:flipoff2:
I'm driving the pump at roughly half engine rpm. The 3-rib belt is the only pulley option available to me at that ratio. I guess we'll just have to see how it works. My resi is a standard PSC resi, I'm not sure of the exact volume. My system is balanced so there shouldn't be a drastic fluid level change. I'll run a cooler and see where it gets me. I'm using an external pressure compensated flow control valve. Not sure what to say about your output drop. We'll just have to see.

Almost all of the stuff I have into this setup was crap I had laying around the shop. I had to buy the crank shaft pulley and have the bracket laser cut. So I'm about $200 into the experiment. If it fails there is still space to put a Saginaw pump on. But this engine didn't have a pump in stock configuration so I figured if I was going to have to build brackets I might as well try the gear pump to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Don't know where you are getting pricing but I can normally find gear pumps for about $100, which is cheaper than any aftermarket pump I've seen. I'm not using an OLB because this is experimental and I didn't want to spend the money. I'm aware that the life of the pump may suffer but I'm not sure by how much. Internally these pumps are supported better than a Saginaw pump so we'll see. If it works I may invest in a OLB. But knowing I may scrap the entire idea I don't see the point in a bearing right now. I'm not even sure what displacement I really want so even if everything works out I might still replace the pump.
I was just bustin' your chops :D

Seriously though, if the gear pump moves enough fluid, invest in a Vickers pump with the proper drive. It may not be cheap, but it will last and they are easily rebuildable.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
And yes, I know the Vickers is a vane pump, not a gear pump. All the more reason to use one.

481 - 500 of 547 Posts