Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A high percentage of consumable wear is done at the pierce event. To combat this we use a wiggle and a ramp pierce. Wiggle length here is .120 and the X axis will wiggle back and forth .120 to allow the molten material to flow away from the consumable. This allows us to cut and pierce at the severance thickness rated for virtually any plasma cutter. The option is available for you in our sheetcam software when your setting up your tools for amperage and material type. This greatly...greatly increases your consumable life.

Here is a quick video showing a pierce. (sorry it is very short)

Bulltear CNC plasma Wiggle pierce Hypertherm 105 - YouTube

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Wiggle video will save your eyes! :flipoff2:

I'll have to try that out. Are you piercing at a higher than normal height for a wiggle pierce?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes details please. is this a G-Code thing, part of the drawing, a certain setting in Mach3 or Sheetcam?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yes details please. is this a G-Code thing, part of the drawing, a certain setting in Mach3 or Sheetcam?
It's in Sheetcam. In the tool properties, there is a selection for "leadin type": Normal, Wiggle, or Ramp.

That's all I know, since I haven't tried it....I'll wait for MC to give details before messing something up. :D

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiggle video will save your eyes! :flipoff2:

I'll have to try that out. Are you piercing at a higher than normal height for a wiggle pierce?
No extra height but this pierce is about .230 above the material.

It is a G-code thing that Sheetcam will produce. The code is pretty simple though maybe something like this

G1 X.06F25.
X-.06
X.06
X-.06
X.06
X-.06

Sheetcam does the math so it will do this move until your pierce delay is done so a pierce delay of 2 seconds will wiggle the X axis or Y axis for 2 seconds.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I'll post a video of wiggle Pierce also.
Just cut 3/4 with my powermax65 using wiggle Pierce yesterday. 40 pierces and the consumables look basically new.
This was the third time I've done it, works great

Sent from my droid razr maxx using tapatalk2

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Taco no video came up. 40 pierces and no wear on the consumables is very good. Let us know when they finally do let go.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
MC
Were the controls for this candcnc. I spoke with him the other day and he mentioned a wiggle pierce. My question is does his THC know when its pierced the plate? I thought I read in his site there is an option to sense a spike in volts or something once it has completed the pierce. If so how does that affect the code that is written for the wiggle?

Does it wiggle in one axis or two? I would think you would want all your lead ins parallel to the gantry

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Killer info. Bout to fire mine up this week finally!!! Its only been since March. Sure wish I would have bought a Bulltear kit! :p

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MC
Were the controls for this candcnc. I spoke with him the other day and he mentioned a wiggle pierce. My question is does his THC know when its pierced the plate? I thought I read in his site there is an option to sense a spike in volts or something once it has completed the pierce. If so how does that affect the code that is written for the wiggle?

Does it wiggle in one axis or two? I would think you would want all your lead ins parallel to the gantry

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Definately CandCNC they are some of the best electronics for plasma available with the most options for the operator...period.:smokin: THC delay comes into play when the wiggle event is taking place. The wiggle is in one axis there is also a seperate pierce I will shoot a video of and that pierce is called a ramp pierce. Both are essential to piercing thick materials if you want your consumables to last a long time.

Here is a quick timeline of the plasma process with a wiggle pierce

1. Z axis lower to touch off
2. Z axis raise after touch off
3. Torch fires and wiggle pierce starts (THC delay starts)
4. Wiggle pierce finished and Z axis lowers to cut height (THC delay still active)
5. Torch following cut path (THC delay ends and THC takes over cut height according to tip volt number)

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Killer info. Bout to fire mine up this week finally!!! Its only been since March. Sure wish I would have bought a Bulltear kit! :p
Hey good luck man! If you need any advice when your up and running send a hollar. Once your up and running the world is yours. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
i guess my question is, does Toms software know when it has pierced? lets say it only takes one second to pierce and i set it two, will it start motion after it has pierced even though the delay time has not been meet?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
No, sheetcam/mach3 doesnt sense that, at least that I know of. I just drop pierce time down by about 25% from standard pierce delay and it works fine. For instance, in the video above its a 1.25 second pierce delay whereas the profile for the material I had for stationary pierce was supposed to be a 2 second delay. In mine, I think I should have been at about 1.5 seconds as it was just barely completing the pierce when lead in movement started out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
so does Mach3 use the OK to Move signal from my plasma? or is it always a time delay? Wondering Because i'm starting a new plasma build using Mach3.

all of the features look great, this wiggle peircing is awesome! but i like the way my torchmate uses the ok to move signal to start the movement of the table

At least I think I do. because as i type this i am actually not sure this is how it works. haha

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes it does and it gives you the option to ignore the OK to move or what is called ARC OK in Mach. This gives you total freedom to use your machine for any application..torch cutting, welding, ABS plastic prototyping, scribing, milling, routing..ect.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Is this beneficial mostly for the thicker stuff Matt? Like 5/16" and up?

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes but even for a 30amp plasma at 1/4" it would help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
old thread I know but I am looking to pierce and cut 1.75 inch A36 plate with a Hypertherm 1650 with duramax torch upgrade. It's a custom table running CandCNC electronics.

I have little to no scrap to test on. so looking for a bit of input before I start

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is very very doubtful you would need a pierce time of like 15-20 seconds and wiggle of 1/2" and even then you would be travelling 2-3IPM. I dont think your consumables would last very long. You can stretch things but 1.75" material is just a huge heat sink. You need somewhere in the realm of 250amps+

1 - 20 of 21 Posts