Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So I just got my blackout light for the front fender in the mail from Ron Fitzpatrick jeep parts up in Oregon..I started to assemble it and it seems like the inside of the bucket for the blackout light needs to be trimmed in order for the whole thing to pop together.

Has anyone else had any experience with these lights or needing to widen them up so it can be assembled into the bucket? Or is it supposed to be such a tight fit? Thanks in advance for any responses! I'd hate to be forceful when putting it together and ruin the thing:shaking:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had the same problem. I couldn't get it to close without putting it in a vice. I don't recall my exact fix without looking at it again, but I think just dremmeled down the machined bump on the inside of the ring. No need to widen anything. It closed easily after doing this.
If you post a good pic of the inside of the light and the ring I can tell you more accurately what I did. I don't have access to mine to check it.
It may have been the tab I dremmeled down

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I had the same problem. I couldn't get it to close without putting it in a vice. I don't recall my exact fix without looking at it again, but I think just dremmeled down the machined bump on the inside of the ring. No need to widen anything. It closed easily after doing this.
If you post a good pic of the inside of the light and the ring I can tell you more accurately what I did. I don't have access to mine to check it.
It may have been the tab I dremmeled down
Months later..but this worked for me, Thanks Glenn!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well school is out for the summer which means it's time to let my mind think about something other than school FINALLY:D I only have my Fall semester left to finish before I'll graduate with my Bachelors of Sciences.

Things that have been done to the build this past week:

I got a subframe for the floor of the tub built and welded together. I made it out of some simple rectangular tubing, and the floor of the tub no longer pops and flexes when weight is placed on it. This tubing also provided for a mounting location onto the frame for a third body mount located back towards the front of the rear tires.

I cut off the old TJ frame body mounts and welded them up in their new locations (In the pictures below you can see the front two mounts have been cut off and moved about 5 in. rearwards)

I also took a trip to the local J&G Jeep junkyard and picked up some TJ mounting hardware rather than cutting up boat rollers or hockey pucks. By welding in the TJ body mounts just slightly higher they were able to give me the 1.25" Body lift that I was needing.

*The body mounting hardware was just coated in surface rust (which made them cheaper to buy) but to anyone out there looking for a rust removal trick:
Soak the item in some apple cider vinegar overnight and the next morning the rust will be gone and you'll have a brand new part. I've also used a mix of molasses and water..With this you can fill up a huge rubbermaid container with the mixture and soak larger rusted items.

The front fenders were then cut to fit my frame. This took way longer than I had expected. I was going at them with a cutoff-wheel. In the end they fit, but while I was sitting their hacking at them I was dreaming of better tools for the job.

The hood fitment is way off so I'll need to drill out the mounting holes to make them wider so I can slide the thing more towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I've also been contemplating what tires I'll go to because these 33" all-terrains just won't do:D Although I do kind of like the look.

*This is the rear with my dad's 35" mocked up next to it

* I'm leaning more towards a set of 36" IROKS however. Here is a picture of one next to a 33" like the ones that are currently on my project.
[/PHP]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Awesome build! I have a new to me me CJ-2A and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about putting it on my '06 rubicon frame!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Awesome build! I have a new to me me CJ-2A and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about putting it on my '06 rubicon frame!
Hey thanks Casey! I've actually been silently watching your thread for the past few days. Definitely a cool rig! I like the windshields on those 2A's. Any word on how your tub came about those cj5 rear corners?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've narrowed my roll cage choices down to two options. Wondering what everyone thinks would be the best choice?

Option #1 Is a hoop design that Mykul on here did and I thought he killed it:smokin: ... I think it would be the easier option because of the narrow mounting area that I have to work with behind the rear tool boxes in the tub.

Option #2 I've seen quite a few guys with cages that are very similar on here. I like the looks of this cage, but feel like it's going to be a test of my measuring and bending abilities to get the A to C pillar to come down in the area behind the tool box that I will need it to..

·
Registered
109 Posts
The windshield is one of the things I want to change out! I love the MB split windows. I have no idea what's up with the tub, that's still one of the great mysteries of the jeep that I'm trying to figure out! My TJ and my old CJ-5 were both bone stock when I got them so it was easy to know what I was working with as I went, the Willys is going to take a while to figure out

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the practicality of option 1, but the looks of option 2. Being that I usually got for the more practical option, I would say 1.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Fitted my gauges to the dash. A few of the holes in the repro body needed to be opened up just a tad. A Dremel with a sanding band attachment worked really well for this. I'm excited for the GPS speedo, should make changing tires and gearing in the future just slightly less of an issue.

I'm also starting to think I should plate in the rear of the frame that is sticking out past the back of the body. My original thoughts were to chop off the extra frame and weld up a bumper from 2x4 steel as I have seen others do for their rear bumpers..But if I were to plate it in like in the pic below I'd be able to mount a high-lift jack or something off of it. What do you all think?

*I have that piece of sheet metal there for mock up purposes. If I choose to go this route I'll use thicker steel, as well as cut it to a more exact dimension.

Would love to hear what the opinions are out there..

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is nearly exactly what i am planning over the winter, great job. Sorry if i missed this in your text but one question (I know it will be different in CA) that i'm trying to figure out before I start:

if you are registering it, what are you doing with the title/registration/insurance for legality?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Trim it, give yourself a good departure angle. You can always mount a winch inside the tub with the fairlead bolted to tub...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks for the input on the rear of the frame everyone..I will trim it. Defbob is right, I suppose I could always mount a rear winch inside of the tub.

I wasn't satisfied with the look of the family style cage on my rig so I've decided to go with a classic look and build a simple cage. I think it will fit the jeep and look much better in the end.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Got tons done to the roll cage today. Went from a B hoop to where it is in the pictures below. The three main things that guided the building of the cage were:
1)Still being able to open and close the glove box
2)Still being able to open and close the rear toolboxes
3)Being able to open up the front windshield section (It has bracket arms that swing into the jeep cab)

A few more additions still need to be made on the cage to give added support and to allow for seat mounting, but the basic shape is completed. Finish welding will also have to take place.

It was the strangest thing, to pull the jeep into the rear yard of the house where our shop is and the outlet in the wall for the welder you have to turn the jeep 90 degrees to the left and make a turn into the rear yard. Not having the steering in the jeep set up, the way we do this is with two people, one on each side of the front axle, grabbing and turning the tire by hand. Rolling it into the rear yard this worked just fine. But when we went to roll it back into the garage the steering locked up and we weren't able to turn the tires from facing straight in order to make the 90 degree turn to push the jeep back into its garage. We took a jack and jacked the front axle off of the ground so the tires weren't in contact with the pavement and still couldn't get the tires to turn left or right. What would cause the steering to bind like this? Thoughts?

Here are the pics of the cage:

61 - 80 of 127 Posts