Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to sell my college 4Runner build and start over new with a WOD chassis. The 4Runner was my first build and really rough around the edges, although I learned a lot. It was an 87 4Runner that I put tons under and welded it all from the ground up with my dad’s Lincoln 225 AC stick welder (quite the learning curve). Now I decided to part with it in hopes to get into Ultra4 racing one day.

Current parts list:
WOD TJ Jeep chassis w/ family cage, link mounts, drivetrain mounts, bypass hoops, swaybar tubes
WOD Aluminum links
WOD Griffin radiator w/ -16 AN fittings
WOD Sanderson headers with v-bands
WOD winch plate
WOD ram plate, gussets, ram tube
Ford HP Dana 60 w/ WOD truss and link mounts, 5.38 gears, Detroit locker
14 Bolt rear w/ WOD truss, ECGS shave kit, 5.38 gears, mini spool, pinion guard w/ tie in
QA1 1” tie rod ends
LQ9 short block w/ shaved heads and Texas Speed cam
4L80e transmission
NP205 Ford adapted to 4L80e, shaved stock top mount off, level sight tube

Parts needed:
Well this list is a lot longer….but coilovers, bypasses, swaybars, bumps, steering, fluid coolers, brakes, seats, etc….etc…etc…

As of today, we are almost to a rolling chassis. Once I get coilovers and bypasses I can mock up the upper and lower shock mounts.

It is going to be picture heavy up front showing progress since June.

Backstory:

So it started out with me and my dad driving out to Tennessee to pick up the chassis at the end of May. It was about a 10 and a half hour drive from Smithfield, VA and my dad and I decided it would be a good idea to pick it up and come straight back home. 26 hours after leaving I’m back with the new chassis. From here on out this buggy got the name “TURN AND BURN”.

I got the engine and transmission out of a high mileage 2002 Chevy 2500 pickup. Turns out the block had a crack in it so new short block here I came. Rebuilt engine with shaved 317 heads and texas speed 224R cam kit. The 4L80e tail shaft got shaved down about an inch for the advance adapters Ford NP205 to 4L80e adapter to work. I combined the adapter with a clocking ring to rotate the T-case up a bit. I added a tail housing support for the heavy NP205, in fear of cracking the aluminum transmission adapter. I thought I would put a little flair on the t-case mount. Also thought it would be cool/functional to add a sight tube.

Now drivetrain is mocked up onto the front axle. I broke down the 1989 Ford Dana 60 and stripped all the brackets off. The truss took FOREVER to weld onto the axle tube…one inch at a time so the axle tube wouldn’t warp. I welded in the winch mount in between truss welds. Once truss was welded in the hydro ram mount and link brackets went pretty quickly.

Rear axle truss went a little quicker. Welded up pinion guard, pinion to truss tie-in, truss, and link tabs no problem. Once it was mocked up where I wanted, it was time to move onto shaving the 14 bolt. With the help of a buddy it went a lot smoother than I thought it was going to and man does it make a difference!

Since I was in the shaving mood, I saw were people shave the stock mounting portion of the NP205 so it doesn’t get into the floorboard. So naturally I tore apart my freshly rebuilt and painted t-case to cut it up. After going through about 5 sawzaw blades I finally bit the bullet on a “special for cast iron” diamond grid blade. Still didn’t slice through it like butter but got the job done. All said and done I think it was worth it.

I am going to pull the trigger on coilovers and bypasses in the next couple weeks so hopefully there will be some more progress shortly. I drew up some test brackets for lower front shock mounts (in pictures below) so we will see how they work out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's your money, and I really dig that chassis, but that seems like underkill for 4400; even on the east coast.

I’d agree. Mostly likely will build it up and have a haul ass trail/entry racing rig. Learn what I do and don’t like then eventually pull parts for dedicated 4400 chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a ton of progress pictures to upload but can’t post pictures until I get my count up.

1,188 Posts
I’d agree. Mostly likely will build it up and have a haul ass trail/entry racing rig. Learn what I do and don’t like then eventually pull parts for dedicated 4400 chassis.

Nice build. You could look at Dirt Riot, they have 4400 class.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fox bypasses, coilovers, and bumps and antirock coming in the mail thanks to Skinny Pedal Racing and tuned by Accutune. Hopefully some progress pictures will be coming soon

1 - 20 of 138 Posts