Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mounting fr and rr winches in my Dakota, and just have a couple quick questions
Been looking for a thread I read about this exact thing and can't sedem to find it.

Front-
8274 mounted into a prerunner style tube bumper.
By the time the plate runs up the bumper, it ends up on about a 45* angle down, If I where to mount it conventionally I wou;d have to remove a lot more of the grill than I do now, and I'm a little fond of the slope on the front(helps me ramp over stuff)
Questions are, will the winch on that angle affect the oiling, and will the fairlead hold up to the cable always pulling on the upper roller?

Rear-
Champion 8000lb mounted under the bed.
It's a knockoff similar to a ramsey with the solenoids over the drum. I can't mount it upright do to space constraints, so I'm mounting it face down with the solenoids towards the front of the truck. This way the cable spools over the top from above the rear bumper, and the fairlead will be about 10-12" away.
Questions are, will being face down affect the winch at all(I don't see why) and what are the downsides to the fairlead being that far away?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
not sure on oiling of the 8274, you might be able to just overfill it, but being a foward mount winch same as the 12k & 15k they can't be mounted feet down or they will come off, not sure about your angle............rear, unsure also
call the makers.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Warn isn't feet down, it still mounts forward, and pulls against the mount not the bolts, it's just not straight vertical.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
The Warn isn't feet down, it still mounts forward, and pulls against the mount not the bolts, it's just not straight vertical.
I know it's not feet down:homer:

I have 2 8274's, did ya think I wouldn't know that:laughing:

call or email warn with the angle, it may be a no no;)

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured you knew how it mounts, I just meant that it wasn't rotated that far down by me.......

Anybody on a Monday morning?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts