Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys think that there will be snow on the rubicon in late april? i want to go on a trip over spring break and i was wondering if there will still be snow up there and if so how much?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
shit there realy won't be that much unless it snows again.im going up for spring break myself, last year realy wasnt that bad during spring break.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If it doesn't do much between now and the end of april then I would expect it to be wide open and you will have to look for snow. So I bet it will be no problem even if there is a little snow left the trail should be passable. This pictuer was taken mid May and I then went back 2 weeks latter and most all of the snow was gone! Rock sticking through most everywhere but in the trees it was another story.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I was sure it was the 14th or 15th of May? I will take your word 4 it though. So the 14th/15th was the trip I made back that 2 weeks latter and the snow was gone! At least in the open areas but in the trees it was a challenge 4 sure.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
cool, 2 guys cuddling in the snow to stay warm. at least you took 2 rigs. :rainbow: jiMMy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone been up there in the last week or so? How much snow at Loon and the Gerle Creek area? I don't want to trek all the way out Icehouse if the snow wheelin is shitty.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you do go remember that you can get a ticket if you go in through Loon since it is closed for the skiers to use so you might want to go through wentworth.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
1970cj5 said:
Anyone been up there in the last week or so?
Aggro just posted a report on Gen 4x4 from this last weekend. His assesment is to NOT GO until the trail is clear. It's melting fast and damage to the trail is gauranteed for the next few weeks.

Paul

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
nasvik said:

Aggro just posted a report on Gen 4x4 from this last weekend. His assesment is to NOT GO until the trail is clear. It's melting fast and damage to the trail is gauranteed for the next few weeks.

Paul
I deleted the post to reduce early season traffic. We did just do the whole trail- wentworth to the lookout atop cadillac. I definitely advise to stay out. It is melting and the creeks are really flowing and you will touch dirt/mud now if you go. Let it dry out!! Besides, I didn't remove any trees from big sliuce to top of cadillac and there are DOZENS down. We might want to get a work party to remove some. There is a jumble down in the springs that will likely take a day of cutting alone. It is right next to the fenced private property.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was more interested in where the snow line was further out Icehouse past the Loon turn-off out toward Airport Flat and Gerle. However - a buddy went up last weekend and reported that the snow was way up the road. Although - maybe this storm will dump some powder for me before I head up on Friday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let's see some pics of you and Jim last weekend.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
bill hillis said:
Let's see some pics of you and Jim last weekend.
Jim didn't go. He couldn't do the whole trail in the winter. :flipoff2: I think we got enough snow out of this storm that you won't even make it to the trail. Here's a pic of us at the lookout atop cadillac last weekend:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Aggro you are the craziest dude i know. No matter what line anyone takes in the summer, you did the whole damn thing in the snow. SKILZ my friend

how did you guys get back, you both trailer your shit, and your frends, tube cruzah is not verry streetable.
I am a little bumed, becasue of competing in calrocs, i did not get a chance to snow wheel my new rig, and still won't.

Ian-
COMPLAINE

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
KrustyKruiser said:
Aggro you are the craziest dude i know. No matter what line anyone takes in the summer, you did the whole damn thing in the snow. SKILZ my friend

how did you guys get back, you both trailer your shit, and your frends, tube cruzah is not verry streetable.
I am a little bumed, becasue of competing in calrocs, i did not get a chance to snow wheel my new rig, and still won't.

Ian-
COMPLAINE
Last weekend we drove the whole trail front to back and then turned around and did it backwards. (That's how we got back) I'm supposing my last comment will ring true about 70cj5 not making it to the trail unless he's got 40+" tires, lockers and a light weight rig. We went up thursday night to do some snowshoeing and ended up going wheeling also. There is a conservative 4 feet of fresh at ellis creek. Two was there before we got there, we got another foot on thursday night and another foot before we left on friday around noon- it was still DUMPING also!! Gnarly drifts too! A few times I got out of my rig and sunk to my NECK in the snow!! Cold storm, it was 25*F at ellis friday. Absolutely DRY powder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aggro said:

I'm supposing my last comment will ring true about 70cj5 not making it to the trail unless he's got 40+" tires, lockers and a light weight rig.
Light weight yes - 40+ no. 33's and open diffs.

Ended up hitting my friend's house in P'ville on Fri and it was snowing at 2000'. Since I was towing my rig we said fuck it and decided to stay warm and go for sushi.

Went to Iron Mountain instead. Only a 15 min drive from where I stayed and had 2' of fresh powder. Melting fast up there as I came out Sunday afternoon tho - so I wouldn't recommend it unless we get another good snow.

·
THE ROCK GODS
1,371 Posts
try a snowmobile

just there yesterday, over 5 feet of fresh snow on the Tahoe side.
by the way i used a snowmobile, before it snowed we could make it to the lookout from the Tahoe side, it was almost there, its at least a month away now.
Shawn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts