Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Would you recommend the oil pan? I was about to pull the trigger on ordering the Champ pan but damn it’s a bunch of money. This one looks like it could be decent but I see that there are a few issues than need to be addressed. Would you do it again? By the way, sweet build!!

Thanks! And yeah I would buy it again, just be more careful cleaning up the oil passage holes. I don’t like having to do unnecessary work to new parts but if it saves me $300 I’ll do it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Update with pictures from the weekend. Got crossmember plate installed with removable bolt access on the ends. I had to adapt a LS car tensioner to my truck accessories to get the belt away from the radiator AN fitting. It was kinda cantilevered out there so I make a support bracket for it. Finished up notching the frame for the lower radiator mounts and finished those up as well. A lot of little things came together this weekend.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
The front end is getting buttoned up. Had to get creative with the radiator hoses but hopefully they will bleed all air out eventually. I made the winch suck down out of a rigging clevis and I found some cheap 2” aluminum light bar clamps on amazon that worked great for clamping on the link to hold my brake line and drill out on either side of brake line for the hydro steer lines.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Is your neighbor's chassis custom or bought?

Build looks good so far..

He got it from a buddy that did most of the main tube work then he finished up the left over odds and ends. I believe he said it’s based on a Jimmy’s chassis

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Exhaust tacked up and made a little support for the intake tube. Passenger side header outlet is a little close to the starter but it’ll do.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
that will be fun changing the starter....good thing its not gonna get hot or anything like that, so it will last for while :laughing::laughing::laughing:

cool fabwork
I'm gonna wrap the exhaust but we will just have to wait and see how much heat the starter will take :D probably look for a smaller one eventually

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Re-did the drivetrain crossmembers since I got the atlas and new adapter and moved the rear swaybar to the rear bumper instead of the tube in front of the rear axle

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Exhaust checked off the list! Hopefully the muffler won’t get into the floor to bad but seemed to be a decent place to put it

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Put a section of flex pipe in the crossover tube under the oil pan. The exhaust needs to expand and contract as it heats and cools and without any flex you're going to experience cracks or loose hardware.

Build looks good!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You've got two or three photos which show the relationship between the starter, and the exhaust pipes.

Firstly, your workmanship is far better than anything I could attempt. Your skills far and beyond exceed anything I can accomplish.

That typed, it really looks like you've got to pull the pipes from both manifolds in order to replace a starter. Kind of a PITA for an automatic transmission equipped rig. I'd swap out that 'big' starter for one of the 'mini' starters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Lookin really good!

Thanks!

Put a section of flex pipe in the crossover tube under the oil pan. The exhaust needs to expand and contract as it heats and cools and without any flex you're going to experience cracks or loose hardware.

Build looks good!
I appreciate the tip! I might throw one in there when I take everything back apart.

You've got two or three photos which show the relationship between the starter, and the exhaust pipes.

Firstly, your workmanship is far better than anything I could attempt. Your skills far and beyond exceed anything I can accomplish.

That typed, it really looks like you've got to pull the pipes from both manifolds in order to replace a starter. Kind of a PITA for an automatic transmission equipped rig. I'd swap out that 'big' starter for one of the 'mini' starters.

You’re concern is going to make me pull the starter tonight just to see how bad it is :laughing: but a mini starter is on the parts list.

Awesome build and fab work, those shock hoops are money! Have you tried test fitting a tub on there yet?

Thanks man! Not yet. Plan is to do driveshafts and rear shock mounts then throw the body on there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Ready for a rolling chassis once I get the beadlock hardware from dirty life race wheels. All 4 wheels came with only 4 bolts and was told to take it up with the retailer when I got up with them about it...other than that it’s been chugging along pretty well.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts