Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my M-38 build if anyone gives a crap. I basicly tore my cheap ass crawler/trail rig flatty down and did a lil better job of building a cheap ass flatty. I built a new frame to near stock designs, just stretched it a lil bit here and there to get some more wheelbase and room for drivelines. The frame is 2x3 box .120 wall, and the cage is 1.75 .120 DOM. I used 1x2 ,120 wall on the underside of the tub to replace the cracked and broken stock hat channel. I'm not a professional welder so I dont wanna hear any bitchin about the welds. They are plenty strong.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of the work on the underside of the tub, and a look at my front shock mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pimp ass shock mount. Your welds look just fine: good width, concave, and you pulled some V's in your bead instead of the semi-circular C's... which typically means good penetration (hot weld).

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Keep the pics coming but turn um right side up!

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i'm a fawktard when it comes to these computers, my wife had to show me how to rotate the pics today. Here's some pics of the front spring hanger and the 14 guage fuel tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt make it a unibody, but i did integrate the cage ande the body's sub-structure together to save some room. The cage will not tie to the frame up front, except through the body, but it will have the main hoop and rear points tied to the frame via the rear shock mounts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok now I understand what you have done on the body. Your rig looks like its going to be nice. What are you thinking for your drivetrain?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here's a few pics of the drivetrain combo and the radiator mount

Attachments

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone got a locker reccomendation for the front 60. I know that if I dont go to a selectable locker i will run a full detroit. I been thinkin about an Eaton E locker, but not sure about their durability and customer service on parts. I did a search on the E locker, but only came up with stuff from back in 05 and 06, and most was about the detroit electrac, which i understand is a POS. Pretty much i've narrowed it down to the detroit locker or the E locker. Whats ya'll good and bad on em?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gimme a day or two, i'm workin midnights and dont get much of a chance to go out and mess w/it. For the motor mounts, i used the early chevy style poly mounts from energy suspension, and in the rear i just fabbed up a crossmember to fit a 2wd chevy th350 mount to the t-case. Pretty easy stuff once you have the parts in front of you to look at.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Good to see you finally posting up your M38 on here. Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the shackle mount/housing and the front shackle. Also note the huge booger blob of filler weld to make the frame look smooth once ground smooth

Attachments

1 - 20 of 74 Posts