Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just finishing my 4 link suspension on my 93 YJ. Let me just take a minute to explain exatly what I did... 1 1/4" heims with 2X2" .250 wall square tubing on all links. My lower links are so long they almost touch under the center of the transmission. 14 bolt and Dana 60. I built a 231/300 doubler with 2 CVs on each driveshaft. My Engine Hoist runs out of room well before I run out of articulation. I have Air bags off of a Freightliner that have 20" of travel and are rated at 30,000 lbs. I know that is not good unless you can control it. Why not use bypass shocks with limiting straps, and winches and air bags with CO2? With my setup ride height at 24" I plan on chopping the frame to dump all the air down 8" and air up 12" inches from there. It would go from almost stock height totally stuffing my 40" Pro Comps, to rediculously high.

I keep hearing everyone say not to run Air Bags but no one can tell me why. It will leak.. Okay I have spare coils for a trail fix. They are not progressive... Okay the bypass shocks will be.

I will be running this setup on the road regularly as well as the rocks, and the occassional swamp. The ability to lift it to the sky for a deep hole and then dump the air from one corner and winch in to suck that corner or side down on a side hill of rocks seem pretty usefull to me.

Can someone who actually has experience, with an Air Bag Suspension off road, please tell me why it is not a good idea? It seems like I have infinite adjustability with this setup.

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
It seems to me that you'd be spending all your time trying to adjust air pressure and winch tension to get the travel you need. Why not just run springs or air shocks, and a suck down winch if you need it. No one wants to be behind the guy that takes an hour to go up an obstacle because he has too many switches that jack with. :shaking:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone?

Anyone have experience with an air bag setup off road?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 rocker switches right next to my seat seems pretty easy to figure out. 3 position with spring to center.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ya some people take to long messing around with rear steer. Then people that don't have it just walk up the rocks.

Make things simple. Would suck if you blew out a bag or something.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There is ALOT of misconception about air springs. They are very versatile, and the adjustability is great to have.

The air springs you have are probably huge. I would not anticipate running very much pressure at all. If you can fit them in there go for it.

Most every issue I've heard about with running air springs off road can be attributed to poorly designed suspension setups.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
My brother is running airbags in the rear of his rig. It's a ugly looking setup, but he just fills the bags half way up and doesn't touch them for the rest of the day. Like others have said, the guys I've seen with bags seem to be messing with them constantly.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Off-roading

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
My brother is running airbags in the rear of his rig. It's a ugly looking setup, but he just fills the bags half way up and doesn't touch them for the rest of the day. Like others have said, the guys I've seen with bags seem to be messing with them constantly.

View attachment 540286

im still trying to figure out WTF is goin on :laughing:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I still laugh thinking back to us laying under that pig with a flashlight after cashing the kegs. good times.

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I still laugh thinking back to us laying under that pig with a flashlight after cashing the kegs. good times.
I woke up, walked outta the tent and my GF asked "Did you fall down" :laughing:

Seems I gots iron ore all over my new C4C shirt. Falling down could have happened though. Free kegs of IPA make shit a little fuzzy.

Yeah that rig seems to work pretty well on the big rocks. Had it up to speed?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I wouldnt take that pig over 30, I know that. Sit's a little to high for my comfort level running 44's at 5psi. She floats a bit:eek:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I haven't heard a good reason not to yet, so I cut out my rear passenger frame. I will be boxing it in today. I will post pictures.

Nice limiting straps. That thing is a little bigger than I am planning on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fish plates?

I was thinking about fish plates. What suggestions do you guys have on how many to run. I was considering just boxing the whole frame with fish plates and around the back area where I mounted the bumper. I am not sure if it is necessary, but I want to be abble to get yanked out of anything from the back bumper if it comes to it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
check out "oddrod4x4" he has bags on arms in the back of his Amigo. and that thing is frickin bad ass.
Found this on his profile; "I have actually had two amigos now. The first was a first generation one. I actually airbagged and channeled it. It layed the body on the ground with 18" oz racing wheels. I never got it finished enough to drive."

He doesn't mention air bags on his current one. Does he have a build thread?

·
Registered
566 Posts
not in what you would call a wheeler just a big mud truck but we had a ton of fun with her and i do plan on resurrecting the set up again in a jeep truggy / buggy how much of each is still to be determined

a couple quick pics

bag's up

we designed the 4 link to be strong and as such ended up with some significant axle steer but fuck did it twist up for 10 years ago ...lol

closer look remember this is OG :flipoff2:

bags down

bags up @ a show n shine ...a Buddie owned a detail shop

go for it

1 - 20 of 42 Posts