Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85' Yota with:

30 spline longfields
chromoly inner shafts
stock 22RE
Yucon 5.13 gears
after market rear shafts (but not chromoly)
front detroit
rear welded
currently on 35" boggers

I have four 39" boggers sitting in the shop that I really want to put on it, but I don't want to break my truck all the time. I think the front will be OK, but I am worried about the rear. I don't have a lead foot, but it ain't light. I wheel in Texas so some mud, trails, hills, and a little rock.

Thanks for the imput.

·
Registered
708 Posts
5.13 gears what axle are you running? i assume toyota 30, but haven't heard of 5.13 ratio ever offered:confused:

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Calcote said:
I have an 85' Yota with:

30 spline longfields
chromoly inner shafts
stock 22RE
Yucon 5.13 gears
front detroit
rear welded
currently on 35" boggers

I have four 39" boggers sitting in the shop that I really want to put on it, but I don't want to break my truck all the time. I think the front will be OK, but I am worried about the rear. I don't have a lead foot, but it ain't light. I wheel in Texas so some mud, trails, hills, and a little rock.

Thanks for the imput.
NOTHING is bullet proof, but it sounds like it's built well. People are running 42's on the 30 Spline Longs, so I say run it and you tell us!

·
Registered
102 Posts

you should be ok with it just go easy on the pedal while wheels arnt straight.

ive got a buddy with 44 boggers on a stock, WELDED toyota front axel and he hast busted it yet.
his back is also welded and stock axle.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
DD187 said:

ive got a buddy with 44 boggers on a stock, WELDED toyota front axel and he hast busted it yet.
Remind me not to go wheeling with your buddy.:eek:

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I would recommend going through the frontend if you just got it, make sure the bearings are all good and lubed and tight (just on the tight side of the specs). Knuckle bearings and wheel bearings. Start looking for spare hubs now. I never like boggers on a toyota, never could get them to clean out with a little 22RE pushin them.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
DD187 said:

Bull shit

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
DD187 said:
i'm gunna have to see a video of that wheeling. maybe it has not broken because the hubs have never been locked?

·
Registered
500 Posts
fenderbmxer86 said:
Bull shit
I'll have to agree with this one.

Unless like 300 sniper said, he forgets to lock the hubs.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
You will either break a ring and pinion or all the studs off your lockout. The front detroit will break anytime it gets shock loaded. I broke 2 in 6 weeks. So when you break something in the axle that creates a shock load, plan on a new detroit, or something better. The more pinion teeth the better.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
FarRunner said:
not necessarily.

go ahead and read that and then run the 5.71 that they claim aren't weak. you can do all the measuring you want to prove how strong they are but running them in the real world can prove a very different result.

·
Registered
500 Posts
300sniper said:
go ahead and read that and then run the 5.71 that they claim aren't weak. you can do all the measuring you want to prove how strong they are but running them in the real world can prove a very different result.
Yeah I see your point, but the ring gears are usually the ones to break, not the pinion.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Calcote said:
I have an 85' Yota with:

30 spline longfields
chromoly inner shafts
stock 22RE
Yucon 5.13 gears
front detroit
rear welded
currently on 35" boggers

Thanks for the imput.

Boggz are one of the heaviest tires out there, I would upgrade output shafts and carry an extra loaded 3rd before it even leaves the pavement, if you plan on running the 39's . IMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts