Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buggy will weight around 4 k close to 400hp 406 sbc 700r4 5to 1 stak case heavy skiny pedal just need some mog axle people to help me out here thanks for any help roc

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would use rockwells or a planetary axle. Those tires are a bit big for mogs or portals. Will it work?........yeah, but the weak link is going to be the outer box. I saw a buggy with portals shear the bolts in the box with 42's. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Jason berger's old 416/9 axles in his old buggy were nasty. Don Taradon built them and they held up great to his heavy foot. He ran 40-42's and he never worked on them ever except to replace the thin housing with thicker ones from alot of jumping during the xrra series. To be honest I don't know how they would do, but if you are up for the build I would say those with 44 would have 20ish under the diff, or go u1300's.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i already have the 416s and some 1600 xl s and some 5 ton beadlocks recentered ill probbly try a 44-46 later once this thing moves under power roc

·
Registered
803 Posts
"what portals? 404s? U1300 ran 48+ tires stock, survive wars carrying and towing 10-30 thousand pounds"

Ummm yeah with little itty bitty no horsepower motors.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It always cracks me up when people pull out the horsepower card.

by that same logic a rockwell duece and a half would only be good for 160 horse hercules motor and a 5 ton would only be good for a 240 horse cummins motor.

buggy weighs 4000#. axles originally rated for a 7 ton GVRW. you could throw a lot more than 500 horsepower at those axles at 4000# with lots of tire and not break them.

That being said the weak point in the Mogs is definately the box end. 416's are a dramatic improvement over the 404's.

they do their job incredibly well considering its probably a 20+ year old axle subjected to demonic abuse that only the lowliest 17 year old truck driver from a under-funded, under-trained third world army can muster while trying to impress the other guys in his camp with his personal re-enactment of burt reynolds in "cannonball run".

they are just a bitch to fit in tight spaces. if you can handle that then run the hell out of them because any portal is better than no portal (exception for 404's)

flame on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow how do 404's get such a bad rap? I havent had any probs other than normal maintenance bearings, seals, checking for loose bolts etc... 3rd set of49 iroks and a 4.3 Vortec ever since 49's came out. Are most people using tweaked V8's to damage these axles? Its just amazing I get some people in person asking what kind of axles they are then after I tell them they say oh those are weak... WTF entitles people to their opinions. When they can not even identify the subject in person. :confused: I love them but after hearing people rag on them I wonder how many times the old story has been regurgitated untell everyone thinks its common to break a portal. [rant off] Sorry for hijacking.

Rockyw I believe driving is all the diffrence. I wouldnt say I drive cautiously. I rarely ever back down. I let the axles hop I use fwd for trail riding, I'll front dig on the rocks without remorse. I guess my little v6 is the key to the equation so maybe there is something to the horsepower card??? Id throw another 100hp at my rig without worry. So Id tend to think 416's could handle what you want to do. I cant say I agree with the 54's but hey its your money, Id buy 2 sets of cheaper, smaller tires for diffrent occasions if it were me. I <3 lateral traction. :D Flame suit > Haters :flipoff2:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wow how do 404's get such a bad rap? I havent had any probs other than normal maintenance bearings, seals, checking for loose bolts etc... 3rd set of49 iroks and a 4.3 Vortec ever since 49's came out. Are most people using tweaked V8's to damage these axles? Its just amazing I get some people in person asking what kind of axles they are then after I tell them they say oh those are weak... WTF entitles people to their opinions. When they can not even identify the subject in person. :confused: I love them but after hearing people rag on them I wonder how many times the old story has been regurgitated untell everyone thinks its common to break a portal. [rant off] Sorry for hijacking.

Rockyw I believe driving is all the diffrence. I wouldnt say I drive cautiously. I rarely ever back down. I let the axles hop I use fwd for trail riding, I'll front dig on the rocks without remorse. I guess my little v6 is the key to the equation so maybe there is something to the horsepower card??? Id throw another 100hp at my rig without worry. So Id tend to think 416's could handle what you want to do. I cant say I agree with the 54's but hey its your money, Id buy 2 sets of cheaper, smaller tires for diffrent occasions if it were me. I <3 lateral traction. :D Flame suit > Haters :flipoff2:
Not a hater. I like mogs and portals. I just think a 54" tire is a little big for that axle.

Freedom of speech entitles people to their opinions. I think you are one of those that can't handle opinions. Thats my opinion :flipoff2:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've abused the hell out of my 416's with 47's, 600HP on a 6200lb buggy...The 416's are generally considered equivalent to a 4 ton rating. Comparing the 404 to a 416 is like comparing a dana 44 to a rockwell. I say go for it. I might be doing the same thing next year. Goodluck

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thats my opinion :flipoff2:
Based on what though? If it's on no real world experience
with you or someone you know, it's a pretty worthless opinion.
If you got pics of busted up 406/416/409's, post em up. :flipoff2:

I've yet to break my 404's with an honest 250 HP 400, 6500+ lbs,
42's and fairly aggressive driving. 406's ain't 404's.

Mog 406 brake rotor left, 351W flex plate right.........

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I've lost track, but what portals are we talking about here? The title says 416's but everyone is talking shit about 404's. I can talk shit all day long about my old 404's but since the title says 416 I will say this. I have owned 404s and seen 416's and there is no comparison. Like someone said above, it's like d44 vs. rockwell.

That being said, no one take my rockwells away. :)

J. J.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was only stating that the smaller 404's I have hold up well so the same should be true of the larger 416's. I diddnt mean to hijack. Back to Rockys question, Do you think they'll handle 400HP and 54's?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think the 416's would hold up, but then you have 3.5 ft of clearance under the diff and no uptravel, pretty much have to build around the axle tire combo, but if you dont need uptravel or can build it into that tire axle combo go for it. Having ground clearance under the diff isnt bad eaither though :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
406/416 (Drum), 409/419 (Dics) portals are extremely strong and well built axels. They came on trucks with large tires often times having some type of implement attachment. They are rated to be able to handle lots of weight and forces applied so putting them in a truck or buggy weighing 2 to 3 times less puts a lot less stress on them than they were originally designed to handle.

I have a crew cab Chevy mud truck that I am sticking one of my sets of 419’s under with 54’s, a stroked, full roller, fuel injected 496 BBC and I’m not worried one bet they will hold up..

-Ben

·
Registered
67 Posts
jst1818s,

I have a couple of sets...........One set with brakes, one with out.... Pinion conversions and all... If your interested, PM me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to fit them on my project vehicle. The offset of the front is wrong. I heard both that you can and cannot swap the ends and make it work. That it make it work I would have to cut the end and re-weld. Any info. on a 404 or 419?

How much are u asking with the brakes(disc)? You still located on the west coast?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts