Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
I flat tow because I can't get a trailer right now. My rig is street legal (sort of) but I don't want to worry about breaking something out there and not being able to drive home. It's also much more comfy to ride in the tow rig instead of the trail rig;)

As far as towing with the Santa Fe, sounds a little sketchy:eek:

·
Hophead
77,735 Posts
I thought the sme question, why flat tow to our close (60 miles 1 way) wheeling spot when the sami is street legal and comfortable enough. Then one time we were out there and my engine quit working (broke the crank pully). Truck was dead. I had to strap it to a gas station, bum a ride home, drive back out with my truck next day and hook it up and haul it home. Never again will I not tow my rig wheeling. The disadvantage to flat towing is it still needs to roll to do it

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Joe_W said:
The disadvantage to flat towing is it still needs to roll to do it
Exactly........A trailer is definately in our future since the level of wheeling we're doing has gone to the next couple levels.

·
Hophead
77,735 Posts
Mustard Dog said:

Exactly........A trailer is definately in our future since the level of wheeling we're doing has gone to the next couple levels.
Yea me too...have one wheel fall off while flat-towing and all of a sudden you want a trailer :D

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
No money for a trailer and maybe not having a big enough rig TO trailer it maybe?

I plan to flat tow or dolly my 86~ Xcab (SWB frame) with my 2WD Xcab Tacoma. Mainly because I can, and it's a better ride and I have AC and the ability to bring extra gear.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Joe_W said:

Yea me too...have one wheel fall off while flat-towing and all of a sudden you want a trailer :D
Shoot, burn up one set of Swampers flat-towing and you'll think a trailer is cheap.

I didn't, but a friend of mine is working on wearing out a set of 44s within 2 years of wheeling since he drives his rig every where.

Makes my trailer with it's cheap tires look.. well.. economical.

I trailer my Scout anywhere more than an hour from home now that I put TSLs on it.

Tow-rig is quieter, not as skittish, gets the same mileage, not nearly as drafty (soft-top and body damage on the trail rig).. blah blah.

Makes getting home with a broken axle shaft a lot easier, too.. front-wheel-drive with a locker isn't much fun over 15mph..

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
tsm1mt said:

Shoot, burn up one set of Swampers flat-towing and you'll think a trailer is cheap.
I agree, but some don't have the rig to be able to tow with yet. Flat towing/dolly or driving are my only options at this point. I agree the trailer IS cheap considering what tires run. I just could not afford a decent and reliable DD/tow rig AND the trailer at this stage in life. Fullsize used truck prices are insaine IMO and I won't finance a domestic with 100K plus on it :p

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Fullsize trucks are easy to find cheap. There was an F250 in the Sacramento Pennysaver for $750, just needed a new engine. Rest of the truck was just fine.
It was a 6.9L diesel. The 7.3Ls have been showing up at the PnPs quite bit lately. Complete engine, all accesories, fan, flywheel, out the door for $250. Roll in some new bearings, steam clean it, swing it. All for the price of a set of swampers.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Bones said:

I agree, but some don't have the rig to be able to tow with yet. Flat towing/dolly or driving are my only options at this point. I agree the trailer IS cheap considering what tires run. I just could not afford a decent and reliable DD/tow rig AND the trailer at this stage in life. Fullsize used truck prices are insaine IMO and I won't finance a domestic with 100K plus on it :p
I forgot to mention...

I've also logged 10,000 miles flat towing my junk before I bought my 1T 4-door and trailer. :D

I would change tires.. put on some stocker "scabs" and throw the good tires inside the rig, flat tow to where I was going (a competition), then use the OBA on my trail rig (then my tow-rig, too) to change the tires around on the comp rig, go play, then change tires again, hook the tow-bar back up, and tow-bar home.

First race I used my 1T and trailer to pull to.. I broke the front axle in two. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.