Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and there seems to be a lot of people who think it's too expensive to be worth it. I can beleive this for anything larger than a 18' tandem 7k, but said trailer and smaller, espicially custom fit to your rig seems viable to me. Like the one sonny honeger has on his site with the single, dually axle. I totally dig that thing! Any one built custom fit trailer?

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Over Rev does build them. he is in Vallejo, however I have no clue abot prices.

Dimitri

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna build my own for many reasons.

1- I don't like the designs out there

2- I love to fab

3- I don't like the designs out there

People have said that a application only trailer is bad because you can't use it for anything else, but I already have a tandem 16 foot 7k and I just don't like putting my Jeep on it.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
So what are you going to do that is so much better than everything else out there? :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've thought about it, but there are so many guys out there selling flatbeds for next to nothing. I bought my 18' for $1300 brand new complete with brakes.

I have considered building "specialty" custom trailers, but to date I remain firmly planted on the fence. Heck I haven't even bothered to check into how I would go about getting legal VIN #s to go on the trailers.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
utahjeepr said:
Heck I haven't even bothered to check into how I would go about getting legal VIN #s to go on the trailers.
FWIW, In Kansas, If you build one and want a VIN # on it you just take It to the Kansas State Troopers office. They inspect it and will rivet a plate on it with the VIN #. I think the charge is $20 but I am not sure. The bad part about the "Legal VIN" is you have to register/tag the trailer and pay property taxes on it if is capable of hauling 2000# or more. :rolleyes: The upside would be if it got stolen it would be easy to claim.

I think a person would have to get a premium for building one for someone else. For most people it is just not worth it. To much time involved, unless your time is not worth anything. Just figure out what materials alone would cost and go from there. Like many have said, look at the prices on them.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I built mine..Cost me 900$ total cost and it will haul more then you can stop..have had everything from sandrails to track ho..I have brakes on both axles..I got a good buy on the steel and axles though..Will take and post a pic tomarrow...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Because we haven't quite figured out how to mount the coilovers on them yet. :)

Seriously though, I think the trailer places get good prices on the materials because of quantity, so building them as a "one off" or one at a time would cost a bit more.

I've pondered the thought a bit, but haven't researched it yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have to admit I am considering it!!! The reason is, I am gonna have a spare 12 bolt axle soon... Most of us are pulling and swapping axles and end up with ones we dont need. My thoughts are, why not use em for a trailer? (There probably is a good reason... I am an accountant, not mechanic and thus somewhat clueless...and researching!)

Heck... if you had the same axles on the trailer as trail rig...you got spare parts waiting on you at camp? (Yeah I know... I am running dana 44/Corp 12 bolt, those running uber expensive stuff this might not be worth it!)

My goal would be to build it so I can add 'wooden' side rails, etc and use for lawn stuff as needed too.

Sam

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
price isn't really much of an issue for me, I can pick up a 16 foot flat bed for 600-800 bucks. I just want it more specific to my rigs needs, lower cg, higher rated axles, shorter overall, but longer tongue than most. Would like to see the pic, mr4x4, also, what was your deal on materials? Utah jeeper, if it is under 700 lbs, you do not need to register it in UT, but the one I'm thinking about making is surely more than that.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I picked up a used 16' dual 3500 lb axle trailer, 83" between the fenders, diamond plate fenders you can drive over, all for $750.... Why even consider building one? My time is worth more than that...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DRM said:
I picked up a used 16' dual 3500 lb axle trailer, 83" between the fenders, diamond plate fenders you can drive over, all for $750.... Why even consider building one? My time is worth more than that...
And you are completely and totally satisfied?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I considered building my own, but when I started figuring cost of materials, the labor involved, and the hassle of working with long heavy iron I bought one. In this thread it has been mentioned that someone spent 900 in materials to build one and someone else just paid 1300. for 400 bucks you can't justify the hassle and labor unless it is a project that you really want to do. About 5 years ago I spent just over 1000 and got 102" to the outside of the tires, brakes on both axles, the jack moved away from the tailgate and a couple of other options I can't remember. It is a 16' utility, he was going to charge me the same if it was 12', 14'or 18' because he said that wasw what they charged him. When he got enough orders together he took a ride down to Missouri and brought up a half a dozen stacked on top of each other. I bought mine from a really honest guy who didn't charge me for a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and only charged me a minimal amount for several upgrades.

You were joking when you said you were thinking about using a 12 bolt and building a trailer around it...........right :rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hickeyjones said:
Utah jeeper, if it is under 700 lbs, you do not need to register it in UT, but the one I'm thinking about making is surely more than that.
Whoa, I lived in Utah for much of my life. The 700 lbs (actually, I believe it is 750) is for GVW of the trailer not the GEW (gross empty weight, ie tare weight),

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I built this traler from scratch for my dad (in return for a welder)
its not for cars (next one :) )
its for his boat and other things (biks, quads, gravel etc)

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
utahjeepr said:
I've thought about it, but there are so many guys out there selling flatbeds for next to nothing. I bought my 18' for $1300 brand new complete with brakes.

Did you get that in So Cal, and if so where at?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Actually I picked it up in IL a couple years ago, but there is a place here in Santa Clarita that I have heard sells flatbeds pretty cheap and there is also a guy in Bakersfield that a few of the guys in my club have bought there trailers from. The guy in Bakersfield builds shorty car haulers just long enough for a trail rig and sells them for around a grand. I can try to get the info if you are interested.

And BTW that $1300 I paid included tax and registration :D

I'm thinking of selling my trailer in the near future and buying or building a smaller one. The 18' deck is really too long for what I need, it is also extra wide (which is cool). I bought it to move out here after my wife finished up her master's degrees at U of I and just kept it. Now that I have a motorhome (36'), I think I'm going to want a shorty. The big size has come in handy a few times, I towed a dually on it once :eek:

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I built this one:

BUT I got all of the parts in exchange for working in my friends parents trailer manufacturing shop for a few weeks at night and on weekends to help them out. Unless you assume your time is worth nothing it is not going to save you any $$$ in the end.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts