Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not that it bugs me a whole bunch but I was wondering.

when I start up my truck and its running I half to rev up the engine a few times to get the alt to "kick in" and start charging, then it charges at what ever RPM

its a typicle GM alt

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Chief...I think they need to reach a certain RPM before they are energized, but I can't remember.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
only if it is a single wire alt.
if its wired corectly, then it shuld energise right away. if you got to bring the revs up a bit then you probably have some sticky brushes, they are prob worn down and are ready to be replaced. hit napa, there like 3-5 bucks for a set.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I had the old external reulator kind and it was fawking up so I swaped in a internal regulated one and wired like

1 -battery threw amp meter

2 - Keyed hot

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Mine has a jumper wire that goes from 2 to 3. That might energize it when you turn the key on.

Does yours drain your batt? Mine does, and so does my buddy's When he disconnects the batt wire, it is fine, but if he leavs it hooked up, batt. is dead in a week.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Had the same problem. It was solved by adding an led to the brown lead to act as an exciter (or act as an idiot light) problem solved.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
So, you have a wire that cones from your igntn. switch to your alt? I don't have one of those. All I have is the batt. wire and the 2-3 jumper.:confused:

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
motorhead72k5 said:
So, you have a wire that cones from your igntn. switch to your alt? I don't have one of those. All I have is the batt. wire and the 2-3 jumper.:confused:
yeah thats the way I thought it was supost to be from soe site I read

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
This is the regulator bypass hole. Sticking a long thin metal object about 2 inches deep into this D-shaped hole causes the alternator to go to full charge. If you do this while it's dark out and the main power wire is disconnected, the whole alternator will emit a cool X-Files type glow. I don't recommend that you try this since you'll likely end up frying your alternator.
Is this true...:eek: :D

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I think mine is that style with a single wire conversion. Hmmmm.
I may go to that setup.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Chief yelling alot said:
not that it bugs me a whole bunch but I was wondering.

when I start up my truck and its running I half to rev up the engine a few times to get the alt to "kick in" and start charging, then it charges at what ever RPM

its a typicle GM alt
I wouldn't worry about. I have an 80 amp Delco in my Jeep and if I start it in gear (auto trans) without using the gas my idjit light will come on. Once the alternator gets up to around 1500-1800 RPM the light goes out and everything is fine. Remember, the alternator turns at around 2X engine RPM

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
"This is the regulator bypass hole. Sticking a long thin metal object about 2 inches deep into this D-shaped hole causes the alternator to go to full charge. If you do this while it's dark out and the main power wire is disconnected, the whole alternator will emit a cool X-Files type glow. I don't recommend that you try this since you'll likely end up frying your alternator. "

So why can't this be done to make the internally regulated chevy alternator into an onboard welder?? Just curious. That's basically what you do with a ford alternator right? By pass the regulator and then adjust the idle speed.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I conected 2 and 3 together and now it works the way it should

thx

stupid website

1 - 17 of 17 Posts