Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Great build you have going on! I will be following this with much interest. Great works so far. I agree with you and Mieser. Try to get as much belly clearance as possible. Spend the day and make a simple crossmember to support the transmission and transfer case. It will be time well spent. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bits of progress on the build:
Floor tacked in

Compressor and Components for Air Lockers

Drivers Side Header

Passenger Side Header

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm hung up and in need of suggestions on gas tanks.. I removed the stock tj tank with dimensions of 35Wx18Lx12H. Reason being the rear frame hangs out too far for my liking behind the body. I'm going to trim a few inches off the rear of the frame but after I do that the stock tank no longer will fit. Does anyone know of a tank that is not as long that I may be able to use? I know the easy thing to do would be to run a fuel cell in the bed of the jeep, however I'm going to be putting in a rear seat. I've seen a few RCI fuel tanks like this 15 gallon one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-2161a/overview/ for under $200 on ebay (dimensions: 30Lx9Wx12H) but I'm unsure of the consensus concerning the quality of these tanks for an off road rig? Should I be looking for one with foam? I think I could modify the gas tank skid to work with this tank, but I'd like some input before I make a purchase! Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
TJ Tank:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
You could build a tank. My tank was built out of 14ga sheet metal, and I used multi point fuel pickups. My tank is around page 10 in my build (I think).

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
How about moving the stock rear crossmember/body mount thing forward a few inches and reusing the stock Tj tank.

Or just cutting it out and making your own mounts that put the OEM tank where you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Or maybe look into a 15 gallon Yj tank. It should be smaller than the 19 gallon Tj tank you have..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Made a little more progress on the body work this week. It will be on to the hood stretch next.

I took the front Dana 30 Diff cover off today to check that that everything was in order and switch out the fluids. As it turns out when I purchased the Dana 30 I was told it had 4.56 gears..in reality it has 4.88 gearing..(39 ring teeth, 8 pinion teeth)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So I haven't updated the thread in awhile and figured I would post some updates on the flatfender build!
The front of the tub was stretched 4" and the side step was extended and reinforced as well.

The tub finished up as of today and ready to go onto the chassis.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I ordered up a JD2 Model 32 manual tube bender last week along with a 1.75" die set (5.5-180). The shipping cost on the thing was Insane! Luckily the Pirate4x4 discount offset the shipping cost :D Once that is delivered I'll get to work on building a stand for the bender and then set to work on the roll cage. (Still deciding on what design to go with)

My dad recently picked up a 1945 GPW after enjoying working on mine with me. Between building my cage and the one we are going to build for his flatty, along with some rock sliders and other various future projects we decided to split the cost and invest in a bender.

After towing home my dad's GPW we realized it is ironically suited to him. He was on the Army pistol team back in the day and shot with a Colt .45...His weimaraner pup's name is "Colt" and he now owns a 45 GPW which came with the custom license plate, "myold45"
How he bought it:

He snagged the 45 for a screaming deal considering everything that had been put into it..Chevy 350 that hasn't seen a single mile since it was built and dropped in, same story for the 700R4 transmission..and Atlas II Transfer case..as well as the Front and rear Dana 44's..and the 35"s, and pretty much every other part on it! Has original data plates, glove box, frame, 50 cal mount and a lot of other parts with Ford F scripts riddling the thing. The downside was the body, bondo everywhere covering up holes from rust.

We tore into it the night he got it home and stripped it down to its frame.

Since then the 45 has had parts welded on that were screwed on (the jeep was pretty much just mocked together..for ex. the transmission was bolted up but with no torque converter :shaking: shocks were added, steering buttoned up, the body sandblasted

patched with bondo

fixed up nicely for an offroad rig, driveshafts ordered and installed..He is setting his completion deadline for Moab EJS..
Picture as of this morning:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I like it a ton. Really like those rims. A hotrod feel
Thanks, and I agree with you..had that ratrod feel to it.
Hah your rim comment is comical though. My dad hates them for some reason? I can't figure it out, I think they look sweet on the 45!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Set the tub on the frame. It's mocked up with PVC pipe cut to 1.5" as that is the body lift I will be running. Any ideas on what to use for the actual body lift? I have thought about ordering up a tj body lift kit from somewhere like Morris 4x4, but if there is a cheaper option, or one that will allow me to cut the pucks to variable sizes, I'm all ears!

The only place I had to trim the transmission tunnel for clearance was for the transfer case.

How much room between the firewall and distributer is generally recommended? There is currently about 1" of room.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I was gifted my gauges for Christmas. I'll be using a GPS speedometer. All of the gauges fit nicely in the dash except for the speedometer, it will require some slight trimming.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Got a little bored this evening while working on adding some subframe support to the tub and decided to throw the windshield onto the GPW so I could start envisioning what roll cage I want to put on her.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
You are going to leave the belly pan low with the spacers?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Mieser, spacers are definitely going! But I'm up in the air still on if I'm going to ditch the belly pan for a tubing crossmember and then add a skid or just leave it there..

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
41 - 60 of 127 Posts