Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
How tough is this stuff anyway ? I hear it is roughly 1.5 times the strength of like size cable . What about abrasion resistance?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Daveyclimber said:
How tough is this stuff anyway ? I hear it is roughly 1.5 times the strength of like size cable . What about abrasion resistance?
I talked with Scott at Rockstomper about this. One example he gave me was how long a cable or rope lasted Camo. He told me that one full spool of cable would last Camo roughly 1 trail ride before it was fraid and kinked all to pieces. A full spool of rope would last Camo many many moons.

I've never wheeled with Camo(different coasts) but I'd like to if I ever go back out west. I've seen enough here and read enough here to know that Camo is very competetive and likes to push things to their limits. Sounds like alot of fun to me.

Plus rope won't kink and from the way I understand it after you put a kink in a cable it weakens dramatically.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have been interested in the rope as well. My concern is that the rope might fry or get damaged dragging against sharp rocks. It would SEEM that the cable would take more abuse and still hold up (if your were careful not to kink it)? I have heard that the rope is stronger, but for how long? I was watching a compatition on 4x4 TV and one of the competators had knots tied in their rope, whats up with that? It seams like an easy enough solution to a broken rope, but would a cable just have held up and maybe gotten kinked (or not)? Not sure, I just want what is going to last the longest and be the most reliable.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I haven't bought that rope yet but I remember seeing sleeves advertised to protect it from sharp rocks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I remember seeing sleeves advertised to protect it from sharp rocks.
Go to yer local outdoor shop and get a chunk of inch/inch and a half TUBULAR nylon webbing. Open it up and slide it over yer rope as yer installing it on the winch. Presto! Cheap, tough protective sleeve that even comes in various colors.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Seems like another PITA to me, but that could be inexperience talking.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i still run cable, but have seen the rope in action, i think it would be a good buy if your cable is chewed up, the rope is also much easier to handle, and winds back up really well. i would say rocks and mud would be its enemy though, but for the ease of use it beats cable hands down.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
firbolg said:
Go to yer local outdoor shop and get a chunk of inch/inch and a half TUBULAR nylon webbing. Open it up and slide it over yer rope as yer installing it on the winch. Presto! Cheap, tough protective sleeve that even comes in various colors.
Or you could just order a rope from rockstomper with one already on it.

I got 100' of 3/8" rope from Rockstomper... best price by far that I found - especially since I bought it on a group buy. I can't tell you how well it's held up, since the 8274 it's going has been out back in pieces, waiting for me to get around to rebuilding it.

What sold me on it was being winch bitch for a buddy. Instead of tugging the steel cable up the hill behind you and almost breaking your neck twice, you just pull out a couple dozen feet and toss the hook up the hill. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Winch Rope is also safer than cable because it does not act like a whip when it breaks (does not store the energy). I have seen cable take out windshields, grills, and even small trees when they break. I believe that is also why they now require them in many competitions....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts