Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock GM HEI. (1973 vintage.) It runs fine when I don't have the tach plugged into where it says, "Tach" on the dist/coil, but as soon as I plug the tach in, all spark is killed and it won't start at all. WTF? Out of curiosity, have tried several different wires. As long as there is a wire hooked up to the "tach" plug, engine won't start. Starts fine as soon as I unplug the wire.

J. J.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
have you pulled the housing apart to see if there's a short. Thats what it sounds like to me. Or pull the BATT side off and put a multi-meter on it and the TACH side to see if you have a closed circuit.

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
is your tach good?

maybe you're grounding out the coil through the tach

·
Registered
324 Posts
what kinda of tack is it? if its a monster, which color wire are you hooking up to the HEI

·
Registered
324 Posts
incase it is, white is light, red is the ignition-power, black ground, and green goes to the tack slot.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're hooking up the green wire. It's a Sun Supertach II. (Chrome bevel ... bling bling.)

J. J.

·
Registered
324 Posts
take a random loose wire. and stick in in the tach slot. if it causes it to die, you know its not the tach, since the random wire isnt hooked up to anythink. then you can figure out from there. butif it still runs fine its probaly the tach. try the tach on another car. or try another tach on yours

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got it worked out today, ya'll. The 2 plugs we had going into the stock plug location were shorting out on each other. We just taped them up a bunch and it worked out fine. Thanks for the advice. The checking the cap idea is what made us think of that.

J. J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts