Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wats up all. Just got myself a Warn M8000. My friend was telling me to get a kill switch for the winch just to be on the safe side, so i decided to do some info on it. Seems like the winch is always on even when the car is off. So my question is how many of you guys are running a kill switch for your winch? I read that i need at least a 450 amp continuous kill switch to not fry the switch. Is that right? Brands and diagrams would be much appreciated. Also I'm open to other ideas as well.
Thanks
Kev

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
None. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

It's switched on with the controller activates the relays. By your thinking, your starter is always "on" too.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
For what purpose? :confused:

There are ways to make it in-op, but that kind of depends on what your reason is.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
IF you hardwire the winch controller to the dash, then it's not uncommon to put an 'on-off' switch next to the 'in-off-out' switch. This prevents an accidental "bump" from activating the switch, which in turn activates the winch.

I've never heard of anyone putting a switch on the main power feed to the winch motor. Because it's already on a solinoid pack, which means that two seperate solinoids would have to BOTH fail, and both fail at the 'on' position. Remembering of course, that when solinoids typically fail, they fail in the 'off' position.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
my only thought on what hes talking about is maybe for the main wire... maybe just so encase you get into a accident it doesnt smash into the body and ground out. if thats the case just buy a battery shut off switch like they use on drag cars.

or what about a terminal with a wing nut on it, that way you just disconnect it if you arent going to use it

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
The above statements are correct. However, I do have master disconnect switches on all my vehicles that don't see daily use. It's somewhat for theft avoidance, but honestly more so I don't walk out to a vehicle that goes "click" after sitting for a few months.

In doing so, I run a battery terminal disconnect so you have to pop the hood and turn the big lever 90-degrees. I run it on the negative terminal and it includes everything connecting to the negative battery terminal, including the winch ground. Required a little more thought with a dual battery setup, but same concept applies.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
my only thought on what hes talking about is maybe for the main wire... maybe just so encase you get into a accident it doesnt smash into the body and ground out. if thats the case just buy a battery shut off switch like they use on drag cars.

or what about a terminal with a wing nut on it, that way you just disconnect it if you arent going to use it
A main power cut off is a good idea. Although not common.

Most people just hook the power wires for the winch straight to the battery. This is normally not a problem as long as a solenoid doesnt stick.
I've had a winch on every rig for 10 years, and never had that happen... BUT

The last time I went wheelin, the "IN" solenoid stuck on my buddy's winch, he was stuck on a ledge, and I hooked the cable to a tree up on the next ledge (6' vertical). When he started winching, it wouldn't stop... He put the jeep in neutral and jumped out to un plug the winch controller, which still didn't stop the Jeep, so the only way to get the winch to stop was to disconnect it from the battery... Which required popping the hood, and using a 1/2" wrench to "unbolt" the ring terminal from the battery post...

Not the easiest thing to do when the Jeep is creeping towards a 6' vertical ledge with a tree on top...

On my next rig (which the battery is mounted in the cab) I'm going to run the winch power wire through a marine disconnect switch like this: you can get different sizes/ratings. Marine wiring stuff is pretty cool for a offroad rig.
http://www.boatersplus.com/blue-sea...se&utm_content=MM-BS9004E&utm_campaign=google

·
Registered
459 Posts
My dad had a solenoid stick while he was winching himself out on an old warn winch he had on his tractor. Nothing broke but the battery terminal and cable end were glowing red by the time he go the battery disconnected. Like was said I think a main battery disconnect would be a good idea.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
might want to use a disconnect when using one of those "wireless" winch controllers. i watched a video of a guy loose fingers when some radio interference cause the winch to spool in at the wrong time pulling his fingers into the drum.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
When he started winching, it wouldn't stop... He put the jeep in neutral and jumped out to un plug the winch controller, which still didn't stop the Jeep, so the only way to get the winch to stop was to disconnect it from the battery... Which required popping the hood, and using a 1/2" wrench to "unbolt" the ring terminal from the battery post...
Glad he got it stopped in time. I had a buddy have the "IN" solinoid stick while winding in the line. It bent the frame and broke the steel cable before we could get it stopped. We simply beat the controller box with a rock and it worked.

·
Registered
370 Posts
we run a master switch in the live line between the battery & the winch solenoid, i have one large isolater to kill all 3 winches fitted to the vehicle,

it hasnt happened to me personally but i have seen it happen on another vehicle during a very heavey winch pull, have the solenoid contacts weld together & keep winching in even with the winch control switch not being operated,

although we do use the winches slightly harder than most with them either being over volted 24/12 or 24v systems with multiple motors

dont use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATTERY-I...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1e6ce177ba

as they melt

i personally use this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-H...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cffdb2bd5

with 3 winches running through it

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Glad he got it stopped in time. I had a buddy have the "IN" solinoid stick while winding in the line. It bent the frame and broke the steel cable before we could get it stopped. We simply beat the controller box with a rock and it worked.
That's what we did also, beat on the box with a screwdriver, worked fine the rest of the day. He ordered a solid state contactor the next week

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
When I started reading this thread I thought why would you want to do this....after reading the replies it makes sense to me. I personally have never seen a winch get stuck in position where it would not shut off.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yeah, there was a thread here recently about a runaway winch that ended up breaking since the solenoid stuck and it wouldn't shut off. I'd say a battery disconnect would just be cheap insurance and I plan on putting one on my winch.

Here is the thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080045&highlight=
Here's the video from that thread. It can happen to anyone. There are pics in the thread that show the carnage. I have a switch now!

winch break - YouTube

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
This has been in the back of my mind ever since I came around a corner to see a park service truck hit a deer, and shortly after catch fire, all because the winch shorted out from the impact.

The truck would have driven from the scene had it not caught fire.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts

I've always kept my winch power cable disconnected (terminal w/wingnut). A stuck solenoid had never crossed my mind though. I just may have to look into a kill switch (at least my M8000's solenoid box is pretty much right up front if I ever need to smack it lol).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the responses and help. Would it be the same if i was to get a terminal for the winch only that has a on-off or is a kill switch better?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 51 Posts