Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks for having me.
Let’s get to it. I have a 1990 K2500 GMC 8 lug regular cab truck. It’s a 5.7 with a sm465 trans. The frame is shot. So I found another truck to use for A frame swap. It’s a 1988 Chevy K2500 6 lug regular cab 5.7 with a sm465 also. So my question is are the frames the same. I want to strip the 1988 down to the frame and transfer everything from my 1990 to it. I’m going to do a complete restore on this truck. I want to keep it and 8 lug. So I hope the A-arm’s will fit. Everything should work but I’m worried about the frame being different. The motor and trans are shot in the 1988 and it has no box. Just the cab and drive train. Looking forward to the restoration. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The heavy half’s (the 6 lug 2500s are basically heavy halfs) to my knowledge have a 1500 frame with heavier brakes and a 14b semi float. So basically everything should fit fine, but the frame with be shorter under the cab and thinner in places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by shorter under the cab? I didn’t mention this but I’m going to use the 88 cab in place of my 90. The cab on the 88 is mint rust free. So I guess I just need to put my rear axle and front axle and a-arms under the 88. Plus motor, trans, transfer case. So basically I want to make the 1988 6 lug 2500 into a 8 lug 2500. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chiming in, not to Hijack.l, old4x4..,

I have a 90 3500 srw, will dually hubs fit up front? Or does the whole bearing/hub assembly need to change? I figured I need to change the rear end, as deeper wheels probably won't clear the brakes, thus also not sure if springs sit differently.

The Vin shows up as open chassis. Makes insuring it difficult, some won't cover, since anything could of been put on the frame.

I'd like to go duals, but keep same deep dish tire up front for spare.

454 downed to a 350, now a nv4500, Chevy version, 6.34 ratio :D, , on 4.12s, with pto and a hydraulic pump

Like to go with a dump box.

OP, I hope you're using a ff 8bolt, and not the cheezy semi 8bolt. If not, then I personally think you're just killing time and money. I've ran the 8 bolt cheesy, all it does is chew up a more expensive shaft.

Good

Bad

·
Registered
78 Posts
OP

As far as I know these truck are all identical if you only look at mount points on the frame except for the front diff. The mounts are different for the 1500/1500HD/2500 6 lug front diff then they are for the 2500/3500 diff. What I mean by the frame is bigger, if you look under the cab of a 1500, the frame rail under the cab is shorter and sticks down ~1 inch. On a 2500 it sticks out under the cab ~2-3 inches. The cab mounts are the same, the hight of the top of the frame rail is the same, but the frame sticks down a little lower to make a stronger frame rail. Also with the rear axles, you are better off with the 14b ff. If you don’t know much about it you can find a lot if you google it pretty quick. Search 14 bolt bible, a guy on pirate did a awesome job compiling the info.

Making it work

Do you have a 2wd or a 4wd? If it’s a 2wd then I I don’t know for sure but I think you can swap the hubs. If it’s a 4wd then I know you can just swap the unit bearing. As for the rear axle, you could just swap the hubs but it would make the rear REALLY wide. Best bet would be find a duly axle and swap it. Do a little searching first though and double check that duel rear trucks didn’t have a narrower frame/spring perch width first though. I think that was older trucks but I can’t remember for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both the trucks I have are 4X4 ones is a K 2500 8 lug and the other is a K2500 6 lug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wasnt sure if GM 4wd dually front hub will fit in a 4wd srw front knuckle,

Might have Knuckle caliper/rotor/clearance issues with brakes.

On rear axle, I was just wondering on axle length to reach ring assembly. I figured it'd be wider, but would either axle reach with that combo?

I don't have a donor to measure. Reason I'm asking. Im not jumping blindly. Thanks. Maybe this is too much research. Just load up and then carry 2 spares? Lol

All my trailer rims and spares are all 8 bolt. Anything fits everything, no matter how i hitch the truck and trailers. Very flexible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts