Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to say I am not a rzr hater but I do not like polaris for reliabilty reasons. I think the rzr is an incrediable machine right out of the box but its kinda like a caddilac,when its runing its the shit but thats when.

I have a teryx and for the most part I am pleased with it. Aftermarket seats and upgraded tires made me a happy camper but I could use the rzrs power and suspension for sure.Once again Im not bashing the rzr Im just wondering why they are everywhere. Are the really that much better of a machine than the canham,teryx, or rhino?

I know those machines are differnt class <more work> But I ride behind so many poeple in Tenn,Ky and Wv that have these 15k machines and they ride at 20mph everywhere they go or have 5 inch lift kits and 31s and ride through 5ft of water with the rzs. I think the rzr is ment to be ran and ran hard.They are built to take the whoops and trails but so many poeple have them and use them like a golf cart or truck. why are they everywhere. Is it just a trend or am I missing the boat?

Yes I have ridden rzrs and I rided with a couple of them in the mountains and I stay with them everywhere but the straight aways granted Im hanging on for life and they are sipping coffe with there plush suspension but they seem to break often.Axles, belts, tranny, front diff cage.
I have 2k on my machine and its all mountain riding at full throttle and I have replaced the front pads and thats all
Im sure I will get shit on for this thread but I really want to know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2011 Std LE. For far I’ve put a Dragon Fire Racing +4 kit on it, Elka shocks, Crow 5-points, and built a custom cage. I will say the RZR is a huge pile of shit, but it is the funnest off-road toy I’ve ever owned. At 6miles the clutch broke, at 60miles the crank seal failed, but after they fixed those gremlins it’s been a relatively trouble free UTV. I went through the trouble of making mine street legal and I race it in the TREC series at the Badlands. For the price you pay for these machines I would have thought the fit and finish to be better than what it is. I’m not sure why Polaris thought it was a good idea to use self-tapping screws, but they did and they are everywhere on this machine. If another company made something like the Std or S RZR I would be all over it…I’m not interested in having something as big as the XP or the new Arctic Cat.

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
RZR craze is pretty obvious to me.

It's the fastest, most capable line of UTV's on the market for the money.

RZR is the only 50" wide UTV capable of riding legal on ATV only trails.

RZR S was the first high performance UTV, reaching speeds of 60+ MPH stock, out of the box with Fox shocks.

RZR XP was the first extreme performance UTV, reaching speeds of 75MPH with huge travel, capable of flying across whoops at the same speeds of 100K+ trophy trucks.

I have a RZR XP.....no problems other than self-inflicted. All the brands have their pluses and minues. Polaris is an American company, trying to compete with Japanese and Korean machines...it should be LAUDED for having price points comparable to the competition.

Can AM is a fast dump truck with LOTS of problems...just venture on their forum.

Teryx isn't nearly as fast and more "UTV" than Sport UTV.

Honda...not a player

Rhino - Started it all....but is WAY dated...slow.

Arctic Cat - First machine attempting to challenge RZR's in performance. Time will tell. Arctic Cat dealer network is super weak compared to Polaris.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
You make several valid points, however I must wonder if people are dumping 15-20k into a stock side by side to go ride ATV trails or play in the dunes, is there a better or cheaper option?

Many people will mod their rigs with everything from small items like wheels/tires up to long travel suspension kits and turbo kits costing many thousands of dollars. You could quickly find yourself driving a RZR that cost $30-40K. That is a shit ton of money for what is basically an ATV, IMO...

Though its not exactly a fair comparison, one could easily get a new/used Raptor type machine to play in the dunes, a sport ATV for trail riding and/or a basic buggy or truggy for crawling and probably not spend 40k.

Maybe the appeal is that many SxS do everything pretty well, even if left stock or only mildly modified. Could you build a nice buggy for 40k? Sure. Could you build one for 15K? Sure, but you can buy these and hit the trail.

We dont have dunes, but I have driven a long travel turbo RZR800 its a blast. Would it be worth 25-40 grand to me? No way in hell....

Where are the RZR's manufactured?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I used to have built rigs I had everything from a 46 ford mud truck on a blazer frame to a wrangler and a couple beat old ford trucks with hacked fenders and 38s crammed on them. The reason I got out of building and wheeling fullsize rigs was the places to wheel around here were shut down, and I didnt want to have something I could not do anything with unless I hauled it a couple of hours at least to go play. I got into sport quads and did that for quite a while but it was basically the same deal I had to drive 150miles to the dunes and that was about all I rode short of county roads (legal here as long as it isnt dark and you stay off of state highways). I had a couple friends get sxs back in 08 and it sparked my interest but performance wise they sucked and they couldnt really wheel like I was used to, in 2010 my dad and I bought a rzr s and I learned how much the market improved in 2 years and we started wheeling again. The thing I like about sxs's is I never had any of my rigs built well enough to take the downright abuse these things can handle I have done crawling to dunes to full throttle assaults on hills banging the rev limiter and they dont even blink compared to an average joes rig. The other benefit to them is you can use them everyday if you have time my commander sees double duty as a toy and mini tractor at my house, during the weekends I go play and then I get home and haul firewood to the house, move trailers/haul stuff around, haul torches and other tools in the back and then take the dog for a ride before calling it quits. I have never saw a rig that fills so many voids with one machine compared to a sxs and for me it was cheaper and wiser to spend $20k after the mods I wanted on one vehicle than having 3 or 4 purpose built ones.

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
That's exactly it....people can...and do..modify the crap out of them. But you do not have to. You can walk in, buy a RZR S or XP....and literally..haul ass at 60+ mph....flying over bumps, jumps, rocks, sand, trails, hills, desert...right off the dealer floor.

And the best part is....when you break an axle? It's 150 bucks. Break tie rod? It's 50 bucks.

I don't think there's anything on my Jeep, that would cost 50 bucks to fix...lol.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IM not asking why the sxs craze, I am asking why polaris.Not polaris bashing but there dealer service polls are awfull and I have pulled alot of them out of the woods.
I kind of see it like the <Im a harley rider thing>. You know if you own a bike it has to be a hog bla bla bla.

I hate to admit it but my next sxs will probably be a rzr s because it fits my riding terrain and riding style. It would take severeal thousand dollars to make my teryx as fast or handle like a rzr. Kinda like ricers spending tons of $$ to keep up with a stock v8. I still think they are pieces of shit that you better have a warrenty with and I still dont understand why poeple buy a fast sport machine to go slow or deep in..I guess to each his own.

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
I hate to admit it but my next sxs will probably be a rzr s because it fits my riding terrain and riding style. It would take severeal thousand dollars to make my teryx as fast or handle like a rzr.
You just answered your own question right there. The reasons I spelled out earlier, are why Polaris RZR over other SxS's.

The Wildcat is the ONLY SxS that comes even remotely close to competing on a sport level with the RZR....and it's unproven, has size issues and motor that has been ignored by the aftermarket crowd. The new RZR XP motor easily has more mods out there available that the Arctic Cat motor in the Wildcat...between Stage Kits, bores and turbos...and it's been available way shorter time.

If you want a dump truck....There are LOTS of options...uncluding the Polaris Rangers....if you want a proven sports SxS.....not many choices.

I give Polaris credit....they had the RZR S with no competition...and went out and designed the XP to up the ante.

I've found location is a real key Polaris brand opinion....Canada and West....Polaris is huge. South? Not so much. But that makes sense, since they typically mud bog...and Sportsman's were never designed for that. Like it or not, but the Sportsman ATV is the biggest selling model of ATV ever.

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a sportsman. It introduced me to independnt rear and cvt but sold it because it was not reliable. Gave them 1 more chance and bought another one and it let me down again.
I guess I will just have to shut the hell up and buy a polaris and hope for the best.
Any one want to buy a teryx:flipoff2:

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
I had a sportsman. It introduced me to independnt rear and cvt but sold it because it was not reliable. Gave them 1 more chance and bought another one and it let me down again.
I guess I will just have to shut the hell up and buy a polaris and hope for the best.
Any one want to buy a teryx:flipoff2:
LOL...I've owned 4 Sportsmans over the years. Nobody beats the suspension and the AWD system for rocks. But...I've had some issues...but not horrible. Of the 4 machines...most were self-inflicted issues. I had a water pump go...but it was a warranty fix. I did get a 5 year warranty on my RZR XP.

All my Sportsman's frames have cracked...but I know all the places now. So it doesn't phase me. I thought it was a Polaris thing...and my friend's Eiger is cracked all over too.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Not sure how "big" Polaris sales are in the SE states, but their advertising is HUGE down here. Not saying anything good or bad about them because I dont own a RZR, but could easily be a Bose Audio or Banks Diesel situation where everyone knows the name and thinks they are good, when in reality there are better products to be had, often at a lower price. Definitely have lots of good marketing and it appears they have machines with little if any competition, which seems strange to me with the experience and resources of the competitors.

Make a good solid quality machine with 80-100hp, 13-14 inches of wheel travel, handles and drives well, good ergonomics and good price and people will buy it. That has been proven time and again. Hell, put the 100hp turbo Weber motor in there and be the first guy to offer a factory turbo motor or 14" wheels or whatever the spin is to differentiate yourself. The XP900 that I climbed around last week was not built all that well. I realise they get beat up on trails and such, but build quality could stand to be improved IMO...

I think they do have a niche and its working for them. Is it the absolute best deal and highest quality product available? Probably not.. Do you really have a direct competitor to cross shop against an XP900 or RZR-S? I'm not up on all the latest models, but in the past, the answer has been a resounding no.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Out of the box they are ready to go. I love mine and can tell you, other than an Arctic Cat Wild Cat, nothing is in the same class for out of the box fun.

Get a Kawi and add a $5000 suspension and you may be in the same park as a RZR-4. Seems dumb to me to dump all the $ in these that folks do.

Defeats the purpose of a cheap alternative to a buggy or rail to have 30k tied up in a sxs.

Mine does everything I want and it is stock.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Haha no shit Copperhead42!

Your videos helped inspire me to get our second rzr (running a rzr4 this time), and when people I know ask about how rzr's do offroad, I tell them to watch your youtube vids haha!

I have had good luck with Polaris products overall, and we have owned one polaris sport quad, two sportsman xp's, a rzr-s, and now a rzr4.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
I'm ride red through and through when it was sport quads and dirt bikes. Honda doesn't make one, I thought Polaris was pure shit, but these things take a beating like nothing else. Upgrade the axles and wheel like the front end is a lp 60 with stock shafts (never land on the gas, but flat foot it on flat ground). I've beat mine mercilessly, and if its in copperhead's vids, it the one without plastic and totally F'd up, and i've broken exactly one front axle and a front R&p. Also put a holz cage in the front. Just don't land on the throttle on either end. There is no way even the KOH buggies I've raced in the last 3 years would take the beating you can put on these. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I'm ride red through and through when it was sport quads and dirt bikes. Honda doesn't make one, I thought Polaris was pure shit, but these things take a beating like nothing else. Upgrade the axles and wheel like the front end is a lp 60 with stock shafts (never land on the gas, but flat foot it on flat ground). I've beat mine mercilessly, and if its in copperhead's vids, it the one without plastic and totally F'd up, and i've broken exactly one front axle and a front R&p. Also put a holz cage in the front. Just don't land on the throttle on either end. There is no way even the KOH buggies I've raced in the last 3 years would take the beating you can put on these. Ridiculous.
:smokin:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
na you baby yours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtzr9_0OBU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1 - 20 of 34 Posts