Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over top of the pitman arm. i think i saw the Curries jeep had it mounted here. then you could mount the cap end of the cylinder on the cross member. kind of like the factory mounting for the steering stabilizer.

or mount the cap end to the frame just aft of the pitman arm/drag link tie rod end. then the rod end to the drag link?

just ordered my West Texas assist and have been searching for where to mount the ram. have found some pic's but have not seen anyone try these locations.

steelman

·
Registered
540 Posts
steelman said:

or mount the cap end to the frame just aft of the pitman arm/drag link tie rod end. then the rod end to the drag link?

steelman
I would be carefull here. What happens in articulation or even hitting a bump? The drag link to frame relationship will change where as axle to tie rod relationship will stay the same. The further down (towards the tie rod) on the drag link you plave the ram the worst this scenario will be.

·
Registered
318 Posts
One of the benefits of a ram assist is to relief some of the stress on the steering box, so I would think locating the ram assist on the pitman arm would increase the stress when you have a tire up against an immovable object and are cranking hard on the wheel.
Any other opinions, and I think team Currie moved there’s off the pitman arm at some point.
And when I was dropping off my steering box at Lee Mfg. a few years ago team Curries steering stuff from another box/ram Mfg. was sitting in a box waiting to be looked at, it was the opinion of Lee Mfg. it was junk.
Just my $.02, Francois.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts