Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just finishing up my D44 solid axle swap and my castor is off a bit,(the pinion tilts up toward the t-case, giving me a slightly better pinion angle), but not too much.
I know this will cause it to handle bad on the road but will it cause excessive tire wear??? The truck is not my daily driver and doesnt see the highway much anymore.
If it dosnt cause too much tire wear i wont worry about it but if it does i will get some steel shims to correct it.
what do ya think?

·
Registered
318 Posts
My pinion points a tit bit toward the t-case. The handling is really light on the freeway and my rig is my daily driver. I commute 40mi every day to and from class.

My spring perches are about parallel with the stock ones so I get the feeling that the pinion on the waggys used to point a little toward the t-case. I'm also running about a 4deg shim that is pointing the pinion back towards the ground to help the tie rod clear the springs before I got my steering arm spacers.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
No......if you rotated the knuckles, thus the camber is the same so it should not change the way it drives either, if you did shims them the camber will change, thus causing tire wear and bad driving cararistics[sp]

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
If you have a lot of caster, then the sides of the tires get extra wear because the tires tilt from side to side as they are turned. It won't really affect highway wear though. And it doesn't sound like any of you have enough to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts