Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
This is such a sexy build. I've drooled over the WOD TJ Chassis since I first saw it. I'm LS swapping my TJ this year, and I'm having a hard time convincing myself NOT to just get the chassis and swap my TJ over to it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
This is such a sexy build. I've drooled over the WOD TJ Chassis since I first saw it. I'm LS swapping my TJ this year, and I'm having a hard time convincing myself NOT to just get the chassis and swap my TJ over to it.

Thanks man! It’s definitely a big jump but worth it if you can swing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Make some progress on my one day off this week. Ran and restocked on some DOM tubing and got some 1/8” plate. Used the plate to box in the front bumpstop cans.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Huge milestone out the way. Front suspension all tacked up! Only thing left is shock hoop cross member and limit straps then onto the rear

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
make sure the mount clears that rebound adjuster when it is fully out, because chances are in operation it will be close

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
make sure the mount clears that rebound adjuster when it is fully out, because chances are in operation it will be close

Nice look! I did have to clearance it when I was cycling the suspension about a 1/8” full droop clearance. And about the same distance for the bypass from the frame rail during full flex. She’s tight.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Nice look! I did have to clearance it when I was cycling the suspension about a 1/8” full droop clearance. And about the same distance for the bypass from the frame rail during full flex. She’s tight.

with the adjust all the way out?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Front hoop crossmember tacked up. Hopefully get to the radiator tomorrow. I think the reservoir mounting locations turned out pretty decent. Hopefully there are no interferences down the road.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Radiator is in. I had to notch the upper frame rail a little for the griffin radiator spec'd for this build from WOD to fit. Maybe it wasn’t planned on sitting this low :confused: None the less, it is in there and there is about an 1-1/2” spacing from the back of the fans to engine accessories so it’s going to be tight. And super short radiator hoses.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
There have been a couple minor setbacks. The shock hoop crossmember I got from WOD was to wide so I figured I can cut it down, sleeve it with some 1.5" DOM, and weld it back up. Turns out the 1.5" DOM I got from the tubing place 50 minutes away is actually 1-5/8" DOM....who thought that was a thing, let alone a shop that stocks it :mad3: I found a piece of 1.5" scrap laying around and was able to use that. My neighbor (who is also building a 4800 car if anyone wants to see pics of that) spotted me a 1.5" piece to do the hoop crossmember gussets to mount the donkey dicks (bypass reservoirs). I had to take a break on Wednesday to replace the 120v to 24v transformer on my HVAC. HVAC has been out since Friday and its been 55 degrees in the house....but the shop was nice and toasty :grinpimp: I had everything lined up to have all engine accessories on this weekend including the Goat Built PS pump and alternator bracket but the alternator I got off amazon "used like new condition" sounded like nails on a chalk board when I spun it. So back to amazon it goes and have to wait on a new one. I have not had very good luck at all on used auto parts from Amazon.

I replaced the stock truck oil pan on the engine with the one from summit in the link below. I was going to go with a $600 tilden pan but at less than half the price I couldn't pass it up. Quality is not the best but for what it is I cant complain. Sprung baffle doors and aluminum oil filter adapter. I am going to open up the 1/4" NPT pressure gauge tap to 3/8" NPT for an accumulator. The stamped holes in the pan didn't quite align up with the oil filter adapter so I opened them up so the transition was nice a smooth. However, when I put the pan on the engine to bolt up, I realized I wallowed the holes out to big to hit the oil pan rubber seal for the oil gallies. I applied a liberal amount of RTV to make up the difference so hoping it works but only time will tell I guess.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3612-k

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I have the CJ/YJ chassis and mounted my radiator low like yours. Lots of room on the width. Maybe they make the TJ frame narrower? I used a Griffin CU-58241-xls recommended by them.

That’s weird because I have the same radiator except with AN fittings. Did you have them weld on the aluminum mount pucks? Because that’s where I mainly had to notch. Also if I’m looking straight down from above, the upper rails are leaned in a good mount more than the lowers so that may be new. I would think the CJ/YJ chassis would be the same but I’m sure they are always tweaking stuff to make a better product.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Bought mine from summit so no pucks. Made mounts to sandwich top and bottom. Yes the top frame rails are narrower than the lower.

So that was my issue. Because if that puck was about 3-4” higher up (like right under the middle weld seam) I wouldn’t have an issue. Just one of those small things that nobody is gonna catch until you finally get to that point in the build, no harm no foul. I’m using shoulder bolts and brackets to mount mine. So the shoulder bolts can tighten up snug on the mount puck and the rubber spacer and tab can freely move/flex on the shoulder portion ever so slightly to hopefully avoid cracking it.

·
Vendor
1,367 Posts
Very cool build. I've left the metal shop only to get home to find the wrong stuff as well but it's only like 20 mins for me so it sucks but not as bad as it is for you. The 1 5/8" DOM is very popular in the drag racing world.

Keep it up it's going to be a sweet rig for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Very cool build. I've left the metal shop only to get home to find the wrong stuff as well but it's only like 20 mins for me so it sucks but not as bad as it is for you. The 1 5/8" DOM is very popular in the drag racing world.

Keep it up it's going to be a sweet rig for sure.

I’ll find a use for use somewhere and then it’ll have drag racing tubing on it haha but thanks man

·
Registered
215 Posts
Would you recommend the oil pan? I was about to pull the trigger on ordering the Champ pan but damn it’s a bunch of money. This one looks like it could be decent but I see that there are a few issues than need to be addressed. Would you do it again? By the way, sweet build!!

81 - 100 of 138 Posts