Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1967 45LV with a stock F engine running a weber carb. The engine has a horrible whine to it. I have determined that the whine is from the vaccum in the engine. If I pull the line going from the carb to the valve cover the whine stops. When I put it back it goes again. If I pull the tube going to the PCV valve the engine stalls immediatley.

Any ideas for the whine? Do I have a small leak somewhere? Do the hoses need to be replaced, the PCV valve, somewhere else need attention?

Oh yeah, the whine seams to start after it warms.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Take the oil filler cap off, and see if it whines after that. The valve cover hose should go to the air cleaner, NOT to the carb intake vaccuum. If you have no source of air entering the engine with a closed system and a PCV valve, it will suck air through the rear main seal and the front timing cover seal making the whining noise.

The PCV valve should come from the oil fil tube that year to intake vacuum.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm with brett.. If you had the line in the valve cover hooked to vacuum it possibly was a whine from the valve cover sealing surface on the head. Also possible to find the whine with carb cleaner. i had a whine similar in my fj40 at one point that was way annoying, found the intake leak with carb cleaner. With a webber you can use a normal Fj40 carb insulator to tap into for your pcv or go to the intake manifold where the vacuum goes in for the 4wd vacuum if there is no normal port for the pcv vacuum to hook up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went back at it. Ended up that it was a bad PCV valve. The spring in it was broken. I rigged up one from a 40 and it fixed it.

Now the battle will be to get on that threads into the oil filler tube. Any thoughts? No go via Toyota, SOR, etc. new maybe used?

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
Ground Up said:
Well I went back at it. Ended up that it was a bad PCV valve. The spring in it was broken. I rigged up one from a 40 and it fixed it.

Now the battle will be to get on that threads into the oil filler tube. Any thoughts? No go via Toyota, SOR, etc. new maybe used?
New aftermarket IS an option.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always forget about aftermarket. I am ione of those purists. :D

Called Napa they will have one in tommorow.

Thanks all. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts