Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made a new TJ front bumper that is completely bolt on...

Has several options.......
Basic bumper
Add D-Rings
and add air fittings to use front bumper as an air tank. Fittings will allow air line to enter the bumper on one end and quick disconnect on the other end of the bumper for your air hose to fill tires.

It would come with grade 8 mounting bolts if you did not want to use the stock Torx head bolts and if you wanted to get rid of the stock bumper hooks.

This will also allow a warn winch plate to be bolted on. This also works with the power steering skid plate...........Both of these with out any modifications, just bolt it on and go:D

I made this one from 1/4 wall 2x4 box.

Unpainted

Painted

and from the side, you can see the air fitting for air into the bumper.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It looks like the air connection is in the way if anyone was to use the Currie anti-rock sway system. Other than that, it looks good and I bet you could sell them.

Chuck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah it will sell. I've had one on the front of the Gray Mare for about a year with a boner bar also mounted in it. People are always asking where I bought it and how much, to make one for them. Keep in mind that if you do sell them as an air container. that you will also have to have a pop-off valve, and a certification as to what pressure they will safely hold. The reason I don't sell mine is because of all the legal nonsense involved... Oh yeah, don't forget a drain valve at the bottom so that you air tank won't rust out!!! Hope this helps. You might think about just selling it as a bumper with a couple of fittings welded in each end... If folks decide to pump them up, then it's on them!

·
Registered
138 Posts
for a price just add it up

ok if you take the materials + (hours of work x desired wage) and you could come out with what it costs you in time and materials and dont forget tool maintenance and the such but after all that just add it up and post what you find on here and ask people if theyd be willing to pay what you want for it. more then likely even with all the hiddens you might want to add in it will still probly be cheaper and better then about 90% of the production competition. just my .02

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm sure you are doing this, but for all the other viewers... make sure and do all of this through an LLC (limited liability company). All you need is one moron who puts something together wrong after delivery, dies somehow, and the family files suit. Again, I'm sure you know that, especially in CA.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Meyer said:
I'm sure you are doing this, but for all the other viewers... make sure and do all of this through an LLC (limited liability company). All you need is one moron who puts something together wrong after delivery, dies somehow, and the family files suit. Again, I'm sure you know that, especially in CA.

Bah!

Don't believe a word he says. He thinks he's a CPA, but he just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i looked into product liability insurance for the bumpers i build. the minimum annual premium that i could get thru any company was $5000. that means i would have to pay $5000 every year for product liability insurance. too much!

so, i wondered what place like MORE, RE, Tomken, etc. do: they have a liability waiver on both their website and i think one comes with their product when shipped. some of my bumpers have receiver hitches and shackles mounts. if i build any more, i am going to put a bright orange tag on them that has to be removed by the buyer that says something like "not rated for pulling, use at your own risk." i've been told by a couple people to just plagarize a couple of liability waivers on the 'net into my own...but i would want to talk to a lawyer/attorney before doing anything like that.

i was selling my bumpers for $125 for a front, $175 for a rear, and $275 for a pair and making a really good profit on them. if you want to check them out, look here: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=325307 they are towards the bottom.

matt

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you chrome it you could sell a ton of them:flipoff2:

Good job though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd guess the price would have to stay under $200 to compete with other lower quality bumpers. Anyone who'd be buying a bumper for real hardcore use would probably fab one up and someone who's just buying it for their poser rig would just buy something cheaper if you charged more.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, I'd be careful about the liability issue in CA too. No waiver ever holds up in court if they can prove negligence, or any amount of fault. Being stupid is not a defense, in fact stupidity is generally insurable:D

Maybe an option to explore is to find a local 4x4 shop and let them market it under a house brand. That way, they can pay all the product liability insurance, but they will likely require you have some insurance too. Just depends on who's running the show.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you do sell them then take cash only. Prove it that it came from you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would not equip a bumper with that type of D-ring, I can't say for sure about the ones YOU use, but the majority of those are designed for static loads such as tying down something, not for shock loads such as a snatch strap. Also, they appear to be welded to the face of the bumper, which has also been pointed out to be a no-no. In addition, they do not allow for a method to attach a strap without hooks (and we all know about straps WITH hooks), so you would need to use an intermediary such as a shackle, so you might as well just install shackle mounts (welded on both sides of the bumper)and cut out the middle man.

-Jer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts