Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Cool. You have ALOT of work ahead of you. I am just about to get my 42 running with a SBC and on 38.5 SX's. If you have any buildup questions let me know since I have been through it with mine.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Looks like a great core, but have you given any thought to something other than the straight 6? You'll either have to push the firewall way back, or lenghten the hood and fenders? Just a thought.... Keep the firewall tag, looks cool.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Cool :D Gonn abe a bitch getting the 6 to fit, but give it a shot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anything is better than trying to fit a straight six in there. Good luck

Also, before you throw anything away, look around and see if there is a demand for it. Parts for the old heeps are getting scarce, and some of the stuff is worth some money.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
LAME said:
I found it to be more fun pissing off purists :D
off the topic sorry

LAME i just noticed your avatar is American head charge, you from MN??
badass band BTW!!

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
CJesse7 said:
off the topic sorry

LAME i just noticed your avatar is American head charge, you from MN??
badass band BTW!!
Yep. Seeing 'em play at First Ave on the 30th :D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'd suggest you look at how much time, metal fab & resources it'll take to make that I6 fit, then assign a dollar value to it. Better yet, ask folks like Brian who've done it before. I'd bet you can pull a 4.3 or similar shorter motor and drop it in for the same or even less money than the work, time & money needed for shoe-horning.

And to do it right, you'll be needing to strap/box the frame or easier yet, make your own. remember you'll be redoing pedals & steering too.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
agreed though you may have it doesnt mean its the best idea, though i like the 4.0, the tight engine compartment is a real nuisance. a friend of mine put a sb hemi into his cj3a and it was tight even witht eh SBC short water pump conversion. I would probably recoment either the 4.3, 350, a 283/302 or a nice fitting 225 dauntless, odd-fire. a little 225 with a t-18/98 would be a climbing sob with some serious low end grunt. just a thought but take it from someone who put a continental 226 in a '46 flattie, the firewall headaches arent worth it. works pretty well, firewall has to come back nearly 6 inches then bellhousing and shifter move back a fair strech too. takes alot of f-ing around there are easier things to stuff under a flattie hood.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
As others have said, seriously consider your engine options before you begin. My SBC with a short pump has about 3" between the radiator and pulley. This is with a notch in the firewall for the distributer and cutting the grill to fit the radiator tight up against it. If I would do it over I would probably put a built V6 in it. Also I would make a new frame instead of boxing and strapping the stock one.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Chopped a CJ7 frame down when I was about 14 to fit a MB tub and body I had picked up. With the 258, T150, D20 and the motor pushed as far forward as I could with an electric fan in front of the radiator I still only had a 12" rear drive shaft... I had to notch about 4-6" out of the fire wall. I just built the dash out about 2" or so to make it all look right, but that reduces precious knee and body space... When I drive the thing now 5'11" I am all scrunched up and look like a granny driver sitting up close to the steering wheel and windshield.

I think with your long drive train from the XJ you will find your rear out put will be at your axle. You need to go out and really measure and see what you have to work with. You probably will have to go with a different tranny and t-case.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
jay diemme said:
the only parts i am using are the hood ,cowl, grill and windshield

it'll fit fine
Thats all I used on mine, but I have the back cyls of the 4.3 even with my feet. It is lots of fucking around with the firewall, but I am glad I did it :D

[/img]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106343&stc=1[/img]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts