Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiyo! First post is always the scariest...

Here is my wooden mock-up for the winch bumper I'm building. Final material will be 1/4" steel. I wanna get the winch plate and fairlead mount fabricated by a shop as one piece with a bend to be extra solid. The mounting copies the RTE and other custom bumpers with the "3 bolt" setup.

Comments please!! I'm a noob and nothing says learning like a kick in the ass and some nasty comments!

~Ben

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah the rust is much cooked up in there.

I think the bumper can be a good design. I would however add protection for the whole front end. That's my thought. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Rust on a Rover? Unthinkable!

Seriously though, the frame is rock solid, rust is apparent along the weld and seams but everything holds up just fine. The body is in real bad shape which is why I've torn out 90% of it to replace it with new bits and pieces :D

The front end as a whole is getting redone. The plastic grille is gone and soon so will the tabs that held it up. I'd like to build a Defender style front for it but that's another story for another post. Once I work out this design and I'm comfortable with it, I'll work up either tubular or square sides to it and maybe some sort of brush guard. :p

~Ben

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
can't believe no one ripped you on the wood :flipoff2:
I wold cut back on the angle fore of the frame tips, seems like a lot of leverage for very little protection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda surprised myself actually... guess it's a good thing I didn't post pics of my first attempt from cardbodium alloy :D

I agree on the angle. Someone elsewhere gave me an idea from a bumper he built where he used a 45ish angle to mount a plate and eventually a skid plate. I'm looking into those ideas.

Hence the wood and not 1/4" steel :laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts