Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm going to stand in front of the firing line here and ask ANOTHER arb question. Most of the Co2 pressure regulators intended for welding use that I've seen only go up to 50- 60 psi. After reading for 2 hours in the search forums I still have not found anyone else besides MERV that only runs 50 psi in their air lockers. Some have said that it works, but only out of necessity (tank running low), but not all the time.
Only found one that says it makes horrendous noises when run that low.

So, what of it? Or was MERV pulling my leg?

I do realize that the ARB manual recommends between 85 and 100 psi.

Just have to find a definitive answer to this nagging question:confused:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Dude, welding regulators do not guage PSI , they guage CFM- Cubic Feet/Min.

I have never run ARB's myself, but 50psi?? I would think that is an awefull lot of pressure. Maybe I am wrong??

I know my Mog air lockers take ALOT less pressure than that to engage.

Sean

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
No less than 85, no more than 95 is ideal. Not enough pressure and you get bad engagement force on the locker...too much pressure and you blow seals.
I recommend a pressure switch to regulate the compressor and give you 120 psi for airing tires, etc. and then a dedicated regulator set to 90 psi just for the ARB solenoids.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
I doubt you could get an ARB to work properly or reliably at 50 PSI. I have seen them work at 60 PSI but it is generally accepted that those pressures are below what is required to properly actuate the locker.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I've actuated the locker on the bench with far below 25 psi--can't remember the psi. The spring that you must over come is not that heavy. I know that you can almost blow thru the line hard enough to engage the locker--especially w/o the spring:) As long as the teeth are new and not rounded any psi that pushes the coupler over should work. I've used my ARB many many times with an air tank with leaky seals when my hard lines had a leak and the psi would eventually go to zero. Thats about when the locker would go open...

Jason :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've been running 'em at 50 psi for about 6 months. No problems. And they will engage at about 40psi or so, so I'm being generous at 50 psi :flipoff2:

The locker is new, but that should not make any difference.

If the locker was relying on the PSI in the line to keep it engaged when under pressure, that would be a crock. especially as the locker will not unlock even after you release the PSI pressure until the wheel to wheel torque releases.

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
I run mine on 80 psi. I didn't want it really high where seals would be blowing, but I want it to engage when I need it. I know a few people who run 70 with no issues, but 50 would worry me a bit.

As for what keeps it engaged. Obviously the torque load when driving will keep it engaged..... but I imagine when you come to a resting point for a moment and the torque load is taken off the axles, then yes it is the air that keeps it locked in.
________
Vapir Oxygen With Rechargeable Battery

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Brutpwr said:
I've actuated the locker on the bench with far below 25 psi--can't remember the psi. The spring that you must over come is not that heavy. I know that you can almost blow thru the line hard enough to engage the locker--especially w/o the spring:) As long as the teeth are new and not rounded any psi that pushes the coupler over should work. I've used my ARB many many times with an air tank with leaky seals when my hard lines had a leak and the psi would eventually go to zero. Thats about when the locker would go open...

being the loser that i am, i know you can't blow with your mouth, you can only give out about 10PSI, the spring take about 20-30 to over come, but anyless then 75 and you will messup the locker

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
My practice -- and other folks here as well -- has proven that you *CAN* fully engage an ARB with less than the suggested pressure. Though good to know, for low-pressure emergencies, it begs the question -- why would you?

ARB suggests a range of operating pressures, and I adjust my regulator to fit within it. Why complicate it, and risk ruining an expensive part?

Randii

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I agree that with less than 75psi you run the risk of damaging the locker but I have used it many times to the point of unlockiing because of leaks etc and never heard a clunk or anything and the locker still looks and functions like new. I agree if the dogs start to round because of engagement/slippage issues from repeated low psi engagement you might have a problem. I have had the ARB since they were first available in this country and never had problems with the engagement dogs (have had many other problems with the ARB--but I still love it for what is is). If all I had was 25 psi of line pressure I would not hesitate to engage the locker if the locker was needed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts