Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering would D44 front and rear will be almost bombproof? The front would have HPD44 with CTM and Alloy Shafts and Rear will have a Rubi D44 with Alloy Shafts. Or will I need a 1550 SunRay Axle? or 609 SunRay? Most likely, I am going to put a Motor swap in my Jeep. A RamJet350 might be possible after college.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I think the longevity of any part depends on the driver and weight of the rig. You might be okay if you take it easy on the stoopid pedal, but with the motor swap you might be pushing it especially if you're heavy on the throttle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It's pushing it for a d44, My friend ran d44's with 38's with ctm's and cromo shafts for years did fine, even with a strong 350 pushing it. On the same note though I've broken stock shafts in the snow with 35's.
So a big part of it is how you drive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That sounds like all the right parts to make a 44 as strong as possible. I think it would be fine. However if your going to be hard on it (lots of throttle lots of wheel hop) then it will break but most anything will given those conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I have been running 39" Iroks on my D44 for 7 months now without an issue. The Warn hubs have been my fuse which is a good thing. I run 4340s, CTMs and a Detroit. I have been known to get on the throttle but only have a 4.0.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The front 44 will be fine as long as you outfit it with some chromo axles (I got mine from foothills for about 500), and I'm running a 3/4 ton hp44. I broke my hp44 the first time I took it out wheeling..(on 37 irokz). So its really about your driving ability. I would personally just go ahead and put a 60 in the rear and chromo the 44 in the front, and you'll be good to go, for now. Good luck

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
2 Weeks ago I would have said you're waisting your money on ANY 44, no matter the shafts with 37" tires. Last week on a run to Barnwell Rec in TX my friend in and oversized TJ with a 4.6L Vortec from Golen and 37" IROKs locked abused the HELL out of his axles and the only think that cracked was my "Im an idiot, you were right" smile...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just for comparison, I'm running 36" Iroks on Rubi 44s with chromo shafts front and rear. It's on been a couple of runs, but I also have a pretty light foot, but we run some more difficult trails around so we'll see soon enough. First real test will be in Clayton in October.

·
Registered
416 Posts
kris1351 said:
I have been running 39" Iroks on my D44 for 7 months now without an issue. The Warn hubs have been my fuse which is a good thing. I run 4340s, CTMs and a Detroit. I have been known to get on the throttle but only have a 4.0.
Same here, the rear 44 will be the problem even with alloys, stick something back there with a bigger ring and pinon and 35 splines.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
kris1351 said:
Same results for me. 39.5 Iroks for ~2 yrs with only 1 broken hub

·
Registered
92 Posts
its nice to hear all these good things about the front 44. although im a little nervous evrytime i go out. ive been keeping the arb unlocked. i have a custom dana44 with hp rockcrusher center section.ive broken 2 outer stubs and one inner chromoly axle. i did find that the axles i got were a low grade moly and i now have the good 4340 ones with ctms in them.im running 37"mtrs. i can say that when they broke i was to the floor on steep hills.i dont think i could ever brake it when im rockcrawling though.depends on what you are doing

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would upgrade top something stronger. I upgraded my 44 with ctm's and warn shafts, running 38'' boggers the axles and ctm's held up but the detroit didn't twice. That was after 2 or 3 sets of hubs. I would rather break something cheaper then a detroit.:shaking:

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I have spun the spline on one stub shaft, busted an axle seal and busted one Warn hub this year. That was all in the same trail where I was full throttle and the front was in the air and suddenly went hunder the obstacle I was trying to get over. One of those final trail, final day things in Hot Springs. :) The 8.8 in the rear has held up extremely well with stocks and I recently upgraded to Alloys back there also. Over time it is going to wear out and begin to break, but everything will eventually break no matter what you have. I am pretty happy, but am already looking at going 60s in my rig.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
A friend of mine ran D44s last season with a 350 and 36s. The rear was an XJ 44 with stock shafts and a detroit and never broke. The front was a shortened GM 44 with a detroit and alloy shafts, it broke every trip out. Even if he was easy on it. Mostly alloy shafts/joints, but he also broke a full-case detroit.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
My buddy busted a detroit, & hub with 37 Krawlers on his YJ out in Moab. The CTM's and Superiors held up fine. (HP D44)

I have broke both side gears in the Detroit, twisted Warn outers, blown out hubs, and busted knuckles with 38" SX's on a 3300# rig with a 4.3. FWIW.

Like H8 was saying years ago, ditch the hubs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That POS stock Rubi air locker will NOT hold up the 37;s.. those weak ass things are notorious for stripping out the gears in the limited slip portion of the locker which basically fubars the whole thing

IF you put in a Super 44 kit with the 33 spline axles and an arb or detroit, you should be fine

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would say not a rubi 44 but maybe scott or gm 44. The rubi has a really small inner c's and wall thickness is nothing more than a dana 30..

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It all depends on how you drive.

I ran a set of dana 44s with 36sx and a 360 and I wasnt nice to them. The rear never broke,(bent the housing) The front only started breaking shafts when I went to 134:1.

I switched to a 14 bolt rear and 4340s and ctms in the front when I went to 38s. I broke a stub on fordyce not to long ago. If you go chromo axles in a 44, go warn or dont do it at all. The yukons are hit or miss on quality.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I got an advertisement in my email this morning from 4WP. They're selling Dana 44s for what seems like a decent price, but you have to reuse the stock knuckles from your 30. Is this a huge issue to anybody else?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I was just curious :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts