Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pump water/antifreeze that is. and also, any idea how many amps an electric fuel pump draws under load?

thanks

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Why are you trying to pump coolant?

There are two different designs of electric fuel pumps.

The cheap nasty one are a electromagnetic diaphragm pump, they suck and stay away from them. The best ones are rotary vane and kick ass on the diaphragm ones.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Checker, Shucks, Kragen, O'Riley (all the same I think depending on where you are in the country) has the cheap ones for around $20. They're noisy little bastards. A Holley is gonna run around $120. They're geared, quite, and run 'til hell freezes.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im making a 12V powered water to air heater system for camping.

my idea is to have a heat exchanger to put on top of a coleman stove, that coolant is pumped through into another heat exchanger inside the tent. the one inside the tent i want to have a small fan behind it that i can turn on and off to push air through.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks bob ill check that out. would you say that in general my idea is sound or will the setup draw too many amps for a yellow top to last through a night? i am not worried about the stove since it is a propane one that i run with a big bottle anyways.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
erich_in_AZ said:
I can't comment on the first item...it actually looks kind of interesting...but as for the black cats...while they are good for a real small area they could not heat a tent...they could possibly take the nip off but could not heat it...also they go through the propane like no other...prolly about 3-4 bottles through the night...plus when dealing with propane heaters like that you have to worry about lack of oxygen in enclosed areas like tents...I had a couple firends die two years ago by using a black cat in their camper...the box says great for tent use...well I guess its not too great:skull: :( I like your idea 9V...look in JC Whitney...they usually have pumps for RVs that would work great for what you want to do and pretty cheap too...

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Supergper said:

I can't comment on the first item...it actually looks kind of interesting...but as for the black cats...while they are good for a real small area they could not heat a tent...they could possibly take the nip off but could not heat it...also they go through the propane like no other...prolly about 3-4 bottles through the night...plus when dealing with propane heaters like that you have to worry about lack of oxygen in enclosed areas like tents...I had a couple firends die two years ago by using a black cat in their camper...the box says great for tent use...well I guess its not too great:skull: :( I like your idea 9V...look in JC Whitney...they usually have pumps for RVs that would work great for what you want to do and pretty cheap too...
It says with the blackcat that you need to leave a minimum of 6 square inches of vent (that is'nt very much). Did they have the camper sealed up? I can't imagine a company like coleman is running around selling heaters that will kill you when used correctly. Can you image the lawsuits they'd have?

:confused:

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
why not use the same one that you are using for your rig. That way you always have a spare in case you need one??? that is... if you are already using an external pump.

Nate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts