Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a little winch comparison chart.

When I was looking for a new winch I had difficulties choosing one from all the different brands and types so I made my own comparison sheet. (Don't think there is anything like it on the net yet :S )

Winch Comparison!

Flame suit on

Oh and sorry the 8274 is not the best winch in the research....... but no durability is tested, just the figures.....

Flame suit off :flipoff2:

Cheers Bowy with a new HS9500

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
A usefull metric to add would be how long it takes the winch to overheat and stop working. I've been impressed with the pulling strength of the newer warns, but they never seem to be good for more than one or 2 long pulls before they overheat (I'll keep my 8274 ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEs that would be a good thing to ad, but do you know were I can find those statistics? I would love to ad the durability factor to the stats but it;s just impossible with the data available..... :(

Cheers Bowy

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
If you search around, I have posted a comparison like this before on and off over the last 2 years ;)

But props to you for getting the info formatted and on the web.

Can I make a suggestion? Swap the X and Y axis information so you scroll down to see the various moels, not across... Much more pleasant to the eyes that way :)

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Bowy said:
YEs that would be a good thing to ad, but do you know were I can find those statistics? I would love to ad the durability factor to the stats but it;s just impossible with the data available..... :(

Cheers Bowy
You'ld have to actually test them, I don't know of any manufacturer who is going to state that you can run their winch for 15 minutes before it overheats :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can always ask every supplier, to give me one of their winches to test it :D:D:D:D

Cheers Bowy

maybe two of every kind to be sure of it ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have personaly seen more than 5 HS9500 and i cant count how many others shut down after a couple of long pulls. 8274 is the only way to go in my book. All others just dont compare.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
oldjeep said:
A usefull metric to add would be how long it takes the winch to overheat and stop working. I've been impressed with the pulling strength of the newer warns, but they never seem to be good for more than one or 2 long pulls before they overheat (I'll keep my 8274 ;)
Does the 2-pull overheating occur with the 8274-50 as well, or just all the planetary winches? I'm curious if the 8274-50's higher hp (4.6) motor has overheating concerns compared to the orig 8274's 2.5 hp (I think) motor.

And rarely does someone mention that the heat emitted by a planetary winch's motor easily travels into its drum, where as 8274s have a more syn-rope-friendly, cooler drum than the planetaries do since the 8274's motor is separated from its drum by the heat-dissipating oil-filled case.;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
My upright does not overheat. I can do multiple 80' pulls all day and it will cook my battery way before the winch motor even feels warm to the touch. I wrote the following on "another board". One thing I forgot to mention was the planetary winch's constant overheating:

Ok, in the real world there is a lot of talk about what you do and do not need in a winch. A lot of people are buying the little Mile Marker and Ramsey 8K electrics and even the 8K Planetary Warns. This is fine if you never plan on doing a long, continuous pull. I personally have preached the virtues of the Warn upright forever because of my luck with it, but now I have some very serious personal experience to draw from.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to assist in a very long (1/2 mile), very steep (barely driveable in a locked rig), nasty ass recovery. Let's just say, that if we had all had the planetary type winches we would still be there. Either of the two Warn uprights could do 7 to 8 80' pulls (3700 lb Toy with no drive to the wheels) in the same time it took the planetary winch to do 1 pull in the same terrain. There is simply no comparison. Now, let's add to the picture the fact that it was freezing cold, snowing, sleeting, raining and foggy. . .and dark. Your winch just became a life saving device instead of an unstuckering unit. I would also suggest (and am upgrading to) dual batteries. Our uprights never got hot and never stalled out until the batteries started cooking. As a sidenote, this was only the start of the recovery, we still had another few miles of tight trail and about 15 to 20 miles of dirt road before the tow rigs. I towed him with a strap. Anyone who could see what we went through would understand.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here's a pic. This was 1/2 way up. We started at the bottom of this canyon at about 1:30pm. Rolled in to the tow rigs at about 1:00AM. This is Rimrock, WA.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I havn't overheated mine yet, and I'm generally one of the guys who winds up strapped to a tree pulling other jeeps up bad sections. I'm sure it could happen, but the motor is up away from everything else and really doesn't heat up the case and drum like a non upright winch does.

The synthetic line is a non issue for me, I've seen more of that stuff snap just this year than I have ever seen with steel line. I'm more concerned with an uncontrolled fall due to a snapped cable than I am with recoil (Just throw a winch weight over the line and be careful). I run 125 ft of 3/8" stainless.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
oldjeep said:
I havn't overheated mine yet, and I'm generally one of the guys who winds up strapped to a tree pulling other jeeps up bad sections. I'm sure it could happen, but the motor is up away from everything else and really doesn't heat up the case and drum like a non upright winch does.

The synthetic line is a non issue for me, I've seen more of that stuff snap just this year than I have ever seen with steel line. I'm more concerned with an uncontrolled fall due to a snapped cable than I am with recoil (Just throw a winch weight over the line and be careful). I run 125 ft of 3/8" stainless.
oldjeep, great to hear of real world experiences from you and OldGreen. :)

I still would like to know if you both have 8274-50s or orig 8274s so I can assess any real world heat issues on the 4.6hp motors.

oldjeep, interesting choice of winch cable. Do me a favor and speak to the obvious: Were you willing to lose 25ft in orig 5/16" cable length to gain the strength of the 3/8" SS?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
4x4Poet said:
oldjeep, great to hear of real world experiences from you and OldGreen. :)

I still would like to know if you both have 8274-50s or orig 8274s so I can assess any real world heat issues on the 4.6hp motors.

oldjeep, interesting choice of winch cable. Do me a favor and speak to the obvious: Were you willing to lose 25ft in orig 5/16" cable length to gain the strength of the 3/8" SS?
I'm running the original 30+ year old motor on mine. One of these days I'd like to upgrade to the newer one, but works fine for now. Havn't needed the extra 25 feet yet. When I got the winch it had no cable on it, and I liked the safty factor of the thicker cable. It's a little tougher to deal with, but I've got no complaints.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
what no warn 12k or larger?

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Nice info! A very good reference.

I'm still kickin my old M8000 (in the background here):

When this thing finally fries, I'll get something bigger, but honestly I haven't managed to kill it yet. I've stalled it several times, broken countless cables, ran multiple full-length pulls in a row, submerged it, ran it past the duty cycle many times, and generally beat the crap out of it.

I gotta say, it may not be the most powerful winch out there, but it's durable as all hell. I've opened it a few times to regrease the planetaries, but aside from that, it's all original.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts