• 3/8 and 100' but wayy stronger

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what should I do. Where I wheel there is lots of trees,mud rocks. Basically everthing. I may need a long pull or the strenth.

BTW its goin on an 8274

Dan

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
are you talking about steel wire rope or nylon winch rope ?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think 150 ft of 5/16 comes on it, I'm assuming you're asking if you should go 3/8"?

The smaller stuff is easy to handle but if you tend to damage cable quickly you could go for 3/8 and get a synthetic extension if you need the length. You guys with the 8274's get spoiled with all that room for cable :flipoff2:

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
3/8ths will last a lot longer and is easier to handle because it doesn't kink if you look at it funny(like 5/16ths does)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sorry to jump this topic but...

Is synthetic worth the $$$$. It seems much more user friendly than the wire rope and light too, but does it last?

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
My Synthetic has lasted well so far, and I will never, ever go back to steel.

I love the stuff. One of the few products truly worth the extra, IMHO

·
Registered
444 Posts
My synthetic lasted 1.5 years. I sheared it in the snow this winter, it dropped in a drift and was cut by rocks. I liked it but damn it's expensive, especially when you're pulling other people. It dropped to the ground when it snapped, that was nice. I'm running 3/8" steel now till I decide what to do.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
BillaVista said:
My Synthetic has lasted well so far, and I will never, ever go back to steel.

I love the stuff. One of the few products truly worth the extra, IMHO
Ditto, the stuff is GREAT!!!!!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
And it's not like you can't get more than the rated capacity onto the 8274's drum...:flipoff2:

I'd say 125 ft. of 3/8" will fit fine.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Does anyone know the strength rating is for the 5/16 steel cable ? I'm tring to decide on 5/16 or 3/8 's synthetic and wanted to compare it to what I have now. I have an M8000 and can put 100' of 5/16 or 80' of 3/8's .

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I to like my synthetic rope. I am not one who takes care of the wire rope so it gets hammered fast where my fiber rope doesn't care and I do love the weight savings and safety of it. It is at least 2x as much but it is also 2x better IMHO.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How does the fiber rope hold up in wet & muddy environment??
Would gettin dropped into a muck hole bother it??
I don't go for the whole 'mud boggin' bit, but I'ld hate to have to say "Is there a way around this mud hole, I don't wanna get my winch cable dirty".:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
608 Posts
We run mainly bog type stuff, mud and all that. We all run synthetic.

2 years seems to be as much as we get fom a cable. 3 on some. If they get too bad on a day out, 15 minutes with a bucket of water to clean them means you get the grinding paste out of them.

No worries. Go for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts