Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im starting my new build and wondered if i could use my stock 74 fj-40 mastercylinder setup for my brakes. going to 1ton chevy axles. do they work or are they not enough.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Nope....go with rockstomper.com master and adapter..my Cruiser stops on a dime with 39's

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'm running a 89 supra master, single res with the stock booster. It stops fine with 1/2 rear chevies and one ton chevy fronts. Wilwood proportioning valve.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Good tip. Thanks. Just ordered. Sure beats the $$$$ of the ones from other Toyota FJ sites.

Ummmm...but I paid with paypal. Sorry, Charles...:confused:
I don't care that you used paypal. I won't use paypal. Let me know if you need to know the brake fitting part numbers. Scott should have them.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive got some willwood mastercylinders i could use but wanted to see if i could keep the stock application. looks pretty simple to make using a stock gm one. thanks for the link. if it looks like to much work ill just order one.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I tried the stock one. Didn't work.

I tried 2 wildwood ones, they worked "OK"

Then on this latest build I went with the Rockstomper kit. Worth every freaking penny let me tell you. I can lock up 39" boggers on dry pavement at any given time. Great pedal feel, very responsive.

Oh yeah, 3/4 GM disc setup front and rear of a 69 FJ40 with a full body.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chevy 60 front 14 bolt rear with 1/2ton chevy calipers. guess i should go with the rockstomper one

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
This is my setup on my FJ40. I am using a double diaphram brake booster from a disk brake FJ40. 350TBI, TH400 with 1100RPM stall torque convertor, Atlas 3.8 , 4.88 r/p gears and 42" tires.

Front axle: GM Dana 60 outers with 3/4 ton disk brakes (not the stock 1 ton calipers). I believe 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton use the same calipers.

Rear axle: Ford Motorsports disk brakes. This is what comes on Expeditions and Explorers with rear disk brakes.

I'm using a 1 1/8" bore GM master cylinder. Got it from Amazon.com
Raybestos MC39052 PG This should fit Corvettes (1982) with 4 wheel disk brakes. Cost was like 52.35 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-MC3..._1_1/104-4320367-4190305?ie=UTF8&s=automotive

I'm using Rockstomper's adapter to connect the master to a Toyota brake booster.
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/brakes/gmtoymaster.htm

Fitting part numbers. These are the screw in fittings you need to hook up this master cylinder. These fitting come with a short 3/6" brake tubing you'll just cut off and make some custom brake lines. You just want to use the fitting that screws into the master cylinder. You will need a double flaring tool and some 3/16" brake line tubing.

Napa 813-1158 $3.59
Napa 813-1155 $2.99

NOTE: If you're running a stock D60 front axle and a 14bolt rear, I'd recommend you go with 1 1/4" inch bore master cylinder that Scott at Rockstomper sells. You will need to push more fluid volume for the large 1 ton brakes.

*** IMPORTANT***
I had to reverse the master cylinder connections to make mine work. The rear port on the master cylinder (when mounted) goes to the front axle. This is backwards, but it was the only way it would work with my setup. Connecting it the correct way, the brake pedal would bottom out too early.

This is the best brake setup I have tried. I tried the original FJ40 master (disk brakes) and it did not push enough volume. I tried a 86.5 Supra 1" bore master cylinder. It worked okay, but it would bottom out if I pushed real hard on the brakes (still did not push enough fluid). I skipped the 1 1/16" T100 master cylinder because I didn't think that would make a difference. 1 1/8" bore is perfect for me. I'm using a proportioning valve for the rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks alot for the detailed info. this will help alot in setting up my brakes

i still have the huge stock front brakes. so im gonna go with the rockstomper master cylinder. going to run plastic brake line also. so should only need a few fittings.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
:laughing:
Maybe, you want to donate parts :p
Speaking of egg rolls, there is the most awesome chinese food place up here but their egg rolls make me cry :(
I'd donate parts if I had any that you needed. I heard your girlfriend complaining about your spring roll not having enough spring... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
585 Posts
rockstomper adapter plate to the stock toyota booster works great. about $100 for the 1ton chevy master cylinder and the adapter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts